Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GoodHosting problem?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GoodHosting problem?

I was wondering if anyone else has problems with GoodHosting? On January 25, I was told that: "We are aware of an issue relating to I/O errors being displayed on cx13. cx14 and cx15 . We are working on a solution as we speak!"

We are now approaching January 29 and I've been without my servers for 4 days. They are not responding to my phone calls, emails, tickets or anything. And as I type this, the servers are still down.

Has anyone managed to get in touch with them or got any updates from them about when the problem will be fixed?

Comments

• There are loads of these threads. Is GoodHosting going downhill or what?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

He has a problem answering tickets but usually find a quick answer when summond here.

Not sure if he found someone to help him with support tickets when he was looking for one here.

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    There are loads of these threads. Is GoodHosting going downhill or what?

No, i highly doubt it, Goodhosting is highly repute provider.

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • It sounds like goodhosting runs it by himself and is unable to cope with the load. Thats what it looks like from all these threads.

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • PremiumN said: It sounds like goodhosting runs it by himself and is unable to cope with the load. Thats what it looks like from all these threads.

You probably nailed it :)

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2015

While I understand the bewilderment created by GoodHosting not reacting here and to tickets (in time), I want to point to a recent thread, where GoodHosting showed a commendable, constructive, and generally excellent reaction to complaints.

I guess, he's just somewhat screwed and overloaded by some support people being ill or the like.

From what I can see, there is no whatsoever reason to assume ignorance, bad will or, worse, that provider going downhill.

Give the man some hours, I'd say.

Someone here able to ping him to have a look here?

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: I guess, he's just somewhat screwed and overloaded by some support people being ill or the like.

Or he's on another vacation.

• To be honest I will not ask for support 24/7 or a fsat answer considering the low cost.

• This is like the 4th or 5th thread of this kind I have seen.. o.O

• Yep, just wait, he must be bussy with something else.

;)

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited January 2015

@dragonhawk said:
    We are now approaching January 29 and I've been without my servers for 4 days. They are not responding to my phone calls, emails, tickets or anything. And as I type this, the servers are still down.

It is very important to note that our phone support is not always available, especially between the hours of midnight and 8AM Pacific Standard Time (for obvious reasons.) We do have standard hours on this. As per the Support Tickets, they are being replied to as the issue is being sorted.

CHI-2 has been fully recovered and is back online now. CHI-1, however, is still undergoing recovery. (That's what happens when you use multiple terabyte data stores; even if they are SSDs, they take some time to resilver.) We have been updating the Support Tickets as new information comes available, as we will update our Twitter when all finishes.

I do not appreciate 40+ calls at 2AM when there are already active tickets on the matter, especially not after a successful phone conversation; and multiple calls that resulted in one of us not being able to hear the other (Read: Skype phone systems are bad.)

• Oh damn, when will hosters finally learn about the importance of communication, namely to pro-actively inform customers about any ongoing trouble and the work on it.

It seems - I'm guessing here - that many hosters think that prominently placed notes like "Nodes A, B, and C experiencing problems. Working on it. ETA: xyz" might given them a bad image.

Well, no, they do not. In fact they rather give the image of a transparent provider properly reacting to and working on any problems and desiring to keep his customers well informed.

• @bsdguy said:
    Oh damn, when will hosters finally learn about the importance of communication, namely to pro-actively inform customers about any ongoing trouble and the work on it.

-split infinitive

We have, on our Twitter and website, in reply to Support Tickets, etc..

In fact, if the OP is who I think he is, he already has a Support Ticket open too.

• @GoodHosting

Answer my sales ticket :P may need it sooner than later, also need to know if I can clone an existing VM? So I don't have to bother you with Ubuntu's shitty VirtIO Driver issues like last time.....

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • http://clients.goodhosting.co/announcements.php

"No Announcements to Display"

THAT is where I would look.

Thanked by 2GoodHosting aglodek
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2015

@bsdguy said:
    http://clients.goodhosting.co/announcements.php

"No Announcements to Display"

THAT is where I would look.

Yet you'd have another person swear up and down that the only professional place to announce it is on a FAQ page. You just can't win with everyone, that's how this business works. Clearly the clients have been adequately notified unless he's lying.

What you absolutely can do is spend too much time talking about problems with everyone who wants to chat about them, spend half your time writing announcements in every place anyone would look, and no time working on the problem. You can look professional by doing these things but not be because you're not actually doing anything but handling press.

I think a healthy balance is key.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited January 2015

@Jar said:
    Yet you'd have another person swear up and down that the only professional place to announce it is on a FAQ page. You just can't win with everyone, that's how this business works. Clearly the clients have been adequately notified unless he's lying.

Last update on the Server Status page - Resolved,

Chicago1 Lockup ; CentOS System Issue (Resolved)
    Affecting System - chicago1.goodhosting.co Hypervisor | Priority - High

We are currently reacting to a service issue found on Chicago1 node which has caused serious service instability. We have tracked the issue down to bugs in the CentOS distribution and have reported such. The node must be restarted for the patches we have applied to take effect, and as such we are currently working to pause and save all running instances now to prepare the node for a reboot. This process should take less than half an hour.

Update 2014-02-05 06:26:

The host node has been restarted and performing wonderfully now. We are resuming all containers now. Normal loads should resume within ten minutes.

Update 2014-02-05 06:35:

This issue has now been resolved.
    Date - 05/02/2014 05:51 - 05/02/2014 06:35
    Last Updated - 05/02/2014 06:36

http://i57.tinypic.com/nyba4k.png

• We have not used "Announcements" for some time:

https://twitter.com/GoodHostingCo

That's why we have Twitter integrated into WHMCS (feed shows on client area.)

I'll note that I never wanted to make a Twitter, but LowEndTalk specifically requested it. @Jar (You were in the thread where everyone was crying, haha.)

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@GoodHosting said:
    We have not used "Announcements" for some time:

I'll note that I never wanted to make a Twitter, but LowEndTalk specifically requested it. Jar (You were in the thread where everyone was crying, haha.)

Was that the vacation thread? Back before I realized you're not just any host here, you know your stuff ;)

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • Not being a customer I couldn't access the network status page.

And yes, one can't please everyone. But this being the 21st century it should be within reach to have/make a script that publishes such info at multiple sites/media one deems relevant with a single action.

Anyway, my point was certainly not to hunt or paint bad GoodHosting (see above. I actually "defended" them). Please note, that I said "providers" - and not "GoodHost". My remark was of a general nature.

I understand that the situation isn't easy for a provider. But I understand also that unhappy (cause: not informed or feeling badly treated or scammed) customers going wild and soon berserk, spreading "Is provider X a scammer?" all over the place is certainly not what a provider wants (or so I would think, maybe wrongly).

Apologies to GoodHoster if my general remark was mistaken as being against him. It was not. In fact, my impression of him is quite good.

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • Now that I have had a chance to go and clean out most of the tickets, I will reply to each of the issues in this thread so that nobody is left confused or ill-informed.

Thank you for alerting me to this thread Dear Moderator.

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    There are loads of these threads. Is GoodHosting going downhill or what?

We're not going anywhere :)

@MikHo said:
    He has a problem answering tickets but usually find a quick answer when summond summoned here.

Not sure if he found someone to help him with support tickets when he was looking for one here.

Yes, we are still looking. It is amazing how many people don't know what "bondable" means. Some people don't quite understand that a person under the age of majority can't work for a company internationally (not legally at least.)

@MSPNick said:

Thanks for the kind words. And thank you for the BHS help.

@PremiumN said:
    It sounds like @goodhosting runs it by himself and is unable to cope with the load. Thats That's what it looks like from all these threads.

We have three members of staff, but I am the only one with access to this LowEndTalk account (or any of our other forum accounts.) If you remember about half a year ago, when we purchased HardCloud; they managed to post some nasty things on this account and made a rather big mess I had to clean up. I do not intend for anyone else to create a mess such as this ever again.

(See above.)

@bsdguy said:
    While I understand the bewilderment created by GoodHosting not reacting here and to tickets (in time), I want to point to a recent thread, where GoodHosting showed a commendable, constructive, and generally excellent reaction to complaints.

Thank you for the kind words! I did have fun debating with you the other day.

@ATHK said:
    GoodHosting

Answer my sales ticket :P may need it sooner than later, also need to know if I can clone an existing VM? So I don't have to bother you with Ubuntu's shitty VirtIO Driver issues like last time.....

If you post me the ticket ID, I can make sure I handle it today.

@Jar said:
    Was that the vacation thread? Back before I realized ERROR you were not just any host here, you know your stuff ;)

I think it was :).

@bsdguy said:
    Not being a customer I couldn't access the network status page.

Which is fair, but we don't use that page either (few people do outside of cPanel, as that is the only one where the plugin handles updating the "Network Status / Issues" page in WHMCS automatically when tasks are executed on the nodes.) We are working on replacing WHMCS entirely, hence why we do not use its features.

And yes, one can't please everyone. But this being the 21st century it should be within reach to have/make a script that publishes such info at multiple sites/media one deems relevant with a single action.

Yes, with "Twitter Integration"; our posts to Announcements would go to our Twitter page, but as stated above we make sure not to use any features in WHMCS that we don't plan on implementing in our own panel.

Anyway Nevertheless, my point was certainly not to hunt or paint bad GoodHosting (see above. I actually "defended" them). Please note, that I said, "providers" - and not "GoodHost.". My remark was of a general nature.

I don't think anyone here took it as an attack :).

I understand that the situation isn't easy for a provider. But I understand also that unhappy (cause: not informed or feeling badly treated or scammed) customers going wild and soon berserk, spreading "Is provider X a scammer?" all over the place is certainly not what a provider wants (or so I would think, maybe wrongly).

It's getting kind of tiring with all these threads, but we're doing what we can ti keep customers more informed so that they don't need to open threads in any other places to feel they are being handled with care.

Apologies to GoodHoster if my general remark was mistaken as being against him. It was not. In fact, my impression of him is quite good.

No offense taken, of course.

I do apologize if anyone's quote was edited by my browser or Operating System, I can currently beta testing a publisher-centric Operating System with automatic grammar interception and wordiness handling. [ so that I give you guys less long essays. ]

• GoodHosting said: If you post me the ticket ID, I can make sure I handle it today.

It's not that important, deal with any outstanding stuff first mate.

• @GoodHosting said:
    I do not appreciate 40+ calls at 2AM when there are already active tickets on the matter, especially not after a successful phone conversation; and multiple calls that resulted in one of us not being able to hear the other (Read: Skype phone systems are bad.)

Sorry about that, our phone conversation cut out and I didn't hear what you said, which is why I tried to call you back to get you to repeat, but you never answered. Again apologies for calling you that late. I'm just getting really anxious as I have a responsibility with my customers. I could handle a day or 2 downtime, but 4 days is really pushing their loyalty.

That said, Damon has always been there for me answering calls late at night (I'm in Australia, so there is quite a big time difference) and I would definitely recommend their service to anyone.

The purpose of this thread is not to bag goodhosting or anything (as this problem could have happened to anyone). I was just after a status update and an ETA so I can at least notify my customers of the issues that goodhosting is facing.

Thanked by 1diszk
  • bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2015

@GoodHosting

Just a small side note: Would you, please, kindly limit your strike-through corrections to your own statements.

You see, I'm not a native english speaker and I know that my english is obviously less then of a high standard. Seeing my mistakes publicly corrected makes me unhappy because it reminds me harshly that I'm not as bright as a man should be who is as ugly as I am ;)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GoodHosting said: I do not appreciate 40+ calls at 2AM when there are already active tickets on the matter, especially not after a successful phone conversation; and multiple calls that resulted in one of us not being able to hear the other (Read: Skype phone systems are bad.)

Honestly, though, if you're going to publish a phone number and say you're providing phone support, getting a bunch of phone calls at an inconvenient time when you have an outage kind of comes with the territory, doesn't it?

Unless you meant those 40+ all came from the same person...

Thanked by 1diszk
  • raindog308 said: Unless you meant those 40+ all came from the same person

Yes, that was probably me, but in my defence, the phone was never answered. I just assumed he was out of the office at the time I called and not ignoring me on purpose. Which was why I kept calling back hoping that he would catch the phone ringing when he got back in the office.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@dragonhawk said:
    Yes, that was probably me, but in my defence, the phone was never answered. I just assumed he was out of the office at the time I called and not ignoring me on purpose. Which was why I kept calling back hoping that he would catch the phone ringing when he got back in the office.

these people...

• To clients in CHI-1: Open a Support Ticket, and we will give you an account on CHI-2 to make your new instance in, to get you online faster!

— Damon Blais (@GoodHostingCo) January 29, 2015
  • zedzed Member

@GoodHosting said:
    We have not used "Announcements" for some time:

I'll note that I never wanted to make a Twitter, but LowEndTalk specifically requested it. Jar (You were in the thread where everyone was crying, haha.)

Might be a good idea to update announcements and server status and however many other notice locations you have but don't use with a simple "check twitter/blah instead", save you some posts like these in the long run.