Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another pretty decent dedi server deal? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another pretty decent dedi server deal?

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

@Wintereise: use the image html tag

< img src="" >

The forum's image tag is broken.

Also, back on subject, dedicated servers are the new virtual private servers :P (that made no sense whatsoever)

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited August 2012

@zhuanyi said: Dacentec? Anyone used them before?

i use their previous offer, for me and my partner. :) right now i'm installing openvz with centos 6 + vswap enabled.

some screenshot from hammering competition ( @ErawanArifNugroho know this)

disk i/o not really good. maybe it's because i got the hitachi one. just let me know if you need more detail about them :D

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@Wintereise

FDC doesn't allow people who buy a rack to add a UPS or any custom configurations to a network within the rack? Source? ;)

Everyone has a complaint about everything, if I listened to everyone I wouldn't have a business.

• @Mon5t3r said: some screenshot from hammering competition ( @ErawanArifNugroho know this)

Hehe... I/m taking part in this, but only able to generate load about 600.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @Mon5t3r said: disk i/o not really good. maybe it's because i got the hitachi one.

Any idea what model of Hitachi drives?

• @Damian sure..

# hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Model
        Model Number:       HITACHI HDS725050KLA360 
  • ReeRee Member

@jarland I got that email too. Wish I had $145/mo laying around :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822147007

Desktop SATA 3.0 with small cache... on the other hand, there are no reviews of sudden drive failure, like with Seagates and WDs...

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Ree said: @jarland I got that email too. Wish I had $145/mo laying around :)

I never got an email ;( ..

Anyway, I have exchanged a couple of emails and around 3-4 chats with William @ dacentec.. They seem pretty decent and reasonable.. and I heard that the support is really helpfull and nice, which is a good thing, especially for unmanaged budget provider.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited August 2012

@Damian said: Desktop SATA 3.0 with small cache... on the other hand, there are no reviews of sudden drive failure, like with Seagates and WDs...

yep.. sw raid10 only took around 100-110MB/s in plain partition (/vz). when i create KVM/Xen in LVM partition the dd test dropped to 10-20MB/s LOL

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Anyway, I have exchanged a couple of emails and around 3-4 chats with William @ dacentec.. They seem pretty decent and reasonable.. and I heard that the support is really helpfull and nice, which is a good thing, especially for unmanaged budget provider.

I'm based out of there and another datacenter :P

I heart them.

• Rent to own at the price I rent?

HOTHOTHOT.

• TazTaz Member

Wait how can you order? https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/ ????? Nothing there!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If their DC is so advanced why do they only show computer generated pictures of it?

@KuJoe said: If their DC is so advanced why do they only show computer generated pictures of it?

Yeah this was also my concern.. I looked at it though google earth.. Seems like there is indeed smth there..

• earlearl Member

@jarland

For what's it's worth I just bought a couple of HP DL140 G3

2x Quad Core Xeon E5310
    4 GB ram
    500 Gb HDD with Hot Swap
    SAS1068 Controller
    HP Lights-Out 100i
    Two GbE LAN port

$125 each!!

@earl Dang, at that price how can you refuse?

Thanked by 1earl
  • @earl said: For what's it's worth I just bought a couple of HP DL140 G3

The RAM is a bit too small for the otherwise pretty good configuration?

DDR2 is quite cheap. He can upgrade to 16 gigs for 50-60$ probably if he gets a good deal.

• earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@zhuanyi said: The RAM is a bit too small

Yeah it's kinda low but considering my Dedi @ Datashack is only 4gb I figure it was acceptable..

@Alex_LiquidHost
    it uses Fully buffered Ecc ram which is kinda expensive.. Tried a regular ddr2 ram and it wont fit in the slot

edited August 2012

@earl said: it uses Fully buffered Ecc ram which is kinda expensive.. Tried a regular ddr2 ram and it wont fit in the slot

That's a pitty...

Anyway, I got myself one:
    proliant
    2x dual core opteron 270 2.0ghz
    8gb ram
    with 500GB HDD
    100$

Waiting for it to get delivered to home.. And will look for a place at Bulgaria to Colo it.. Will host my client's area from there.

• earlearl Member

@Alex_LiquidHost

Can't go wrong at that price.. what model did you get?

@earl said: Can't go wrong at that price.. what model did you get?

Honestly, no idea. I am waiting for it to get delivered.. It was pulled from working enviroment, though. Just know the cpu model, the RAM amount and HDD size... Nothing more :D ... But hey, it is a 100$ :P

• If your still looking for some good server deals, I made some suggestions in another one of the 18 similar topics that's open:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/101630#Comment_101630

• earlearl Member

@Alex_LiquidHost said: But hey, it is a 100$ :P

no doubt.. really decent specs for $100!!

Actually I was pricing some Dell's online and you can get a new Dell PE R210 II for $459 if you skip the 500GB HDD, I think it's a good deal..

• @jarland said: HP DL160 G6

Dual Quad Core Xeon L5520 CPU
    16GB RAM
    2 x 2TB SATA3 HDD
    HP B110 RAID Controller
    1Gbps Unmetered Bandwidth
    UPS Backup
    Redundant Network
    $145/month.

I'd be jealous if it wasn't FDCServers. I say this as an FDCServers customer who is getting the hell away from them. Network is garbage, if you're able to push even a tenth of a gbit you're doing better than I did.

@Satellite said: I'd be jealous if it wasn't FDCServers. I say this as an FDCServers customer who is getting the hell away from them. Network is garbage, if you're able to push even a tenth of a gbit you're doing better than I did.

Even for 100mbps dedicated (1/10 of gig), it is still a good deal. They probably place a couple of clients on 1gbps port and it is on ""best effort"-cases. It is no where stated it is guaranteed.

edited August 2012

@Satellite Admittedly I've not been an FDC customer long, but I've been a customer of FDC providers for about a year now with no issues. Admittedly, Chicago is WAY better than Denver. But it seems as though some providers have gotten racks there and actually worked around many of FDC's shortcomings. The one I'm with is one that I would say has done that. I won't say the name, but it's not a big secret. It's the little things that can make all the difference. Proper setup for remote administration in the event of anything other than a hardware failure, a little extra control over the networking for your rack, etc.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Even for 100mbps dedicated (1/10 of gig), it is still a good deal. They probably place a couple of clients on 1gbps port and it is on ""best effort"-cases. It is no where stated it is guaranteed.

The outbound speeds I got were closer to the 10mbit range :)

edited August 2012

@Satellite said: The outbound speeds I got were closer to the 10mbit range :)

Ouch. I've been in this same rack that I got this dedi in with a high end VPS, pushing 100mbit (container limit) and never had issues. It's weird to me how one end of the building can act so much better than the other, I'll say that. Well, not weird as in unexplainable, just in terms of "Why would they let this happen?"