Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server?

Comments

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Did last | reboot, instead of last reboot on a production server.

• noosVPSnoosVPS Member
    edited August 2014

This is perhaps the most embarrassing on helpdesk..

Thanked by 1orak
  • Not me, but someone supposedly re-ran my install script, wiping about 600 users data.

• MuZoMuZo Member

1) When upgrading debian and grub I didn't selected any of the raid disks and rebooted.

2) Trying to setup IPv6 I stopped the network interface locking myself out without any IPMI/KVM.

Luckily both servers were not for production.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited August 2014

Needed libstdc++.so.5 on Squeeze and Wheezy. Typed:

aptitude install libstdc++5

Should work, right? After that, every command typed into the OS caused Segfaults. Had to recreate the instance and do it this way.

• MrAndroid said: Reinstalled the wrong server.

THIS

• After 25+ years of managing servers, I've done almost all of these... And don't forget the occasional fdisking of the wrong drive.

My favorite however was when I worked for a computer chip design company back in the early 90's and they had compute jobs that ran for days. All the computers were on UPSs to protect against power flickers.

One guy, we'll call him "George" had a critical job running for >40 hours. And of course, we lost power. So I'm frantically trying to keep his workstation alive since if it dropped, his job dropped.

He's freaking out.

I'm running around the office pulling UPSs off any computer I can. I set one down in his office and am getting ready to nest the UPSs.

Did I mention how he's freaking out?

He, trying to help, unplugged his computer from his UPS and then plugged it into the 'new' UPS. My jaw dropped.

Oops.

On the plus side, he gave me $20 to not tell anyone. :D

Thanked by 3geekalot Noerman lazyt
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Probably shutdown -h now on the wrong node.

• Erasing the / portition but I recovered in 1 hour with idera bare metal restore :)

• MunMun Member

buying a service from a company that doesn't care about their users or nodes. I have spent SO much time patching and putting in tickets because they couldn't manage their nodes.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2014

nothing too bad on a production server.

worst is probably apt-get remove --purge lighttpd while I was in the wrong PuTTY window (for a production server), but that only resulted in a couple minutes downtime until I realised what I'd done.

I've done rm -rf / too just to see what happens

edit: I mean I knew what it does, but I wasn't sure if it would let you do it. now you need to use --no-preserve-root

• hostnoob said: I've done rm -rf / too just to see what happens

No worry, we all did that!

• rm -rf httpd.conf

• Noerman said: I've done rm -rf / too just to see what happens

Did that on Host1Free to see what it does. Nothing important lost but good experience.

• chown www-data:www-data / -R is the worst. You feel you're so close that you spend hours trying to recover rather than restoring from backups.

• had a sight split brain issue with drbd.... replaced faulty drive... then commissioned the newly formatted block as master and told the live to sync to it :|

• Back in around 2003, I was running a VPS business using UserModeLinux (terrible visualization technology, but that isn't hte mistake). It ran all the vm's in screen sessions. I was working ona new base image and ran rm -rf /home . The problem I wasn't in the screen session of the vm I thought, I was on the host node and all my users vms were in the /home ...

That was a sleepless night, but we managed to recover them all buy dumping the running vm's ram state to disk . Was a very stressful night!

• Two years ago I rebooted a Xen VPS about 10 times when it was resizing it's disk and corrupted all of it's inodes.

• disable root login and install fail2ban, and I forgot the password..

• pkill -f ssh
    killall -9 bash
  • serverian said: killall -9 bash

On that topic, I've done pkill -v tinc forgetting that v does not mean verbose.

• rm -rf /*
    instead of
    rm -rf *

Didn't have enough coffee...

Thanked by 1OnraHost
  • 4 - 5 years ago: rm -fr / instead of rm -fr ./

• Silvenga said: On that topic, I've done pkill -v tinc forgetting that v does not mean verbose.

Hell, any killing of tinc for me would be an issue because that's what my management interface is on.

• @DalComp: Yeah, we are colleagues (handshare)

• sharuusharuu Member
    edited August 2014

1) Disabled root login on SSH and without adding alternate user - Locked out

2) Changed the SSH Port without enabling it on iptables - Locked out

• edanedan Member

Let her idle

• rm -rf /var/lib/mysql/* instead of /var/lib/mysql/dbPrefix_* to clear stale .frm tables / dirs.

FML :(

• my biggest mistake was: I miss the cheap VPS offer on LET

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

removed yum :(