Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on

In this Discussion

Model number of your favourite SATA drive for servers.

Model number of your favourite SATA drive for servers.

ZenZen Member
edited August 2012 in General

Shoot! If possible list failure rates you've had in the past. I'm drawn towards WD as usual but I've heard people having much lower failure rates with other brands (Seagate?) so please do the honours and scream at the top of your lungs the manufacturer you side with.

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA

• CoreyCorey Member, Provider

High rate of failure on WD in the first 6-8 months.... but after that it seems smooth sailing.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • I've had better reliability with my Seagates.

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

Available for Consulting | Currently UNEMPLOYED | Proudly financed by Austrian government | [email protected] |
    Unlike others i do not need shitty affiliate links in my signature.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited August 2012

Seagate Constellation ES(Quality Drive, 130MB/s Sustained) HD103SJ(Again, another Quality Drive, But slightly less at 125MB/s from new). The F3R 1TB, Which is the RAID Edition of HD103SJ(Not much difference at all, It's pretty much like how WD do a RAID Edition, Even though the standard Samsung drives can be used for HW Raid).

WD RE4, I only have bought one, and I haven't had chance to test it yet since it is a spare. I bought it because it has 5 Year warranty pretty much.

• I've recently been turned on to Toshiba 7.2k SAS drives. Reasonable price, proper SAS interface, and a 6gb/sec interface

Before that, we were building systems with Seagate SV35 drives, and had absolutely no problems with them: