Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to migrate cPanel from Hostgator
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to migrate cPanel from Hostgator

Hi guys,

I've got about 10 domains that are hosted on a cPanel server over at Hostgator.

I bought a BuyVM shared hosting plan with the aims of moving to that, but I'm struggling to move the data over as they don't allow the user to control the cPanel restore. You need to log a ticket, which i've done previously with no luck... (I know I know, you get what you pay for).

So i'm writing that off as a bad purchase and i'll look at hosting myself, either with our without an open source panel (thinking Vesta CP or Centos Web Panel).

What's the easiest way to migrate my data (email / mysql / wordpress / DNS)?

Any good guides I can look at for hosting without a panel?
Any good guides I can look at for migrating from cPanel to an open source equivalent?

I've got an online.net kidechaire that I would most likely move to.

Thanks,

Comments

• There is a option into whm for migration.

• PrestigePrestige Member
    edited January 2015

@Francisco could help you with the migration.

If you're going to use that online.net kidechire, I recommend VestaCP as it's easy to use and simple.

You have to manually migrate all the data as VestaCP don't support automatic migration from cPanel accounts.

Data: Compress all the files in public_html and wget the zip file from /home/[username]/web/[domain]/public_html/. After that, you can use unzip to extract.

Database: Manually export/import from phpMyAdmin.

Mail: Compress all the files in the mail folder (/home/[username]/mail/[domain]/), and wget the zip file from:
    /home/[username]/mail/[domain]/ and use unzip to extract. You can also use ImapSync instead.

If the site isn't accessible, just download/upload using FTP instead of wget.

• maybe @Francisco can help you

• SadySady Member
    edited January 2015

@Francisco
    As far as i know they should not have any issue in restoring a backup.

• When I bought @Francisco's cPanel reseller a few months ago, he restored multiple cPanel backups from me. Around 8 of them, for free.

Their hosting is great, you wont have any issues with them.

100% uptime aside from some 4 minute down times in the middle of the night (which happen rarely and are most likely updates/maintenance/reboots).

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited January 2015

@Stacy - I can't say i've noted any downtime (i've been monitoring via UpTime Robot) BUT when I asked for support to restore a backup, they said they would and never did. They also don't allow a user to restore their own backup and claim you need to log a ticket. The problem is they never act on the ticket request.

So I started looking for alternatives and wrote it off as a bad investment. If Francisco can change that perception then i'd be more than happy to re-evaluate them.

• StacyStacy Member
    edited January 2015

@jeromeza said:
    Stacy - I can't say i've noted any downtime (i've been monitoring via UpTime Robot) BUT when I asked for support to restore a backup, they said they would and never did. They also don't allow a user to restore their own backup and claim you need to log a ticket. The problem is they never act on the ticket request.

So I started looking for alternatives and wrote it off as a bad investment. If Francisco can change that perception then i'd be more than happy to re-evaluate them.

I recommend you contact Franscisco.

Heres proof they offer it. A webhost that does not offer to restore client backups isn't really good for business.

If you want people to move to your company, you have to help them make the transition as easy as possible.

Maybe the staff you are talking to is not trained properly?

• @jeromeza said:
    Stacy - I can't say i've noted any downtime (i've been monitoring via UpTime Robot)

There have been a few downtimes in december, looks like mostly maintenance .

Here

Overall I'd recommend their hosting 10/10.

• No issue here either, using a cPanel reseller in LU.

Migration was fine (from their LV shared) but it did not restore my SSL certs (cPanel issue i guess), Uptime should be ok, not much monitoring that.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Got a ticket ID for me?

We do restores every day of the week so this sounds like it's a simple case of us dropping the ball and not handing off the work properly, or the ticket getting assigned incorrectly - Either way, our screw up, sorry!

cPanel doesn't allow non-root users to restore cpmove files since it's a huge security risk. cPanel has documented it a few times saying that the whole cpmove system is insecure by design due to the files it has to deal with.

You can do backup/restores from within the cPanel account, but that only does home dir and SQL, it still needs you to handle a bunch of other annoying things.

Either way, mea culpa! If you're willing to give us a whirl we'll get you fixed up and kick you a free month since you weren't able to use the service properly for about that amount of time.

Francisco

• @Francisco thanks - greatly appreciated. I really like your stance on customer service.

I'll be in touch on Thursday or Friday when I have time to dedicate to this.

Thanks again for the speedy reply and taking ownership of the situation.

• LeeLee Veteran

Stick with BuyVM, I got one of their LA resellers right at the start, it was not the best experience initially but perhaps it was teething issues.

I signed up to Luxembourg recently and to be honest straight from the get go it has been great.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@W1V_Lee said:
    Stick with BuyVM, I got one of their LA resellers right at the start, it was not the best experience initially but perhaps it was teething issues.

I signed up to Luxembourg recently and to be honest straight from the get go it has been great.

Yep, prior to last year, it had been a good 3 years since we last did shared so it was mostly getting a feel for what's up and what users are wanting. LV-Shared01 still needs a chassis swap (I'll be personally doing that soon), but the rest of the nodes are built more to my style. Still need the backup drives installed, though!

@jeromeza said:
    Francisco thanks - greatly appreciated. I really like your stance on customer service.

I'll be in touch on Thursday or Friday when I have time to dedicate to this.

Thanks again for the speedy reply and taking ownership of the situation.

Thanks, keep me posted and we'll get you squared away.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Lee