Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Onapp Took over Solusvm?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Onapp Took over Solusvm?

MonsteRMonsteR Member
edited January 2015 in General

So this is probably been posted before but just seen it myself, Its interesting as I think we will have a all around better Solusvm Virtual Server panel + system with all the improvements ill list what it comes the updates under, but I hope all the billing + pricing stays how it is currently.

Improved Support

From the start of the New Year, we’ll have a brand new support department in place. All support operators will have undergone training and will attend regular meetings with senior staff, where we can all keep in sync with any issues and resolve them promptly.

You will also be able to rate the performance of support and give feedback if needed. This really is a win-win situation for everyone :)

Powerful Statistics

The lack of decent stats about virtual servers and hypervisors has been a thorn in your side for some time now. So we’re developing a unique new way of collecting statistics that means you’ll be able to gather extensive data from any Linux, Unix or Windows virtual servers.

Reliable Backups

Creating a dependable, intelligent backup system is almost an art form in its own right, as many of you will know from experience. It’s high time SolusVM included a backup system that’s reliable and intelligent enough to alert you to possible errors, control I/O levels and support incremental storage.

Now we’re a part of OnApp we have the resources at hand to bring you that ultimate backup system.

Professional UI

The UI is obviously extremely important to most SolusVM customers. A clean professional UI always makes a good impression on you and your clients, and we now have a team of designers who’ll be adapting the SolusVM front end with more responsive, fluent and intuitive design elements.

OnApp Federation

One of the most exciting things we’ll be doing is enabling SolusVM to access resources from the OnApp Federation – a global pool of cloud capacity that you’ll be able to use to deploy virtual servers on, on demand – just as if it were your own local infrastructure.

Better Billing Modules

Improving the way SolusVM integrates with 3rd party applications is another big focus area for us. A new module for WHMCS is being produced, and we’ll be providing more support for application developers to help them produce the results they’re aiming for.
Bundled Freebies :)

We have some amazing buying power here at OnApp, and we’ll be bringing some awesome deals and freebies to you in the near future. Exactly what will depend on how you use SolusVM – and whether it’ll be big discounts, or 3rd party products for free, you’ll just have to wait and see!

Documentation

As most of you know there’s quite a lot of SolusVM documentation that is out of date, or available in different versions from different locations. Our documentation team is now updating everything, and migrating it to a single location – which will make life easier for you, and for us.

QA Testing

We’re adding a new QA process to qualify all SolusVM stable releases. Our new QA team will test all features as they are added into beta builds, and run final tests before a “stable” status is achieved.

Regular Releases

Our aim is to deliver releases in a timely manner, with speedy beta builds for anyone who wants the very latest, bleeding edge features.

New Updater & Installer

The current installer and updater can often cause issues when upgrading hypervisors. We’ll be introducing a new RPM-based installer to give a much more reliable and secure upgrade path.

Comments

• As a user of both products, I am hoping to see SolusVM's UI looking like OnApp's without any loss of functionality.

• Yep, @MonsteR lived under a stone.

• @cassa starting to feel like that, just been so busy lately.

• Old news :)

• SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

DalekOfSkaro said: As a user of both products, I am hoping to see SolusVM's UI looking like OnApp's without any loss of functionality.

Lots lots lots going on here :) and yes, A nice clean UI written by the guys who know best is going to happen!

• SolusVM said: Lots lots lots going on here :) and yes, A nice clean UI written by the guys who know best is going to happen!

Hey Phil! I just signed up for the Private Branch and cannot wait to see what it looks like :D

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2015

Please make a decent backup solution, tweaking the UI should be the last concern.

• They have listed many features coming in next update. Excited.

• Maximum_VPSMaximum_VPS Member
    edited January 2015

@MonsteR nice ADD @SolusVM or now known as @OnApp any comment? Not like it's been MONTHS or anything ....

• @Maximum_VPS said:
    MonsteR nice ADD SolusVM or now known as OnApp any comment? Not like it's been MONTHS or anything ....

Check 4 comments above your own...

• The Berlin wall came down?!

I wouldn't expect any miracles.

It's standard practice to send out the new and improved line when there is an acquisition. It will likely be a long time until you see any significant portion of it come to fruition. It's not like Solus has a lot of competition it needs to keep up with . . . it's the industry standard, pouring money into something that doesn't give increasing returns doesn't make a lot of sense . . . everyone is already using it.

They'll probably deny this, but it was almost surely a customer acquisition. It makes more sense they would eventually phase out SolusVM and convert users to their existing product. It may be more of a slow morph, but I doubt Solus will be a standalone product in a few years time. It's not like they are going to lose droves of customers, it's the barely profitable companies that really care about small fixed cost increases.

Thanked by 1Spencer

rds100 said: tweaking the UI should be the last concern

UI is done by the UI guys. This is a dedicated team for that purpose and won't reflect on other forms of development.

Microlinux said: It will likely be a long time until you see any significant portion of it come to fruition

Hopefully we will surpirse you on this, but if features do take time it's because we want to get them implemented correctly first time. Our main aim is the new backend stucture and segregation of the logics.

Microlinux said: They'll probably deny this, but it was almost surely a customer acquisition. It makes more sense they would eventually phase out SolusVM and convert users to their existing product.

Yes we deny this. We see no point in losing our stance in the lowend market, but want to support the lowend market with a product that's fit for the higher ends markets.

All in all our plans are to progress with SolusVM and this means at a rapid rate when we see the new API's as stable.

Our aims are:

• Stability (Self healing etc..)
    • Reliability (Always works)
    • Usability (A unique experience for clients etc..)
    • APIability (Can be administered in the way you need) < Very important

It's a simple as that really. We would not be investing on building a set of ridiculously interactive API's if we had no interest in progressing with SolusVM.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • SolusVM said: Reliability (Always works)

That's the funniest thing I've seen all week given Solus's track record (have you forgotten how many hosts around here have had to pull down their installs due to Solus 0days?)

How about adding security to that list? Or is it the truth that OnApp don't give any more of a crap than SolusLabs did pre-acquisition as long as people keep coughing up for licenses?

lbft said: SolusVM said: Reliability (Always works)

That's the funniest thing I've seen all week given Solus's track record (have you forgotten how many hosts around here have had to pull down their installs due to Solus 0days?)

What does this have to do with our aim (a purpose or intention; a desired outcome)?

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • @SolusVM said:

We are awaiting an update within the next few months. Since the take over there has been no updates what so ever.

Please let us know an eta on updating your system? I've been thinking about pulling solusvm for a while now.

lbft said: How about adding security to that list? Or is it the truth that OnApp don't give any more of a crap than SolusLabs did pre-acquisition as long as people keep coughing up for licenses?

Ofcourse we care, it goes without saying. We would'nt be investing in the logic seperation if we did'nt.

Thanked by 1Licensecart

MSPNick said: We are awaiting an update within the next few months. Since the take over there has been no updates what so ever.

Again these things take time. the 1.x branch will be updated shortly and the locked public 2.x branch at some point in February.

What would you rather have - half baked releases or something worth talking about?

Like we said before, we want to deliver something that works for everyone.

• LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited January 2015

I'm still not sure why people keep slating SolusVM and OnApp...

SolusVM -> Best product on the market, very host uses it, it's now owned by one of the best companies in the industry OnApp, who are known for their great product, and I bet some of that awesomeness is coming to SolusVM, the design for starters was on a blog post:

If that doesn't look better then I'm not sure what people want.

• The new design is hot.

• @SolusVM said:
    Like we said before, we want to deliver something that works for everyone.

I love your response and eagerly awaiting! :-)

• @Licensecart said:
    I'm still not sure why people keep slating SolusVM and OnApp...

SolusVM -> Best product on the market, very host uses it, it's now owned by one of the best companies in the industry OnApp, who are known for their great product, and I bet some of that awesomeness is coming to SolusVM, the design for starters was on a blog post:

If that doesn't look better then I'm not sure what people want.

Did you ever use OnApp? I still remember MASSIVE issues with SANs that almost caused vps.net to go bankrupt and many others reported similar issues.

• William said: Did you ever use OnApp? I still remember MASSIVE issues with SANs that almost caused vps.net to go bankrupt and many others reported similar issues.

Which issue with SANs are you referring to?

• http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=948778

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1045299

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1085056

Thats just what i found within 1 minute googling - There is also a 10+ pages thread about issues with vps.net on WHT.

• Oh yeah... I actually remember these now. At some point VPS.net sure did have massive disk fails and lots of data was lost. It was quite sad.

We personally tried out OnApp in the past with Nexenta SAN Storage and the I/O was horrible.

• DalekOfSkaro said: We personally tried out OnApp in the past with Nexenta SAN Storage and the I/O was horrible.

Then your SAN was slow. Onapp only mounts the share if you do not use their inbuilt SAN. So, it is not onapps fault if you use an external SAN.

• fileMEDIA said: Then your SAN was slow. Onapp only mounts the share if you do not use their inbuilt SAN. So, it is not onapps fault if you use an external SAN.

Yes, I admit it was partially our fault. However, this is all changed now :)