Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Banning Ips
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Banning Ips

Will i be making a mistake by banning Cloudflare Ip range from my server? I have Amazonaws banned already.

Comments

• Unless you are using Cloudflare, Otherwise, if you see no need for their servers to connect to you, the choice is yours. I don't know if it would be a mistake, unless you forget about it and wonder why Cloudflare doesn't work some day in the future.

• i am just trying to prevent junk traffic coming to my site. in terms of ad serving i mean.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited January 2015

SItes using Cloudflare don't use Cloudflare IPs for outgoing connections.

So the only thing you will prevent is Cloudflare to work on your domain.

I mean, they are not a web hosting service. Ban their range if you want, but I don't see how that will make any differences.

• I don't think CloudFlare servers will make any connections to your server if you hadn't sign up with them.

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited January 2015

It will not make any difference at all, thus banning their IPs will be useless.

As others have mentioned before, banning their IPs will work against you in the future if you decide to use CloudFlare but forget to lift the IP bans.

If your website receives a lot of traffic I'd recommend using CloudFlare or a similar CDN so that your users can access your site faster, and you'd also get the benefits of CloudFlare's many security benefits, i.e bot detection.

• Did you see traffic coming to your server from cloudflare? Like in logs?

• If you are seeing traffic to cloudflare that you dont recognize, it is likely you are participating in DDoSing cloudflare. Make sure your server is not pwned, ntp is patched, etc.

• ok thank you for your opinion. I have decided to keep cloudflare ips but i have banned amazonaws range of ips.

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@lossehelin said:
    ok thank you for your opinion. I have decided to keep cloudflare ips but i have banned amazonaws range of ips.

Why not check the server logs and see what traffic sources are causing the 'junk' traffic?

When blocking junk I have found htaccess rules better than just blocking ranges of IP's.