Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ Ploop to Simfs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ Ploop to Simfs

Hello guys,

I'd like to convert existing ploop containers to simfs. How can I do this?

My OpenVZ version: 2.6.32-042stab102.9 (RHEL 6)

And is there a way to force simfs onto new containers?

I really hate ploop or it's simply misconfigured or something. Example: I assign 50 GB to the container but way less is available inside the VM. I use a bit of this space and the used space on the hostnode goes up to about 2-3x of what I really used up inside the VM. I want to get rid of ploop. It's a private dedi anyway so I don't care about ploop and it's features/advantages.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
SandwichBagGhost

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Have you tried "vzctl compact VZID" to reclaim the free space? Setup a cronjob for automatic clean up.

If you really want to convert it back to simfs there are a few unofficial scripts out there like this one: https://gist.github.com/dlage/8dd97c285e2dd41f58c2

Thanked by 1SandwichBagGhost
  • Hello KuJoe,

No I've not yet tried what you've mentioned.

I also found this script on Google a while ago during my research. I haven't tried it yet but will do soon with a test container.

But is there a way to get new containers setup with Simfs instead of ploop?

SandwichBagGhost said: But is there a way to get new containers setup with Simfs instead of ploop?

Edit /etc/vz/vz.conf and set VE_LAYOUT=ploop to VE_LAYOUT=simfs

Thanked by 1SandwichBagGhost
  • Thanks again KuJoe. I applied the change to the file. Does it work instantly or do I have to reboot? Not a problem if I have to reboot just asking so maybe I can actually avoid rebooting.

It should be instant but in lieu of a reboot you can always restart the VZ service if you want to be sure (service vz restart) just keep in mind restarting the vz service will bring your VPSs down while it's restarting.

• Alright. Thank you. Hopefully it'll all work and I can get rid of this damn ploopfs. It's really annoying. I have had a container with 200 GB space of which I only could use 186 GB inside the VM. I Uploaded backups and some other stuff. Had about 13 - 20 GB used but the hostnode had 65 GB used up. Before it just had 5 GB as I had nothing else than OpenVZ installed and some templates. Annoying... And I don't like this fake speed of ploop.

I just ran the vzcompact on a VPS I use for backups and it freed up almost 100GB on the node. Time to add that cronjob. :)

• That's pretty neat! Do you have ploop running inside your containers of simfs?

edited January 2015

I have some VPSs that use ploop in dev and one for backups on its own node but the rest are simfs.

• Ok ;). Thanks again for your help KuJoe. It works.