Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hong Kong VPS Recommendation - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hong Kong VPS Recommendation

Comments

• @GreenVine said: I do not think HK VPS is expensive, I just use $31 to get 2GB RAM VPS with high performance.

They're too used to US$7 for 2GB VPS

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • It is meaningless to compare price between US's and HK's due to build datacenter in HK really need much.

• But compare with other HK VPS Providers, EDIS's is cheaper.

• Asia itself has expensive bandwidth.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: Asia itself has expensive bandwidth.

Yep and it just occured to me that there is no reason Asian providers shouldn't try match the western ones at other specs, like RAM and disk space. It's not like RAM or HDDs are more expensive in Asia (on the contrary). So I wouldn't be surprised if we will see a plan with e.g. 2GB RAM, 50GB disk, but only 100-200GB transfer. (And for much cheaper than $30-50 that EDIS and OneAsiaHost charge for "a 2GB VPS").

• @rm_ said: Yep and it just occured to me that there is no reason Asian providers shouldn't try match the western ones at other specs, like RAM and disk space. It's not like RAM or HDDs are more expensive in Asia (on the contrary). So I wouldn't be surprised if we will see a plan with e.g. 2GB RAM, 50GB disk, but only 100-200GB transfer. (And for much cheaper than $30-50 that EDIS and OneAsiaHost charge for "a 2GB VPS").

Yeah I agree with you.
    But for network speed, I must choose Asian providers.

• The reason of us why not to choose mainland China's providers is all sites need to pass the trouble review.

• @rm_ said: So I wouldn't be surprised if we will see a plan with e.g. 2GB RAM, 50GB disk, but only 100-200GB transfer. (And for much cheaper than $30-50 that EDIS and OneAsiaHost charge for "a 2GB VPS").

Very normal to see 1-2mbps dedicated servers from Singapore or around the region. Bandwidth is simply too expensive to the point it's ridiculous to even try to compare with US. But like I said in a previous lengthy post, because residential broadband is at 100mbps and higher in SG/HK, customers expect to see 10-100mbps unmetered connections for peanuts, because that's what they pay for broadband, peanuts.

@GreenVine said: The reason of us why not to choose mainland China's providers is all sites need to pass the trouble review.

I have a customer who gets better latency from Shanghai to Singapore (my network) than Shanghai to Beijing. Not to mention his hosting provider in Shanghai was giving so much problems he gave up and moved his email hosting back to Singapore (this was after moving it to Shanghai in the first place because he had more users there).

• Yes, mainland China's network is only suitable for mainland not global.
    For global use we need HK, SG or JP etc.

• flyfly Member

linode tokyo

• @jcaleb said: whoa, HK is so expensive

Hi! we had to add a EUR 2.50 location based fee on every vps in HK. The reason for that is, that colocation (particularly premium bandwidth) is tremendously more expensive in Hong Kong (or Singapur) than anywhere else on this planet. Some carriers charge US$ 30,-- per MBit/s datatransfer - equals US$ 3.000,-- for 1x 100 MBit/s port and for our services we we need more than one port ;-)

We tried to keep the price as low as possible. The markup barely covers the full costs, but we wanted to offer HK ;-)

Cheers,
    Gerhard @ EDIS

• @Chan said: I find it quite funny myself how that the additional cost sometimes is more expensive then the VPS itself lol (for the cheapest Micro servers)

Anyway I'm currently having a Edis VRS in Hong Kong which is performing exceptionally well, I'm getting 20ms ping from where I live in Hong Kong with my friends who have optic reporting ping of 2-3ms.
    I ran a dd yesterday and got like 3XX/mbs speed, seems rather high lol, I wonder what's the raid configuration for the host node?

Hi Chan!
    We work with enterprise grade SAS drives in local 1+0 RAID setups
    and lots of RAM in the machines to give even better results in production by reducing I/O to a minimum.
    Cheers, Gerhard @ EDIS

• lbftlbft Member
    edited August 2012

@GreenVine said: I do not think HK VPS is expensive, I just use $31 to get 2GB RAM VPS with high performance.

The €2.50 surcharge is more significant on the lower plans. On a 128MB VServer VPS, it's a 172% price difference (and you still have to pay yearly upfront) - but on a 2GB KVM with 2 cores, it's merely an 8% price difference (an incredible deal considering what the pricing is like in the region).

LEB/LET exists to discuss VPSes under US$7/month - so naturally people are going to focus on the plans that fit within that pricing bracket (in this case, only the VServer 128MB, the KVM 128MB and the VServer 256MB) rather than the higher plans.

Even so, if you have a specific need for HK then the low plans are still cheaper than what you're going to find elsewhere (with the possible future exception of OVH) and EDIS is excellent.

• @lbft said: Even so, if you have a specific need for HK then the low plans are still cheaper than what you're going to find elsewhere (with the possible future exception of OVH) and EDIS is excellent.

If OVH has HK datacenter?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@GreenVine said: If OVH has HK datacenter?

Yes. You can try it for free.
    http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/vks/geovks.xml

You can use those two urls to order free vps but have in mind that even if you choose HK they can give you some other random location:

https://www.ovh.com/fr/cgi-bin/nic/newNic.cgi - to register nic handle
    http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/vks/geovks.xml - to order vps

• @Spirit said: Yes. You can try it for free.

http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/vks/geovks.xml

You can use those two urls to order free vps but have in mind that even if you choose HK they can give you some other random location:

https://www.ovh.com/fr/cgi-bin/nic/newNic.cgi - to register nic handle

http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/vks/geovks.xml - to order vps

Hmm...I cannot understand the France of page http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/ks/, could you please let me know how much USD I cost for HK Dedicated Server with 2GB, 16GB and 24GB RAM?

• lbftlbft Member

@GreenVine said: If OVH has HK datacenter?

OVH has 128MB OpenVZ VPSes in some of their POPs around the world where they've installed networking equipment, including HK. AFAIK they have no plans to start selling bigger VPSes or dedis there. They're talking about a possible price of €19.99/year for the 128MB VPSes when they stop being free but nothing's confirmed.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Yeah, but for my budget, it seems that I can get a dedicated server from OVH.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited August 2012

@GreenVine said: West Coast U.S. has a connection with 200ms ping, not very far.

I mean like, why would you need a 100ms ping? If you are on a high budget, go CDN. But if you are not, I would seriously urge you to reconsider that. NTT Japan pipes with China is often congested and may result in large packet loss/performance decrease.

• @klikli said: I mean like, why would you need a 100ms ping? If you are on a high budget, go CDN. But if you are not, I would seriously urge you to reconsider. NTT Japan pipes with China is often congested and may result in large packet loss/performance decrease.

The server ping larger than 100ms will cause the slow website access, I prefect HK Datacenter.

• @GreenVine said: The server ping larger than 100ms will cause the slow website access, I prefect HK Datacenter.

Sometimes the website will load even slower, sadly, due to congested pipes.

• @klikli said: Sometimes the website will load even slower, sadly, due to congested pipes.

Yes but just sometimes such as evening of China time, my VPS shared a 100Mbps network but it still could have 10Mbps+ download speed.

• Tried pinging edis HK from Malaysia and sg server, the ping is around 40ms from/to south east Asia. Not bad

• @cosmicgate said: Tried pinging edis HK from Malaysia and sg server, the ping is around 40ms from/to south east Asia. Not bad

HK is network is always good.
    Ping from mainland China:
    HK: 40-50ms
    SG: 70-80ms
    JP: Around 90ms

• Yes, what I meant is it's expensive compared to US. But it's good deal if location really is very important

• @jcaleb said: Yes, what I meant is it's expensive compared to US. But it's good deal if location really is very important

Yeah, $31 for US price is really high but it is cheap for HK price.

• Congrats @GreenVine for finding a home VPS to your purpose

• @jcaleb said: Congrats @GreenVine for finding a home VPS to your purpose

Thanks. It go beyond my ideal configuration but the cost is less than my budget:)

• fanfan Veteran

You can use those two urls to order free vps but have in mind that even if you choose HK

OVH's HK location routes through Tokyo in mainland China, the latency is typically over 300ms.

@GreenVine said: Yep and it just occured to me that there is no reason Asian providers shouldn't try match the western ones at other specs, like RAM and disk space. It's not like RAM or HDDs are more expensive in Asia (on the contrary). So I wouldn't be surprised if we will see a plan with e.g. 2GB RAM, 50GB disk, but only 100-200GB transfer. (And for much cheaper than $30-50 that EDIS and OneAsiaHost charge for "a 2GB VPS").

If you take a look at some local providers (sakura, gmocloud, aliyun, etc.) in China and Japan, the resource allocation is quite generous for the price, but due to the ridiculous price of bandwidth and limitation of IP addresses compared to US and EU, most VPS deals start at 512mb or larger, some have capped BW allocation.

• @fan said: If you take a look at some local providers (sakura, gmocloud, aliyun, etc.) in China and Japan, the resource allocation is quite generous for the price, but due to the ridiculous price of bandwidth and limitation of IP addresses compared to US and EU, most VPS deals start at 512mb or larger, some have capped BW allocation.

Yeah in mainland China AliCloud(Aliyun) is the best but I am afraid that my clients do not want to get a ICP license from CNNIC.