Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server?

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server?

NickMNickM Member
edited August 2012 in General

I think mine would have to be what happened to me today. I accidentally deleted /etc and didn't have a recent backup of it. Fortunately, I did have a backup of my nginx config and a very old backup from a previous install.

Thankfully I've never done rm -rf / except intentionally on a machine I was just messing around with. Mistakes happen to the best of us, so what's the biggest mistake YOU've made?

Comments

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited August 2012
    mv /* /some/public_html/

instead

mv ../* /some/public_html/
    Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
  • @Mon5t3r said: mv /* /some/public_html/ instead

mv ../* /some/public_html/

Thanked by 2jhadley klikli
  • SSH, backup and reinstall the OS, then realize that I SSH and backup wrong server :(

SellSSL.com - Get your EV SSL with green bar and your company in it for $89 USD first year!

Thanked by 2sijie123 HWAYS
  • Reinstalled the wrong server.

The Original Daniel.

Thanked by 1Scottsman
  • mikhomikho Moderator

Started to buy vps.

http://www.lowendguide.com/ - the guides to administer your lowend vps | Hosted Piwik from $3/year
    FreecPanelSharedHosting Locations: Miami (US) | Rotterdam (NL)
  • rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

Check my blog for more cool *nix tips & tricks!

• rm -rf /

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

delete files and configuration.... only to realize I forgot to ssh and I'm still in my desktop.

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• @djvdorp said: rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

How is that a mistake when you wanted to do it? (--no-preserve-root)

The Original Daniel.

• flyfly Member

@MrLawoodle said: How is that a mistake when you wanted to do it? (--no-preserve-root)

cuz he's trying to be funny

Thanked by 2orak Licensecart
  • I am using mc for all the tasks around. Guess is a reminiscence of the old norton commander (oh tempora, when norton was actually making useful things). Thus, it happened quite frequently to delete in the wrong panel. At least once a year i do things like these that end up being costly. Fortunately, as any paranoid person, I keep backups of the back-ups on virtual machines of which i take snapshots every hour... M

Apology for Terror: New free speech offense, used to silence people criticizing the governments for failing to address the real issues driving the radicalization (religious (christian-islamic), political (left-right), etc)

• @inverse said: :(){ :|:& };:

prepare your boat.. flood is coming!!!

Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
  • :(){ :|:& };: nobody sets their ulimits?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    https://raymii.org - https://cipherli.st
  • jhadleyjhadley Member
    edited August 2012

rpm -e rpm

• yum remove bash :(

Junior Pen Tester

• Moderator on a forum I own decided to prune old threads, unfortunately he pruned everything that hadn't had a reply in 7 days (i.e. about 80% of 1 Million posts). Stupidly our backups hadn't been working so we lost everything.

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
    Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • @serverbear said: Moderator on a forum I own decided to prune old threads, unfortunately he pruned everything that hadn't had a reply in 7 days (i.e. about 80% of 1 Million posts). Stupidly our backups hadn't been working so we lost everything.

Ouch, dang.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
  • Howcome so many people ever tried rm -rf /?

• @Presbytis said: Howcome so many people ever tried rm -rf /?

Curiosity if Linux would prevent us from actually doing it and to see if it was possible while running the OS :P

Check my blog for more cool *nix tips & tricks!

• @inverse said: :(){ :|:& };:

assdkasdlas you crashed my node. You owe me $10,000 in reparations.

just kidding.

• @Presbytis said: Howcome so many people ever tried rm -rf /?

I forgot it, and suddenly pressing Enter lol

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • I typed "poweroff" and shutdown a node instead of the VPS i wanted to shutdown.

• LOL @rds100

Junior Pen Tester

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited August 2012

Tried to repartition a KVM instance and completely fubar'd the whole thing. Ended up having to reload it. No data lost – I'd had the sense to make a backup directly before the attempt – but it was a waste of two or three hours.

• RandyRandy Disabled

screwing up the server and to do a clean re-install

• @rds100 said: I typed "poweroff" and shutdown a node instead of the VPS i wanted to shutdown.

Welcome to the club... It was a time I had multiple machines named debian and didnt notice when I was in which terminal window... Happened so frequently to shutdown the server when I was going home, that I decided never to name a machine debian again and also to quit the habit of shutting down from terminal. M

Apology for Terror: New free speech offense, used to silence people criticizing the governments for failing to address the real issues driving the radicalization (religious (christian-islamic), political (left-right), etc)

Thanked by 2azizmb GoodHosting
  • @giang said: SSH, backup and reinstall the OS, then realize that I SSH and backup wrong server :(

This.

• Accidentally rebooted the wrong VPS.

This signature is brought to you by the NSA. Spying on the entire world since 1952!

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2012

change ssh port without realizing iptables is set to block every port except 22, 80 and 443, on a dedicated server without ipmi.

Second biggest: install ubuntu on a server

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • TazTaz Disabled

Couple of weeks ago, I was setting up couple of new nodes. After setting everything up, I have realized that I got right OS on the wrong server and the right server got wrong reload. From that day, Only 1 kvm session per monitor.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @dmmcintyre3 said: change ssh port

I never understood that move... I mean, random bots trying random passwords will never break a real pass. If they are on you, changing ssh port wouldnt matter, they will find it, unless you allow only certain hosts, and if you do that, why would you change the port in the first place, etc. IMO, that move is not necessary, at least it does more harm than good. M

• @maounique it allows you to detect port scans and block it, instead of letting them get past the first, easy hurdle.

Junior Pen Tester

• If we are to got hat far... Key only and it is solved. Or block all except your ip. Preferably the IP of some VPS you have. It is enough I have to remember 100 passes, remembering ports too would be too much... But I guess to each his own :) M

• TazTaz Disabled

@Maounique who needs to memorize when you have Excel?

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• Believe me, I have 10+ tabs in each browser, 3 browsers open, 10 terminals, I certainly dont need another browser tab :) Not to mention when I am away with my crappy laptop. M

• Confusing my local shell with my remote shell, and accidentally wiping /var/www on a production server instead of my local development stack.

I was really happy that I'm paranoid about backups, at that moment.

Currently offering Node.js code review, tutoring and advice! http://cryto.net/~joepie91/code-review.html
    Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited August 2012

@rds100 said: I typed "poweroff" and shutdown a node instead of the VPS i wanted to shutdown.

@TheHackBox said: Accidentally rebooted the wrong VPS.

Sounds like you guys need a molly-guard. sudo apt-get install molly-guard should just about do it it, I think.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Maounique think you got it rough? http://gyazo.com/2b79bd623629f24de3d4a585499826cf My whole system is begging for mercy.

• The worst thing I did was chown www-data:www-data in /var instead of /var/www

For some reason nothing worked correctly after that

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • years ago

UPDATE tbl_userfunctions SET myfunction ="function(){......code ... code .. code}"

without WHERE id_function -

auto commit and good night

Im out

• Solus reinstall on wrong server (not the test one, but one in use) was nice. No fuckups unless a beer/glass red wine or 5 tho..

• Shutdown a production server instead of the local dev system. Worse, it was an AWS instance with local storage only, so once it shutdown, EC2 deleted the hard disk. Fortunately, databases were on a different instance, but a couple of very stressful hours to get all the apps and config re-installed!

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
  • @kiwidave said: Worse, it was an AWS instance with local storage only, so once it shutdown, EC2 deleted the hard disk

Oops :o M

• do this dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=64k count=100k on my production system. Lost the vz partition

Do you know Lake Toba?

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Many years ago I made the mistake of getting 2 SSH connections open and RM'd the wrong /home/xxx directory.

along with no backups!

Certainly have learnt from that mistake, atleast it was my own box :)

www.NodeGurus.com - Professional Netherlands VPS & Dedicated Servers upto 10Gbps!

• Installing fedora on it.

Never again.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
    Thanked by 3Nick Silvenga fisle