Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GVH moving out of Amsterdam?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GVH moving out of Amsterdam?

Looks like GVH either got kicked out of Amsterdam or have to move out, but just got the following notice. I'm not a big fan of this change, and their "AMS1E5" location was the best one all around but hey, cheaper IP's I guess.

@William , what did you do!?

Dear Valued Client,

GreenValueHost is committed to customer service and high quality. Recently our customers hosted at our Amsterdam location have been expressing some concern with the hardware performance of their products. We take your feedback very seriously and as such we’ve put a plan together to improve the level of service we are providing our clients currently hosted in Amsterdam.

In order to achieve our goals of providing a better virtualization and customer support experience for our effected customers, effective TBA, Amsterdam users will be migrated to our newest, ultra-high performance, nodes hosted at our Buffalo datacenter. These new servers will provide you with the raw speed our customers deserve. The new systems include the following specifications:

Dual Xeon E5-2620v2 Hex Core

8 x 1TB Intel SSD (very fast I/O)

LSI 9271-8i Hardware RAID-50

128GB DDR3 ECC RAM

Customers in Amsterdam formerly were hosted on Xeon E3-1240v3 and Dual E5-2620v3 nodes with inferior specifications (Enterprise SATA drives, less RAM, software raid, inferior hardware RAID cards), however with this new setup (and the free upgrade to SSD storage!), we can assure you that you will be even more satisfied with your new service.

Our Buffalo, New York network is powered by ColoCrossing’s premium network blend consisting of Tier-1 bandwidth carriers, ensuring stellar connectivity and uptime.

While we are sensitive that this transition may present issues for some due to the overseas location change, we are confident that this new enhancement will bring forth positive changes that will benefit all impacted customers.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via our helpdesk.

Thank you,
GreenValueHost

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

said: Recently our customers hosted at our Amsterdam location have been expressing some concern with the hardware performance of their products. We take your feedback very seriously and as such we’ve put a plan together to improve the level of service we are providing our clients currently hosted in Amsterdam.

lol, so yeah, we will fix the issues by moving you to a different country. Another fail communication with a dash of covering over the truth by the sounds of it.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • Nothing to do with the loss of those IPS?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Atleast they're moving to a premium CC powered Buffalo location.

Thanked by 2gsrdgrdghd netomx
  • @mpkossen can you confirm that Jonathan Nguyen is banned indefinitely whilst LET is under your reign?

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • I'm not sure about the loss of IP's, my William ones changed to ones from @AlexanderM.

• @linuxthefish - I thought that 'partnership/merger/strategic press release writing/ was over and Alexander had distanced himself from GVH.

• linuxthefish said: I'm not sure about the loss of IP's, my William ones changed to ones from @AlexanderM.

Yea, someone should tell him that ARIN does not like that at all, AMS is far outside the region...

• 8 x 1TB Intel SSD (very fast I/O)

There are no 1 TB Intel SSDs. The nearest are DC series at 800 or 1200 GB.

• trvz said: There are no 1 TB Intel SSDs. The nearest are DC series at 800 or 1200 GB.

Jonny doesn't know the difference. He has advertised 12GB of RAM as being 10240MB on WHT previously.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • So no comment from @mpkossen? Hearing Jonny making a return to LET is on the cards.

That email is well written too, I wonder if @jbiloh had any input?

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

I'd like to clear a few things up. Green Value Host is not out customer, someone bought IP's from us then without us knowing resold them.

We then noticed the ARIN IP's were announced in the EU - which we don't allow. So the reseller was giving a suspension warning.

While we welcome all customers, I was very irritate that the IP block was resold, however we had no justification to revoke the IP's at the time.

(Edit: Was on mobile, corrected spelling)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2015

Thanked by 1rm_
  • I'm not too sure if I got this right (I may be wrong), but didn't GVH move to Amsterdam, move out, then move back in again? (Then now moving out again)

• LeeLee Veteran

Pretty sure a lot of people did.

• Pretty sure I called this a while ago.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • AlexU said: I'm not too sure if I got this right (I may be wrong), but didn't GVH move to Amsterdam, move out, then move back in again? (Then now moving out again)

I don't think so, but I have only had a server with them since they opened "AMS1E5" and did those AMS discounts on WHT.

• Wow, maybe GVH can get their crap in order one day... Maybe in 10 years or so I'd guess.

• Amsterdam or Buffalo? That's a big deal in latency!

• The fact that despite all these complaints about GVH they still get a lot of business is rather overwhelming.

• @William said:
    Yea, someone should tell him that ARIN does not like that at all

I recall seeing some re-debate about this on the mailing list not long ago. If I remember correctly, it ended up being that a blind eye will be turned to allocations being used outside the region.

• I have one in AMS and one in Buffalo, both working just fine.
    But after this, one will have to go ;)
    It's a shame they are leaving AMS, from 8ms to 100ms is a big step in latency.
    So step by step they surely lose their customers.

• I assume this will leave any customer with an annual plan entitled to a refund on the IP surplus?

• Are they allowed under EU data protection directives to just move private data out of the EU?

• MunMun Member

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    The fact that despite all these complaints about GVH they still get a lot of business is rather overwhelming.

They are most likely coming back to let because they are not doing well.

• Microlinux said: I recall seeing some re-debate about this on the mailing list not long ago. If I remember correctly, it ended up being that a blind eye will be turned to allocations being used outside the region.

Well, not quite... IIRC, if you have, let's say, a /16 and only one or 2 /24s are announced outside ARIN, you might be Okay. Also AnyCASTing is an acceptable reason to announce IPs outside the region.

• Correct, considering AlexanderMs LIR is rather small even one /24 is already a larger portion of their total allocations.

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited January 2015

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Are they allowed under EU data protection directives to just move private data out of the EU?

No idea. But I was thinking of something simialar... it's not just a difference in latency (depending on the client's focus on the EU or US), but also a difference in jurisdiction!

Here one simple example: Copyright rules in the EU dictate that 70 years after an author's death his work becomes public domain. In the US this is no longer generally the case with the Copyright Term Extension Act. So, someone who has been hosting books @ gvh Amsterdam that are in the public domain in Europe could suddenly become a copyright infringer with gvh's generous move to Buffalo. But heh, those blazing fast 1GB SSDs probably make up for it.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@William said:
    Correct, considering AlexanderMs LIR is rather small even one /24 is already a larger portion of their total allocations.

Correct, we only have just over 10K IP's currently. We're going to reconsider part of our customer terms soon that we don't allow IP block reselling. GVH Have been refused IP's from us before - so not happy that someone tried to step over my toes.

• AlexanderM said: Correct, we only have just over 10K IP's currently. We're going to reconsider part of our customer terms soon that we don't allow IP block reselling. GVH Have been refused IP's from us before - so not happy that someone tried to step over my toes.

As you own the IPs, who dealt with the LOA?