Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU Load: How much is too much?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPU Load: How much is too much?

PcNyPcNy Member

Hello,

I'm new to VPS (and Ubuntu too) and have purchased several plans. Here are the questions.

• How can I know if my VPS instance is using too much CPU load? Currently I assume that if my VPS package comes with a single core CPU, I should not let the load average (the 3 sets of number in "top" command) higher than 1 for a long time. Am I right? If not, what's the correct way/command to determine it?
  • What's the generally accepted range of CPU load (for long duration)?

I know that VPS owners wouldn't love it if customers use too much CPU for an instance. But it's important to us to know if we're under-utilizing or over-utilizing the resource.

Comments

• said: If not, what's the correct way/command to determine it?

Ask them.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

A lot of this depends on what your providers CPU policy is. Some allow you to abuse all you want (dr.Server for example) and others allow you to abuse your vCore(s?) for x amount of time.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • Point 1 depends on what your providers policies state. But in essence your right.

Again depends on provider and their policies.

Some providers use burst e.g. you can use all the core for a set amount of time other providers may also limit your CPU load via other methods so e.g. 1 core isn't a full core its only allowed 10-20% of said core.

• Put it this way I have just got a email for a load average of 40 for last 15minutes on a dedi

• My general rule when using VPS's from other providers is keep the load under 0.50 for 1 core VPS, 1.50 for 2 and above cores and never had any issues so far.

Using all your cores for an hour or so should be no issue.

• [root@server ~]# uptime
    11:39:51 up 2 days, 21:44, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    [root@server ~]#

• This varies by provider, but should be stated clearly in their acceptable use policy.