Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Can i install Ubuntu desktop on Xen VPS?

Can i install Ubuntu desktop on Xen VPS?

sonicsonic Member
edited August 2012 in Help

Hi, Can i install Ubuntu desktop on Xen PV? If yes, please link me to tutorial. I want to run Putty on Ubuntu Desktop :D

Comments

• I want to run Putty on Ubuntu Desktop :D

Why would you want to run Putty on Ubuntu? It has the official fully feature support OpenSSH client.

The Original Daniel.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • Tks, i'll try it. Is it ok to install ubuntu desktop on XenPV vps? 256MB Ram is OK?

• @sonic said: Tks, i'll try it. Is it ok to install ubuntu desktop on XenPV vps? 256MB Ram is OK?

I think you'll be pushing it; however if you went with a lightweight desktop environment it might be ok. Look at something like XFCE

Thanked by 1sonic
  • MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited August 2012

Yes, 256 ram can work. Will not be fast and may put strain on resources. I would suggest 512 RAM. Try xfce4 or lxde. M

Je suis pas Charlie, freedom of speech must apply to any religion, any idea and anyone. If only people of certain religions, ethnicities and with "correct" ideas can express themselves publicly, that is not free speech.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • pcanpcan Member

Tested on KVM 512Mb and Ubuntu 12.04 iso, but you can try on Xen: Install the base system from ISO, then

sudo su apt-get update apt-get dist-upgrade aptitude install ubuntu-desktop apt-add-repository ppa:x2go/stable

(if you get a "command not found" error: apt-get install python-software-properties )

apt-get update apt-get install x2goserver

nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config ----> enable ChallengeResponseAuthentication to YES apt-get install x2goserver-xsession

On the x2go client configuration, use this custom command: /usr/bin/gnome-session –session=ubuntu-2d

Thanked by 1sonic
  • xfce is not lightweight enough. lxde is light but maybe something like openbox is more apt

• edited August 2012

You must install Ubuntu Server and lxde, it is a lightweight desktop environment, lxde is only 50MB, after that, you have to install vnc4server to remote your vps

Install lxde: apt-get install --no-install-recommends lxde Install vnc4server: apt-get install vnc4server

at the frist time, you have to login to user you want to run vnc server and type: vnc4server Enter password. VNC Server will run without config and create config file in home directory. (/root or /home/username). Now, you type: vncserver -kill :1 to kill vnc server open .vnc/xstartup in home directory and edit

# unset SESSION_MANAGER # exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

to

unset SESSION_MANAGER exec sh /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

(Remove # and Add "sh") Run vnc server again, type vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x700 -depth 16

Download VNC Viewer, UltraVNC Viewer,... and connect to your vps with VNC Server: IP:1 or IP:5901

exam: 12.34.56.78:5901

Good luck!

• Your other option is using NX instead of VNC, I find it provides a superior desktop experience. You can run LXDE + NX on a Xen 128 but don't plan on doing much else, i.e. firefox.

http://www.sonicboxes.com/?p=69 <--- Barebones LXDE & NX installer, you still need to install any apps you may want to use.

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @nunim said: http://www.sonicboxes.com/?p=69

Gratz, that is a nice tutorial :) M

Je suis pas Charlie, freedom of speech must apply to any religion, any idea and anyone. If only people of certain religions, ethnicities and with "correct" ideas can express themselves publicly, that is not free speech.

• Yes you can install gnome or KDE

Cheap Virtual Private Server!