Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTB: second hand servers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WTB: second hand servers

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: This is I believe 65+ collocation fee. Yes? No?

This is 65$ in total monthly. Includes collocation.

• TazTaz Member

No way! Link pease.

• @earl said: Honestly I don't think it makes sense to pay $800 for a server and colo it.. considering you still have to pay $40/month colo fees for your $800 server.

the server is really old with no iLO and once after a year, there is no warranty, which really worried me, but the guys over there are really friendly and nice.

Depending on the needs, l5420's are really nice and good performing.

• @Zen said: I would personally rather spend 1-2k on hardware with a minimum 3 year life span and collocate it than spend a year paying in total 800$ and be left with 200$ worth of hardware which is inefficient and bogged down.

+1

Thanked by 1Zen
  • earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@Zen

It's not $800 for the server since you can't include the $40 a month you would have to pay for colo fees $65 -$40 colo= $25/month for the server.. $25 x 12 month =$300 and the serve is yours.. so the next year you can continue to colo the HP @ Dacentec but now you only have to pay $40/month as the server is already owned by you.. so after the first year you have an 8core CPU with 16GB ram for $40/month which is the colo fees.. you could even upgrade the HP with more drives/memory etc..

you can also consider the $25 /month for the first year you pay for the server a type of insurance cause if anything is to break on your server it's replacement is free, covered by Dacentec

by the time you've reached your 12 month mark you are left with OLD-OLD hardware which was viable as second hand a year ago but is now really starting to drag down

I dont think a 64bit 8 core server will be obsolete within the next year.. I still see on WHT people renting out Pentium 4 / D..

@zhuanyi said: the server is really old with no iLO .

you don't need iLO cause they give you free Lantronic KVM, also the dl360 G5 is probably the same age as the HP SE1101 since the G5 will only take the 5400 series Xeon, but your not paying $800 upfront instead only $25/month for the SE1101

Thanked by 1EricCubixCloud
  • Low Power Processors, Like the L5420, Will always be popular and are capable to do anything that any E3 can do, Apart from the obvious differences(HT, Etc.., Modern Capabilities) but in terms of hardware and speed, it is way above average and performs good.

The CPUs I use are probably 1 Year +, Cleaned the thermal paste off and made it look like new, no issues with the hardware I use.

But like I said above, If you have a restricted budget make the most viable and sensible option, but if your budget can stretch then go for it.

@Zen said: I would personally rather spend 1-2k on hardware with a minimum 3 year life span and collocate it than spend a year paying in total 800$ and be left with 200$ worth of hardware which is inefficient and bogged down.

This guy knows what he is talking about..

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Depending on the needs, l5420's are really nice and good performing.

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov
  • TazTaz Member

@earl Do not forget the Remote Hand cost, Additional hardware cost (Morphy rules ) and so on.

• earlearl Member

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Do not forget the Remote Hand cost

at last I checked should be free at dacentec & datashack.. but i'm sure within reason

• TazTaz Member

@earl said: at last I checked should be free at dacentec & datashack.. but i'm sure within reason

Free remote hand? Wait what? Where? How? Who? Why?

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Free remote hand? Wait what? Where? How? Who? Why?

Why not? Many DCs offer it lately, but of course 30 minutes or something like that are the free time included per month.

• What do you think of this setup?

Supermicro SC815TQ-R650UB 1U Black Chassis w/650W Red PSU
    Supermicro X7DBU Server Board
    Two Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5405 Processor 2.00GHz 1333MHz
    IPMI Management Card Supermicro AOC-SIMSO+ IPMI 2.0
    SATA RAID CONTROLLER INTEGRATED Intel SB SATA 3.0Gbps Controller
    16GB RAM (4x 4GB 667MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC KVR667D2D4F5/4G)
    Not sure about the HDD's (probably 1TB SATA Raid 10 and maybe SSD cache)

• TazTaz Member

Yes that I know. 30 minutes remote eye and hand and such but that barely does anything.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Free remote hand? Wait what? Where? How? Who? Why?

I was chatting with Brooks from DataShack yesterday. No remote hands past getting you up and running online. They don't charge for simple stuff and $80/hr for the rest billed in 15min increments.

Similar situation with Dacentec I assume.

• TazTaz Member

@EricCubixCloud said: I was chatting with Brooks from DataShack yesterday. No remote hands past getting you up and running online. They don't charge for simple stuff and $80/hr for the rest billed in 15min increments.

Similar situation with Dacentec I assume.

This should be it. Techs won't work for peanuts after all. Then again, LAkid will chime in and say DC SHOULD HAVE TECH 24/7 INCLUDING SUNDAY AND CHRISTMAS FOR 40$ COLO. :P

• earlearl Member

@Zen said: You're paying 800$, the breakdown does not matter..

How you figure?? I'm paying $780 of that $480 is the service to colo and $300 for the hardware.. I'm not paying $800 for the server!! of course the break down matters!!

• TazTaz Member

@earl said: How you figure?? I'm paying $780 of that $480 is the service to colo and $300 for the hardware.. I'm not paying $800 for the server!! of course the break down matters!!

You are paying for a used server, used hardwares that might be reaching it's EOl, HD that have been used for god knows how long till you get it your self. That 300 could very well endup being 3000.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: You are paying for a used server, used hardwares that might be reaching it's EOl, HD that have been used for god knows how long till you get it your self. That 300 could very well endup being 3000.

Can't agree with you. The only part of that hardware that might fail is the HDD. Not nearly close to 3000.

I have seen that CPU's in action in production nodes, performing extremely well, even comapring to my Xeon nodes, which are using newer and more expensive CPU's.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: You are paying for a used server, used hardwares that might be reaching it's EOl, HD that have been used for god knows how long till you get it your self. That 300 could very well endup being 3000.

you know if the failure rates on used servers was that high the market for used servers would be very low!! you have to take into consideration of the application your trying to use it for.. If I was making $100K/month then yes it's justified to buy new servers from HP/Dell and pay 100K and up for your equipment but for a hobbyist like me the failure rates on used server would be very slim as they wont get much use and as always you should have a back up anyways

Just to add I have bought more than my fair share of used IT equipment and so far I have never had any failure that was not attributed to something I did wrong.. and just because you bought a new server does not guarantee it won't fail in the next month

• TazTaz Member

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Not nearly close to 3000.

Failed HD, Order a new one (assuming Enterprise nor Desktop) +shipping =300$+
    Ram Dies Thats another good couple of $$
    Remote hand 30 minutes free, past that? Things get pretty expensive when you use used hardwares and colo.

• TazTaz Member

@earl said: $100K/month

If I am making that much, I would better get full blown server, own cage, 24/7 on call tech.Just saying, for my personal blog or backup servers, those used ones are great. If anything else, Sorry but I can not compromise by business and clients satisfaction for couple of bucks. I do not want to suffer in the long run.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Failed HD, Order a new one (assuming Enterprise nor Desktop) +shipping =300$+

Ram Dies Thats another good couple of $$
    Remote hand 30 minutes free, past that? Things get pretty expensive when you use used hardwares and colo.

RAM is really unlikely to fail.
    And why go with 300+ HDD< when you can get mcuh cheaper second hand with warranty?

Anyway, I am not saying that people should not buy new hardware or that this is better than new hardware. But taking in consideration that the parts that most commonly tend to fail are the HDDs, the cost of 200$ per server (Not talking about dacentec, generally speaking) and the performance you get. This is a killer deal (with this and similar CPU's)

• TazTaz Member

@Alex_LiquidHost said: second hand

Second hand anything is bad. Either it is woman, kids or products and cars. This is just my opinion. I would like to offer the best I can afford not the cheapest I can find.

• TazTaz Member

@Zen said: Don't be surprised when they tell you $800 or more.

Most likely it can be less if you sign a year long contract and they are using used hardwares/recycled parts. This is most likely a loss leading setup same as many provider does with cpanel and such.

• earlearl Member

@zen
    I think you are complicating this more than it need be... $40/month is what they charge to colo your equipment in their DC.. this is the price for everyone so if i had my own hardware that i want to colo with dacentec i would have to pay a minimum of $40.. hence i'm deducting it from the cost of $65 server to get a figure of what i'm really paying for the HP...

Also i spoke to them regarding buying out the server for the supermicro its $225 and for the HP its $330 plus shipping

The HP is selling on ebay for around $300 -$600 cant see how you dont see this as an awesome deal!

• earlearl Member

@Zen said: You've still ignored all of my other points..

and you've completely ignored the actually offer that I posted.. it states no contract!! you can cancel anytime no lock in at all.. and I did mention you can buy the server for $330 so you don't need to be with them at all or pay $800 to dacentec before you get your server

@Zen said: I think you're not understanding that it is rent.. there for the COLO price they charge as standard is not a marker for how much they pay when you RENT.

Not really sure what your trying to say?? ok let's give another example with datashack.. they have a similar spec it's 2x l5420 cPU 500gb 8GB ram 20tb BW @ $69 do you think this deal would be better than dacentec? mind you you never get to own the server with datashack!

• Earl, Go with the Rent To Own L5420, Once the contract has ended, You can just use it as a homeserver if you wish since the L5420 is Power Effecient at 50W.

@earl said: Not really sure what your trying to say?? ok let's give another example with datashack.. they have a similar spec it's 2x l5420 cPU 500gb 8GB ram 20tb BW @ $69 do you think this deal would be better than dacentec? mind you you never get to own the server with datashack!

• earlearl Member

@Jacob said: Earl, Go with the Rent To Own L5420, Once the contract has ended, You can just use it as a homeserver if you wish since the L5420 is Power Effecient at 50W.

Yeah I did.. I just don't understand this post thought why would you pay $800 for a used server then colo it at a DC when you pretty much have the same spec for $65 all in..

also what would it cost to buy a new server with 8 cores similar to the HP ? I'm guessing it would be $3000 and up and it's only warranted for 1 year!! why would you pay that much for a new server cause your scared a $60 hard drive or $100 ram module will fail on a used server? is it not cheaper to just pay the replacement if hardware does fail on the used server

@earl An l5420 serevr can be assembled for 200$ or around 300 with double HDDs.