Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Looking for some accounting advice

Looking for some accounting advice

edited August 2012 in Providers

Our accountant is having a hard time with whmcs and our orders. WHMCS doesn't exactly follow typical accounting practices in the way it operates and we are having a bit of a nightmare giving the accountant the info they need.

Are there any UK hosts here who have good success in accounting with WHMCS? We are also VAT registered which adds a little further complexity. Any help would be greatly appreciated and we are happy to compensate peoples time.

We've tried many avenues for solutions but getting everyone/everything on the same page is proving a nightmare. We deal with 1000s of orders per month. We're just looking for an ear from someone who is doing this or have overcome a similar hurdle

Comments

  • I am having the same issue, but in Bulgaria.. I spent my last month talkign with accounters and lawyers to give me legal advices about that. I have a meeting with accouting house in a couple of days to finalise teh things and prepare teh final documents for the VAT registration. I can let you know how it went though if you wish, it is different country, but still in the EU union and I might be able to give you some advices.

    Disclosure: I work for Query Foundry LLC.
    I own DA International Group Ltd.
  • Would be interesting to see what people come up with here, I always had that problem, however I personally just kept a full log, and any outgoing, I added as an "expense" to WHMCS. Worked "fine" as it kept its own accounting.

  • I only use WHMCS's reports to validate the reports we get from Google Wallet and Paypal. I recommend using your payment processors reports since, as you said, WHMCS is not the easiest to work with (especially since it calculates fees for some processors and not others).

    -Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, TX, and AZ
    Test our network here: Drgn.biz
  • JarJar Member

    Fire accountant, use excel.

  • Doesnt WHMCS integrate with Freshbooks or something, quite nice?

  • @Alex_LiquidHost said: I am having the same issue, but in Bulgaria.. I spent my last month talkign with accounters and lawyers to give me legal advices about that. I have a meeting with accouting house in a couple of days to finalise teh things and prepare teh final documents for the VAT registration. I can let you know how it went though if you wish, it is different country, but still in the EU union and I might be able to give you some advices.

    Thanks, it might be nice to share both of our experiences so far. We are already registered for VAT, that is not so much an issue and WHMCS EU VAT addon pretty much takes care of everything on that front. The snag is that VAT is not show at the payment processor. We convert all sales to GBP at the payment processor, yet whmcs records the sales + VAT in whatever currency the customer ordered in. Which makes reconciling VAT/Non-VAT invoices a chore.

    @eastonch said: Would be interesting to see what people come up with here, I always had that problem, however I personally just kept a full log, and any outgoing, I added as an "expense" to WHMCS. Worked "fine" as it kept its own accounting.

    There issues with reconciling/fees/refunds/vat etc. On 1000's of orders there are some that aren't exactly as they should be

    @KuJoe said: I only use WHMCS's reports to validate the reports we get from Google Wallet and Paypal. I recommend using your payment processors reports since, as you said, WHMCS is not the easiest to work with (especially since it calculates fees for some processors and not others).

    We'd like to do this but the payment processors do not show VAT (Sales Tax) so we need to work with the whmcs to identify invoices which are due sales tax and calculate appropriately.

    @jarland said: Fire accountant, use excel.

    We've been throwing it all through excel at the moment. Even with our accountant working on it, it's still proving a reasonable task.

    @eastonch said: Doesnt WHMCS integrate with Freshbooks or something, quite nice?

    >

    Tried all whmcs --> Style apps (Xero, Quickbooks, Kashflow) Nothing is really nailing it in my mind.

  • AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited August 2012

    @jarland said: Fire accountant, use excel.

    Our bookkeeper goes through our WHMCS invoices and puts all the data into a nice big spreadsheet we have from our accountant. It's a real pain in the ass but it's the easiest way for our accountant.

    PayPal and payment processing fees are a real pain in the ass.

    Tried Xero and Quickbooks, but it sucked. Let me know if you do find something :P

  • @ShardHost said: Thanks, it might be nice to share both of our experiences so far. We are already registered for VAT, that is not so much an issue and WHMCS EU VAT addon pretty much takes care of everything on that front. The snag is that VAT is not show at the payment processor. We convert all sales to GBP at the payment processor, yet whmcs records the sales + VAT in whatever currency the customer ordered in. Which makes reconciling VAT/Non-VAT invoices a chore.

    Well, I have a couple of meetings scheduled for next week. I will make sure to PM you once I get some results and advices from the accounting house. However if something happens and I do not PM you, just shoot a message at me at around wednesday next week and I will gladly share everything I understood and how we will be proceeding with the accountint issues.

    Disclosure: I work for Query Foundry LLC.
    I own DA International Group Ltd.
  • @Alex_LiquidHost said: Well, I have a couple of meetings scheduled for next week. I will make sure to PM you once I get some results and advices from the accounting house. However if something happens and I do not PM you, just shoot a message at me at around wednesday next week and I will gladly share everything I understood and how we will be proceeding with the accountint issues.

    It's appreciated. I'll message you then

  • @KuJoe said: I only use WHMCS's reports to validate the reports we get from Google Wallet and Paypal. I recommend using your payment processors reports since, as you said, WHMCS is not the easiest to work with (especially since it calculates fees for some processors and not others).

    This is pretty much what I do too. I remember seeing something that could help but I just can't remember what it was called. I'll reply back once I find it.

  • Guys have you tried to following addon: http://docs.whmcs.com/KashFlow_Accounting ?

    HTTP Zoom - httpzoom.com
  • @httpzoom said: Guys have you tried to following addon: http://docs.whmcs.com/KashFlow_Accounting ?

    We tried it and ran into some issues. Do you use it?

  • I've used that and a free trial to do some quick accounting when I needed it a year or so ago.

    Seemed to work well and was much better than just using WHMCS to get the details.

    HTTP Zoom - httpzoom.com
  • If you don't want to run into trouble when you actually go to your accountant, then use Sage. There is no alternative, especially not Kashflow.

    Loading Deck - Cloud Consultants: Server Management | Consultancy | Software Development
  • Use spreadsheet accounting - Unless you do XXXXX GBP per year this is legal and no problem.

    We have even more problems, which requires us to us proforma invoicing, editing templates (requirements of data shown in PDFs), making an external system for credit notes ("-" invoices), VAT checking of each ID, manual checking of each invoice, disabling funds (VAT issues) and payment by funds (because proforma invoices paid by funds STAY proforma), disabling mass payments (because it uses X proforma invoices then for the invoices, but only 1 normal invoice when it is paid, the others are then "paid pro forma" which simply cannot exist).

    And the list goes on and on....

    Opinions/Posts are to be assumed my own/personal and not company related unless obvious
    Working @ EDIS and owning some others (and/or parts of) | Available for consulting | http://as198412.net | https://william.si

    Thanked by 2eLohkCalb tux
  • What I do it is a pain in the ass, but I do everything in excel. Every few days I go through and update the excel sheet. Grant it daddcheese is much bigger than my company so im not sure how it would work for you.

  • We're attempting to use WHMCS for all of our account. For example, we've added server costs, and now that we have paid support techs, we're working on adding our expense for them into WHMCS too.

    It's kinda a pain in the butt to ask WHMCS to do these things, but I really like having everything in one place.

    I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • RandyRandy Disabled

    @jarland said: Fire accountant, use excel.

    THAT IS what i an actually using LOL, but when you get tons of orders. its gay shit :)

  • thanks for all the advice guys. We're now looking at sage with some advice from whmcs on how they handle things themselves

  • @Randy

    No offense but if you consider this difficult you will be crazy years ago working in a no gui system .......... :S

    Btw are you a coder, developeer or similar?

    http://mitihost.com/ -> Great Shared Hosting for a good $$

    https://freevps.us/ -> Great P2H Forum to get free VPS's

  • PatsPats Member

    @martip07 said: No offense but if you consider this difficult you will be crazy years ago working in a no gui system .......... :S

    but for accounting no gui was faster. I remember that time i was working on a Inventory project on Oracle Developer. previously the company used non gui software developed in C++ with in CSV format to load in Excel. I went for initial OS, Software & app installation to few depots. One operator was working on the keyboard(no mouse) so fast issuing materials. He asked me, heard the new system is good, it'll make my work faster? Oh man, i couldn't say anything. I could only calculate that by his speed (key few things & tab-tab & again key-key & Enter) the issuing speed will decrease by 30% on the new gui-app.

  • Well good point .... :P

    http://mitihost.com/ -> Great Shared Hosting for a good $$

    https://freevps.us/ -> Great P2H Forum to get free VPS's

Sign In or Register to comment.