Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Kimsufi to So you Start, worth it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

From Kimsufi to So you Start, worth it?

Hi,

I finally decided to transfer to So you Start. I love their phone and email support. They are so eager to help.

but...

I would like to confirm something regarding the additional failover IPs. I'm planning to cancel all of my VPS (servers) and just use one server which is either SYS-IP-1 or SYS-IP-2. I'm planning to install something that will allow me to have the KVM thingy. I don't know, I guess that's Proxmox. So, I would be creating 2-3 KVM-based servers. The first one is for my personal website. The second one is for hosting Wordpress-based websites of my friends and the third one is going to be my file backup/storage server, replacing my MediaFire account.

So for the websites, I badly need 2 U.S-based IPs since most of the visitors are from the U.S. Do you think they have a U.S-based additional IP failover? And can I use them in the KVM stuff that I'll be doing?

I've talked with OVH (North America, Ireland and UK) and So you Start (Canada, Ireland). They said that the U.S IPs are not available when the server that you ordered is located in Europe. It is only available in the North American data center, which is in Canada.

I've been waiting for more than 48 hours straight for the availability of servers in Canada and up until now, nothing is available.

Another thing, my So you Start account was created in So you Start Ireland.

Thanks.

Comments

• Yes worth it, their support is much better now. But I recommend SoYouStart compared to Kimsufi if you will used it for production.

• Their support is actually helpless in case of an issue with the server. They just redirect all inquiries to France and then you are at the mercy of the technicians there (they did not fix the rDNS of my VPS for a month, so I left).

I had two US failover IPs in Canada/BHS a few years ago, but one did not actually geolocate to the US for any website.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

said: I badly need 2 U.S-based IPs since most of the visitors are from the U.S.

...eh? Why exactly? You can't defeat the laws of physics, no "US-based IPs" will make your website faster for US visitors if your actual server is in Europe.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @nggaber said:
    Yes worth it, their support is much better now. But I recommend SoYouStart compared to Kimsufi if you will used it for production.

Yup, I agree. That's why I keep on monitoring their pages.

@4n0nx said:
    Their support is actually helpless in case of an issue with the server. They just redirect all inquiries to France and then you are at the mercy of the technicians there (they did not fix the rDNS of my VPS for a month, so I left).

I had two US failover IPs in Canada/BHS a few years ago, but one did not actually geolocate to the US for any website.

What I do is to always call them. I subscribed to Skype Unlimited World so that I can call any country anytime.

Regarding the IPs that you had, well I am also planning to use it for my personal VPN, for watching videos on Hulu and Netflix. I don't know if it'll work though.

@rm_ said:
    ...eh? Why exactly? You can't defeat the laws of physics, no "US-based IPs" will make your website faster for US visitors if your actual server is in Europe.

Yeah, but I need it for hosting the websites of my clients. Can't explain that to them.

• rm_ said: ..eh? Why exactly? You can't defeat the laws of physics, no "US-based IPs" will make your website faster for US visitors if your actual server is in Europe.

It could help, if he put reverse proxies on those two US based IPs. Though i'm not sure the complications would be worth it.

• AdventureTime said: What I do is to always call them. I subscribed to Skype Unlimited World so that I can call any country anytime.

Regarding the IPs that you had, well I am also planning to use it for my personal VPN, for watching videos on Hulu and Netflix. I don't know if it'll work though.

I called them 6 times :( they said they can't do anything, the technician dude in France has to fix it.
    I used it for a hulu/netflix VPN as well. :)

edited January 2015

rds100 said: put reverse proxies on those two US based IPs

How do you imagine a server with some of its IPs "based" on a different continent?

And no, they don't provide these via anything similar to a GRE tunnel or the like. (Even if they did, the effect would have been debatable).

It's all just about (wrong)geo-location and also maybe the subnet itself would be from ARIN.

• @rm_ i mean get a server in US with US based IPs, put reverse proxies on it that pull the traffic from the server in France. Though this could be usable only in some very specific cases and is not worth the complications.

edited January 2015

rds100 said: put reverse proxies on it that pull the traffic from the server in France

No one mentioned getting two servers :p

If you're doing that, then why not host your US-targeted websites on the US server in the first place.

• xyzxyz Member

Just stick CloudFlare in front of the websites? US visitors will see it coming from a US server.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @rm_ said:
    If you're doing that, then why not host your US-targeted websites on the US server in the first place.

And it would be faster.

• AdventureTimeAdventureTime Member
    edited January 2015

I already have 2 VPS (servers), DigitalOcean and Vultr. That is why I am planning to get just a single server and cancel all my other VPS(s). I guess having 2x 2TB of hard drive space with 32 GB of ram is enough for those 2. The cost will be more expensive. Imagine this, it's like I'm combining those cheap VPS(s) into one server with a lot of added bonus, and if you'll calculate the cost, it is more practical and cheaper.

Plus, I wanna take advantage the 16 free IPs.

After getting the server (Canada), I'll order the IPs. I'll install a kvm thingy like Proxmox, create OpenVZ stuff or KVM, then assign the IPs there. http://help.ovh.com/BridgeClient

• It's a good idea. But it won't be US-based as your clients want. If Canada is OK for them, then great :)

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited January 2015

AdventureTime said: Plus, I wanna take advantage the 16 free IPs.

Have you seen the little writing with the star under all the servers?
    Only setup fees of €2.00 /IP (or €2.46 incl. VAT) are required, renewal is free

So they charge €2 + VAT per extra "free" IP you want. So it will cost you €32 for 1 extra IPs + VAT (if you pay VAT)

And your plan to combine all in one server with lots of extra. It's temping for me also, but I don't want all my eggs in one basket. Having several smaller VPSs maybe with different providers etc, will make you setup much more robust. Having all in one server, in one location, can get you lots of trouble if there is something wrong with the server or network to the DC.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited January 2015

@myhken said:

And you will still need to have something else to store youre offsite backups.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Thats why I have this setup:

The servers in the middle is my main servers. The servers to the left is live backup servers (synced with rsync how often I want it to sync). The servers to the right is just for Virtualmin backup files, taken almost everyday, one day at one server, the next day on the next server.
    The server on top monitors all other servers so I have a page I can see uptime, load, that HTTP, FTP and MySQL is up.
    And a little extra server down to the left.

As a little extra, I have one local home server thats download backup files from the two servers at the right, and one remote server doing the same.
    And one server that takes backup of all the MySQL databases from all sites every night, and sync databases from the main servers to the live backup servers.

Of course using DNS failover service, so if one server goes down, it's up and running within 2-3 minutes at the top on one of the backup servers.

• @myhken said:
    Thats why I have this setup:

That's an awesome setup. Thanks for sharing it, I must say I've got quite a few ideas on how to improve my own setups thanks to your post.

• @myhken said:
    Have you seen the little writing with the star under all the servers? Only setup fees of €2.00 /IP (or €2.46 incl. VAT) are required, renewal is free

So they charge €2 + VAT per extra "free" IP you want. So it will cost you €32 for 1 extra IPs + VAT (if you pay VAT)

And your plan to combine all in one server with lots of extra. It's temping for me also, but I don't want all my eggs in one basket. Having several smaller VPSs maybe with different providers etc, will make you setup much more robust. Having all in one server, in one location, can get you lots of trouble if there is something wrong with the server or network to the DC.

Yes, of course. I said I will take advantage of the 16 free IPs. I basically needed just 3-4. And yes, I know for a fact that those have charges. But take note, one-time charges. I am definitely familiar with reading the Terms and Conditions footnote. One good example, I signed up with Namesilo.com instead of Namecheap, Godaddy and 1&1 for a domain.

Thanks for the tip regarding with the servers that contains lots of backups thingy or something. I must say, awesome diagram!

• zevuszevus Member
    edited January 2015

Why soyoustart instead of hetzner? Hetzner's prices are much lower. I've used both ovh and hetzner and didn't notice any difference really in terms of network quality. Support tickets, I can't really say, since I've only had to do one ever for Hetzner in about 2 years. That one, they responded to within a day and hooked up some LARA thing to my machine so I could fix an issue I was having, that was it.

At any rate, you can get an i7-3770 with 16GB RAM, 2x3TB HDD, with no setup fee for about $32.25 a month from Hetzner's serverbidding. The 32GB RAM variant costs about $36 a month. I don't see anything in soyoustart's lineup that's competitive with that.

.... just mentioning this since you said you decided not to go with a server in Canada. If you want a server in NA, then OVH is probably still the cheapest.

(ed: oh, and for people that are hung up on having to have Xeons instead of i7's, there is a xeon e3-1245v2, 16gb ram, 2x3TB enterprise HDDs for $36 usd/mo.... and, ah, nm, I misread. just said you created your account, not that you went ahead and got a server because of lack of availability in canada. i suppose I'll leave all that jibber jabber up above there though, in case someone else is considering soyoustart server in europe)

• @zevus said:
    Why soyoustart instead of hetzner? Hetzner's prices are much lower. I've used both ovh and hetzner and didn't notice any difference really in terms of network quality. Support tickets, I can't really say, since I've only had to do one ever for Hetzner in about 2 years. That one, they responded to within a day and hooked up some LARA thing to my machine so I could fix an issue I was having, that was it.

At any rate, you can get an i7-3770 with 16GB RAM, 2x3TB HDD, with no setup fee for about $32.25 a month from Hetzner's serverbidding. The 32GB RAM variant costs about $36 a month. I don't see anything in soyoustart's lineup that's competitive with that.

.... just mentioning this since you said you decided not to go with a server in Canada. If you want a server in NA, then OVH is probably still the cheapest.

(ed: oh, and for people that are hung up on having to have Xeons instead of i7's, there is a xeon e3-1245v2, 16gb ram, 2x3TB enterprise HDDs for $36 usd/mo.... and, ah, nm, I misread. just said you created your account, not that you went ahead and got a server because of lack of availability in canada. i suppose I'll leave all that jibber jabber up above there though, in case someone else is considering soyoustart server in europe)

What I am avoiding are the setup fees as well as the bandwidth cap. Having 32gb is cheap right? with ECC?

• zevuszevus Member
    edited January 2015

ah, did soyoustart remove its setup fees? yeah, hetzner's are rather bad, but the server bidding machines don't have any.

i don't really care so much about ecc ram vs non-ecc ram, I've only had one RAM stick fail me in the last decade or so. If you're running a database or some such w/ "really important data", I guess it might be worth the premium.

Hetzner's cheapest thing with 32GB of ECC ram right now is

Intel Xeon E3-1245V2
    2x HDD 3,0 TB SATA Enterprise
    4x RAM 8192 MB DDR3 ECC
    NIC 1000Mbit - Intel 82574L

Traffic: Unlimited
    1 Gbit/s bandwidth
    Operating system: Delivered in Rescue System
    This server is located at DC 19

It is €43.70. I have seen them cheaper, though. Probably the lowest around €41. Regardless, €43.70 is $49.32 at current exchange rate, which is lower than a 'somewhat equivalent' soyoustart machine at $56 (. I suspect Hetzner charges more for additional IPv4 addresses, though. From their pricing chart:

/29 (6 usable IPs) - € 8,00/Month
    /28 (14 usable IPs) - € 16,00/Month
    /27 (30 usable IPs) - € 32,00/Month

actually... that is cheaper than soyoustart. wow. Soyoustart says it charges $3 a month per additional IP. So that's actually quite a bit lower. The other difference is that you can expect much higher network speeds from Hetzner. Latency would depend on where you're located at, ofc... though I will say I used to have ~185ms latency to Hetzner, now it's ~151ms. Unsure if Hetzner made some improvements or if it's my ISP w/ better routing.

Only reason I think to have an OVH SoYouStart over a machine via serverbidding would be that canadian location I mentioned earlier.

I've done serverbear benchmarks on my diff hetzner servers;

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/08/19/I5gKYFqvs17TOoOv
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/09/13/mFoHKU12uQIi0DwW
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/10/03/Gi3zdh1w2Wp7tHJn

short form in order listed:

UnixBench score: 7454.5, I/O rate: 332.0 MB/second, Bandwidth rate: 66.8 MB/second UnixBench score: 7139.1, I/O rate: 167.0 MB/second, Bandwidth rate: 102.0 MB/second UnixBench score: 6831.6, I/O rate: 290.0 MB/second, Bandwidth rate: 88.6 MB/second

the 1st and 3rd had some software raid set up, 2nd did not, which I guess accounts for the lower I/O rate. soyoustart network rates won't even come close to hetzner.

• Yeah and I now have the following under OVH:

Chassis 1U/T3
    CPU Intel Xeon
    E5-1620v2
    Cores/threads 4/8t
    Frequency/burst 3,7 GHz+/3,9 GHz+
    Intel Smart Cache 10 MB
    RAM 64 GB DDR3 ECC 1600MHz
    Disks 2x 2 TB SATA3
    RAID SOFT/JBOD
    Bandwidth 500 Mbps
    Traffic Unlimited
    Burst 1 Gbps
    IP with no monthly fees* 256 IPs
    Public network card 1x 1 Gbps

Data center: Canada (but I'm planning to move it to Europe though yet I am still confused about it)