Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free SSL certificates starting mid 2015
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free SSL certificates starting mid 2015

smansman Member
edited January 2015 in General

This is being sponsored by Mozilla, Akamai, Cisco, Electronic Frontier Foundation, and IdenTrust.

They are also greatly simplify the install procedure.

https://letsencrypt.org

Thanked by 2jmginer myvpsreviews

Comments

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Very interesting...

• Will have to wait and see.

• The guys on the metzdowd cryptography list were debating about whether if their cryptographic security on the back end was strong enough.

• I can't wait to see this... It's long overdue :)

• Oh yeah. I have been idling in #letsencrypt for a while.. Jdkasten has been working really hard on a client development.. Initially it will only work with ubuntu and apache.

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited January 2015

Bookmarked, going to check this weekly to see if anything's updated, although it says Q2 2015

• Wonder where the certs are coming from - None of this companies has a Root Cert in all modern browsers.

Thanked by 1jar
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2015

William said: Wonder where the certs are coming from - None of this companies has a Root Cert in all modern browsers.

IdenTrust will be cross-signing our roots while we apply to root programs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

In principle, free certs for all is a good idea but the problems with this project are numerous. Rather than retype:

https://raindog308.com/the-problems-with-the-lets-encrypt-project/

• smansman Member
    edited January 2015

was commenting on above until I realized they are backlink trolling their tinfoil hat nonsense. Please delete this post.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

vijai said: Jdkasten has been working really hard on a client development.. Initially it will only work with ubuntu and apache.

I would agree they are focusing on absolutely the wrong thing. Looks like I will need to construct a f-cking chroot around his wonderful client, giving it ubuntu, apache, or whatever other stupid shit it requires -- all that simply to fetch the PEM file from there for use with my real setup with Lighttpd and Debian (and no, I am not letting some "script" to touch my highly custom server configurations, just give me a PEM file, I will install it myself...).

• Hasn't this been posted before?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@rm_ well, the protocol is open, so it shouldn't be difficult to write a client that doesn't interact with web server automatically.