Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Preferred forum software?

Preferred forum software?

winstonwinston Member
edited August 2012 in General

For anyone who runs a forum, what is your preferred software for it?

I prefer MyBB but I'll also settle with phpBB3, and Vanilla seems pretty cool.

MyBB - Easy to set up and looks great with the right theme, also very quick and easy to add custom pages to. The mods and theme site is difficult to use though, and adding plugins would be useful to have in the AdminCP (like wordpress) phpBB3 - I haven't used it in several years but IIRC it has a nice new in-adminCP mod system and it doesn't look that bad Vanilla - It seems original and very fast

What do you prefer? (and if you don't mind, a general description of what you host)

Comments

• Have you checked LET?

Or are you just creating new post to gain post counts?

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
    Thanked by 1Taz
  • No I was creating a discussion, thanks for the hostility.

• TazTaz Disabled

SMF ftw, Light weight, dev friendlly, awesome community, a lot of useful mods available , good default anti spam setup and last but not the least, They got some Sexy Themes for SMF over @Dzinerstudio.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• I used SMF for a while but I didn't like the URL system. It has a lots of mods and the themes are 'okay', but the anti spam is annoying (at least in my opinion it is) - if you submit a post and it errors that you have to wait, and try to submit it again, it tells you that you already posted it and it's a duplicate - very annoying, you must to back to the thread and re-enter the post.

• InfinityInfinity Retired Staff

I think what Erwan is trying to say is that this has been discussed before..

Anyways, my personal favourite is MyBB, awesome plugin base, easy to code with etc.

我是一个巨魔 (;

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • BrandonBrandon Member
    edited August 2012

I really like IPB, vBulletin and Vanilla.

• winstonwinston Member
    edited August 2012

@Infinity said: I think what Erwan is trying to say is that this has been discussed before..

Oh, my bad, does this need to be closed?

I also tried out vBulletin and I absolutely hated it. I couldn't stand the AdminCP/ModCP (it's ugly) and compared to MyBB (converted from MyBB to vBulletin) everything seemed to take 10x longer to do the same action

I haven't had a chance to use IPB yet.

• MyBB/PunBB/FluxBB

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

• TazTaz Disabled

@klikli said: FluxBB

^This^ Easiest thing to integrate with an existing website (in terms of design) and what we plan to use for NH.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

Thanked by 1flam316
  • Xenforo is a good forum software as well.

• MyBB

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • @Night said: Xenforo is a good forum software as well.

I heard Xenforo is a stolen vBulletin with a facelift :O

• I always found MyBB quite complicated to update. Has that changed or is there any Auto-Update function now? Otherwise, I liked MyBB.

Got divided by zero. Three times. What a ride.

• @Amitz I think you still have to upload + overwrite all of the files if that's what you mean

• Yes, that is exactly what I mean and what I disliked somehow...

Got divided by zero. Three times. What a ride.

• @Amitz said: Yes, that is exactly what I mean and what I disliked somehow...

yeah, it's a pain in the ass, especially when you edit the files to make group colors display on the board index :(

• flyfly Member

phpbb isn't that bad. it's pretty much the standard. vanilla is pretty stupid tho.

• InfinityInfinity Retired Staff

@winston said: Oh, my bad, does this need to be closed?

Nah, there's no need, let the discussion go.

Vanilla's backend is pretty crap, it looks alright for the end-user though.

我是一个巨魔 (;

• I like the simplicity and look of vanilla. It, unfortunately, won't work for any of the forums I host :(.

• OSQA?

• @kampung said: OSQA?

Huh?

• Open Source Question Answer

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • @winston said: Huh?

www.osqa.net/

• Previous LET CMS

• @fly said: looks awful lol

agree'd haha

• @winston said: @fly said: looks awful lol

agree'd haha

Looks beautiful for me :D

• RophRoph Member

Long time SMF user here. I love it.

For tiny forums I have dabbled with SMF using SQLite for the db, though it's a little feature heavy if you want something incredibly simple. Instead I'd go with FluxBB for that purpose.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • joepie91joepie91 Member
    edited August 2012

@winston said: I heard Xenforo is a stolen vBulletin with a facelift :O

No, it isn't. Thank god it isn't.

It's basically a bunch of disgruntled vBulletin devs that decided to make their own forum software, as far as I am aware. And seriously, XenForo is absolutely excellent. If they managed to make such a good piece of forum software by ripping of a piece of crap like vBulletin, they are probably the best code refactoring team the world has ever seen.

If I had free choice, I'd always pick XenForo. If it has to be free, SMF. Their code is quite messy, but it's pretty secure, and very lightweight.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

Thanked by 1Night
  • Any forum can look good with the right theme. When it has to be public and dynamic, I go with the standard. Keep up to date and apply some theme, that is it. Free, as usual, so, it is, as you guessed, phpbb. The more tested that is, the more secure in my eyes, even tho phpbb passed a time with horrible coding and security, that is in the past now. M

Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my drive A: ?

• I just remember using phpBB3 in 2008 or so and it was at version 3.0.1 or something - it's been what, 4 years, and nothing has changed besides a few security updates?

• My philosophy: why fix it if it aint broken ? 3.0 was a really good release IMO. M

• well I was referring to the fact that there were no new features added in 4+ years :<

• What features would you need that arent supported by official modules/contribs ? M

• We're looking at IP.Board (Invision), which I'm partial to for some of its UI features. The goal will be to build a client forum within the upcoming VPS6.NET community portal. IP.Board is licensed, so possibly not the best option for everyone.

VPS6.NET, LP - http://vps6.net - Xen PV, HVM, Windows VPS hosting in USA, DE, RO, and TR.

• I've been a guest on a few IPBoards and, personally, I find all of the ajax/javascript/popup stuff a little too much (I don't know how to explain it)

• IPB all the way. Very nice code.

My Advice: : VPS Advice
  • Put once an invision board, but i think it was free then otherwise i wouldnt, ppl hated it. I was also more used to phpbb and dropped the idea, but wasnt bad, also were scripts to convert from one to another, and they really worked. Overall not bad experience. M

• Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any free board software that has custom page support (so I can add my own content with PHP and display it with the forum layout), built in or via plugin. MyBB can do it with a plugin, but I'm looking for other boards besides MyBB. Oh, and please no SMF - I've had some terrible experiences with it and that wound is still healing :'(!

• NickMNickM Member
    edited August 2012

I have to agree with @NinjaHawk, for pretty much exactly the reasons he listed. Add on SimplePortal and PrettyURLs, with a theme from DzinerStudio and you have an awesome site.

@winston, what kind of bad experience did you have with SMF? I've only recently started using it (within the past year or so) and haven't run into any issues.

Lead Developer - HostGuard Control Panel

• @NickM I dislike the look and feel of the admin cp, and the page addon continuously sent users to blank pages. It also seemed that no matter what theme I put on it, it was always hideous. The "duplicate post submitted" error when you submit a post and it gets caught by anti spam is also very obnoxious and has yet to be fixed. Overall it was miserable and I'm not ready to revisit it.

• New Vbulletin is horrible, I've kept my larger forum on the old 3.8 version.

I actually quite like Vanilla (since using it here), but it's not as customizable.

+1 also for http://xenforo.com/ worth a look.

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • I too found VB4 to more worse than its older v3.8. Although, lately, I've ditched VB entirely and been loving iPB. Xenforo also looks worthwhile.

• i am also looking for free forum software i need the forum must be integrated with a group in facebook(in a simplest way)

• +1 XenForo +1 phpBB for free

-1 vB

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • +1 for phpBB by the way SMF is also good.

• I would go for NoNonsenseForum, a PHP based forum, writes everything to RSS files, uses no database...

http://camendesign.com/nononsense_forum

Features

No Database All data is just RSS. Starting a new thread creates a new RSS feed. Replying adds an item to the feed. No hoops to jump through I just want to talk, I don’t want to go through registration and e-mail confirmation and logging in each time.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    https://raymii.org - https://cipherli.st
  • TazTaz Disabled

@Raymii Forums greatest asset is the userbase and content. Without dose, why have a forum?

• @NinJaHawk

I just want to talk, I don’t want to go through registration and e-mail confirmation and logging in each time.

How much data can leak out if they don't have any data?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    https://raymii.org - https://cipherli.st
  • I use phpbb mostly because it's tried and true but it's a PITA to integrate a design with it.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!