Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SEO] Register and redirect expired domains, good or bad idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[SEO] Register and redirect expired domains, good or bad idea?

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Hello, I'm looking for some experience about registering expired domains and redirecting them towards your website? There penalty from Google?

Comments

• Yes you will be penalised. But there is a trick to get the link juice to the money site.

• Depends on the history of the domain that is redirecting to your main site. For example, if domain A has thousands of spammy links pointing to it, when you do a 301 redirect, all the links will be forwarded to your main site.

Be careful!

• @PremiumN said: Depends on the history of the domain that is redirecting to your main site...

What history? If it's registered anew after the domain expired and dropped, there's no history.

• @BuyAds said:
    Yes you will be penalised. But there is a trick to get the link juice to the money site.

There's no penalty for it. They removed all the bad backlink penalties some time a go.

on topic:
    You can PM me for 'the trick'.

• @aglodek said:

Most of the links will become nofollow for some reason, not all of them. If you take over the site there will still be links pointing towards it.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited January 2015

@jmginer, it works and I've seen various proofs of it working for high value terms. Obviously it runs the risk of getting your rankings slapped due to manual review, but as with everything, it's good in moderation and depends on your aims.

My colleague and I are actually in the process of launching a system that has a DB of 150 million+ domains , and looks for good expired ones based on various metrics. It's searchable by various metrics, anchor texts and domain name (text searches use a large trigram index so everything is searchable).

If it's something of use to me send me a PM. It'll be live in a week or two.

• @aglodek said:

Of course there is.

• edited January 2015

Here's a great video from Matt Cutts on what happens to your pagerank when using a 301 redirect. It's a little old, but coincides with what several other people have said above, as well as going into it a bit deeper. Hope this clears this up for you.

@PremiumN said:
    Depends on the history of the domain that is redirecting to your main site. For example, if domain A has thousands of spammy links pointing to it, when you do a 301 redirect, all the links will be forwarded to your main site.

Be careful!