Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudways competitor that allows downwards scaling
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudways competitor that allows downwards scaling

I'm building a WordPress site which will be featured on TV soon. I don't want to build out a server and secure/optimise/troubleshoot it, so I like the Cloudways approach and use them already for some things. I had intended to massively upscale the server for a day or so around the TV appearance, and then ramp it down again, but Cloudways don't allow you to scale down.

Can anyone recommend a competitor who does allow this, or another way to get temporary high traffic capabilities?

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited January 2015

Gah ignore me... resizing disks is a pain for most.

Try AWS not DO for deployment?

• Problem is resizing the HDD - Not many do that for many reasons.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

William said: Problem is resizing the HDD - Not many do that for many reasons.

I doubt he will require a lot of HDD when the blog is viewed on TV. HDD should be pretty much the same. Any serious provider will help you upgrade other resources, and downgrade them as well.

• I've done it on rackspace - and it worked fine. Just checked my DO account (cloudways use their infrastructure) and they only allow upwards scaling.

I won't need much HDD at all. Still hoping for some recommendations.

• Hi squibs,

There is no limitation on upscaling and downscaling on Cloudways platform. The only limitation is in DO, where you can downscale using Server Cloning feature and then point your domain to that server.

But for your setup I recommend you to use AWS where you can easily scale up and down whenever you expect a spike in the traffic.

And in case of traffic spikes you need three main things, that is server processing power (the cores), amount of RAM, and bandwidth.

Let me know if you want to know anything else? :)

Thanked by 1squibs
  • said: Can anyone recommend a competitor who does allow this, or another way to get temporary high traffic capabilities?

Check out @dediserve -- You can up/down the size of your VMs including the drives. However, keep in mind that resizing the drive will require down time.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

DalekOfSkaro said: However, keep in mind that resizing the drive will require down time.

it may also break, depending on your partitioning, encryption and data fill. Downsizing the drive is NOT recommended, we tell people to add virtual disks which can be removed easily when no longer needed.
    That being said, upgrading and downgrading an instance is fast and easy in our cloud, but it does require downtime (shutdown, restart, a minute or two).

• @AhsanParwez said:
    There is no limitation on upscaling and downscaling on Cloudways platform. The only limitation is in DO, where you can downscale using Server Cloning feature and then point your domain to that server.

But for your setup I recommend you to use AWS where you can easily scale up and down whenever you expect a spike in the traffic.

And in case of traffic spikes you need three main things, that is server processing power (the cores), amount of RAM, and bandwidth.

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that the Amazon tier starts at $45/mo (and needs beefing up to be usable 2Gb HDD for example) whereas DO starts at $5/mo and has enough disk out of the box. Realistically, the $5 DO tier will meet the needs of this website in everyday use.

Are you saying that I can use the Cloudways clone feature to clone a large instance to a smaller instance?

• Scaling up -and- down is kinda a 'core' premise of cloud (rather than most of the VPS offerings 'pretending' to be elastic clouds).

Scaling disk will always need a reboot, and scaling a disk down needs to be done carefully (as scaling too close to actual usage can kill the disk).

Otherwise you should be able to scale up, down, out and back without issue on any real cloud.

• dediserve said: Otherwise you should be able to scale up, down, out and back without issue on any real cloud.

Yep :-) I thought I'd recommend you guys since your prices are lower than ours :P

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • squibs said: Are you saying that I can use the Cloudways clone feature to clone a large instance to a smaller instance?

Yes you can clone a large DO server to a smaller DO server anytime and then point nameservers to new server. After cloning and pointing is complete you can shut off the previous server.

• If I can do that with Cloudways, I'm happy to stick with you guys for this project as I've been very happy with the product and service so far. I think I'll do a dry run first.

Thanked by 1AhsanParwez
  • SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited January 2015

Wable allows scaling up and down without reboot. Am i allowed to post this here?

• Thanks - but Wable doesn't provide a managed WordPress/server stack. As per my first post that's why I like Cloudways offering - otherwise I would just use DO directly.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • You can down scale down with Digital Ocean. The limitation is you can never scale below the initial droplet size due to the hard drive size staying the same. I used to have a game server on DO on $5 instance that I'd scale up on weekends and then scale back down.

However I am seeing a lot of "There are currently no sizes available for Fast-Resize." right now on droplets. So DO may not be the most reliable option to resize.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

squibs said: Thanks - but Wable doesn't provide a managed WordPress/server stack.

Ii think you should not expect many people to have that. Some shared hosting people do, we used to have it, but there are too many problems for a very low price.

• @squibs said:
    If I can do that with Cloudways, I'm happy to stick with you guys for this project as I've been very happy with the product and service so far. I think I'll do a dry run first.

Good to hear that, I am sure we already have the answers to all your questions, just feel free to ask me or tech support available 24/7 :)

Cloudways platform allows you to do tasks that might seem complex to perform directly on DO or AWS if you have no experience managing the servers.

• @Maounique said:
    Ii think you should not expect many people to have that. Some shared hosting people do, we used to have it, but there are too many problems for a very low price.

Yes - the $5/mo DO cloudways offer in particular does seem like a loss leader, but I'm guessing there's good profit in the higher tiers and in the AWS offering. The thing is, there's always someone looking for a niche. I see more players in this area soon.

• Check out glesys.com. Expensive but you can upgrade/downgrade any resource whenever you want (and dynamicly). I have been a customer for several years, I left them only because of the price, but the service was good.