Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any benefit running Postfix/Dovecot MX on FreeBSD instead of Linux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any benefit running Postfix/Dovecot MX on FreeBSD instead of Linux?

Any benefit running Postfix in its natural habitat, as it were?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Bragging rights. Anyone can "apt-get install" ;)

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Resume items?

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited January 2015

@Jar said: Bragging rights. Anyone can "apt-get install" ;)

Okay, yeah, there's that ;) But seriously, there's a little more to an MX than apt-getting it... security, proper config, DKIM, finding a good balance between fighting off spam and ensuring important emails do get delivered to inboxes. Not to mention a good UI to manage all that.

Thanked by 2jar marrco
  • While I personally would obviously install any and everything network related on FreeBSD, nope, I would not see any significant reason for preferring it over linux for an MTA.

The reason is simple: Both performance and security of an average MTA depend way less on the OS than on proper config - which will naturally be best on the system an admin knows and feels comfortable with. If that happens to be linux, go for it ;)

Oh and btw: "pkg install" isn't exactly more complicated that "apt-get install". So, not even bragging rights with FreeBSD. Jokes aside, I would always recommend the ports way, i.e. make install clean.

Thanked by 2aglodek marrco
  • @bsdguy said: Oh and btw: "pkg install" isn't exactly more complicated that "apt-get install". So, not even bragging rights with FreeBSD. Jokes aside, I would always recommend the ports way, i.e. make install clean.

Thanks for your take on this. Any downside to going with OpenBSD, instead of FreeBSD?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

aglodek said: Any downside to going with OpenBSD, instead of FreeBSD?

For a mail server? Not really.

There's also OpenSMTP which is the OpenBSD default. Much cleaner/easier to use than postfix if what you want to do are very common scenarios, though postfix is more flexible overall.

Thanked by 2aglodek marrco
  • @aglodek said:
    Thanks for your take on this. Any downside to going with OpenBSD, instead of FreeBSD?

Congratulations. You have a talent for igniting religious wars ;)

Seriously though, No, OpenBSD is OK for that - albeit with some hesitation. Unless OpenBSD happens to be the OS you know best and are most comfortable with, I'd see it as less desirable. And please, pretty please, don't ask for reasons.

... waiting for ... "How about Solaris for an MTA" ... **g

• No idea what's the point for this.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited January 2015

@bsdguy said:

No religious fervour here, just trying to save myself time and effort and avoid hitting any walls or objects in the dark ;) From my limited sysadmin perspective, I'm equally "comfortable" with Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD. This is to say, I've tasted them all in a limited way. Having no fear of heights, or depths for that matter, prepping to dive in deeper, I prefer to spend my time on the extraordinary, hence my questions here, answers to which are equally applicable to Postfix as well as, say, Ansible for example.

@Profforg said: No idea what's the point for this.

Hopefully, I've cleared the air a bit above ;)