Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Splitting a dedicated server..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Splitting a dedicated server..

Hello there,

Long time no see :)

I'll get straight to my question. Is it worth it grabbing a dedicated server and splitting it into 2 VPS for optimization or is it just silly? I was thinking of separating the WordPress websites from the rest DB driven websites. Or just scrap that and use the dedicated as it is by creating multiple cPanel accounts (1 per website)?

The idea of the VPS was that it would be easier to optimize just the WP websites and not affect the rest of the sites. (using nginx + php-fpm, mariadb, opcache, varnish etc)

Thank you!

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited January 2015

If you are running wordpress splitting it into openvz containers or using cPanel/CloudLinux might provide a little more security with wordpress being wordpress...

• @linuxthefish said:
    If you are running wordpress splitting it into openvz containers or using cPanel/CloudLinux might provide a little more security with wordpress being wordpress...

I'm running around 10 WP sites atm (each on it's own cPanel account) but I was thinking maybe now (that I'm getting a dedicated) it would be better to place them on their own little space.

• splitting up aka using any virtualization gives some advantages I'd say. not only the possibilities around optimising setups individually regarding the hosted websites...
    with containers or kvm you get easy access to backup things, or move/migrate them with an ease if neccessary...

so +1 for split up dedi ;-)