Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server?

Comments

• Buying from UK2.net (Bi-annually ). disaster started in 3rd month and they had only 30 days money back guarantee (at that time,don't know about now).

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Locked myself out of 3 nodes... When? 3 minutes ago.

How? I have no fuckin idea on which port I switched the ssh to... And yeah, I am not kidding -.-

Thanked by 1Gadelhas
  • For all the people self blocked of SSH...

FFS! When you restart the ssh service you can test your configuration before disconnecting of your actual session ¬¬

@yomero said: FFS! When you restart the ssh service you can test your configuration before disconnecting of your actual session ¬¬

Yup... However my internet desided to drop just after I started typing :P

Ah well, KVM resolved it all, had to wait for 10 minutes to get it hooked, though.

• @yomero said: For all the people self blocked of SSH...

FFS! When you restart the ssh service you can test your configuration before disconnecting of your actual session ¬¬

Dad's stupid windows router closes idle connections after 15 seconds.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: Dad's stupid windows router closes idle connections after 15 seconds.

Keepalive n_n

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2012

@yomero said: Keepalive n_n

I was running off a ubuntu live cd at the time because of a dead hard drive cable (which costed $50 and was hard to find, and then took 6 weeks to ship from china), and I'd often forget to re-enable it.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Ah well, KVM resolved it all, had to wait for 10 minutes to get it hooked, though.

<3 IPMI

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie

@dmmcintyre3 said: I was running off a ubuntu live cd at the time because of a dead hard drive cable (which costed $50 and was hard to find, and then took 6 weeks to ship from china), and I'd often forget to re-enable it.

50$ for HDD cable? What kind of HDD was that ?

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @Alex_LiquidHost said: 50$ for HDD cable? What kind of HDD was that ?

It's an Apple laptop, and there was some sensor on the cable as well

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@dmmcintyre3 said: It's an Apple laptop

Long live vendor lock !
    M

Thanked by 2gsrdgrdghd tux

@dmmcintyre3 said: It's an Apple laptop, and there was some sensor on the cable as well

Oh, than I don't doubt it... 5$ cable costing 10 times more, cause it has an apple drawn on it.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited August 2012

Sometime in mysql directory I've messed with the standard databases (removed them) then Mysql stopped running and can't be started. What I recall is that I had to reinstall Mysql or reinstall/update something :( It only returned to run after an hour or more.

That's even more silly, it's when I was new to running my VPS I used to do dd tests and lots of time passed before I've noticed that my test files (1 gig in size) are stored in /root directory and not deleted by default, so that was just waste 3-4 gigs of HDD :p

• Disabled SSH password authentication and root login, copied public key for the sudo-user... only to realize after some hours of configuration and a reconnection try that I forgot to save the matching private key .___.

• Was in a web directory, typed rm -r ../../../, then realised that I was in /somedir instead of /somedir/somedir(with the same name), ended up deleting /var/www.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited August 2012

apt-get -y purge libc6
    (Back in that time I don't know what libc6 is and I'm just attempting to get some free space off)

• shutdown my production vps instead my own computer and go to sleep, after wake up I got so many email about downtime.
    I'm too lazy click shutdown button.

shutdown -Ph now

• Just ended up blocking myself from a client's server by trying to connect to the wrong port. Haha. Fortunately I was able to ssh in from one of my servers and unblock myself.

• DeorDeor Member

Letting my customers anywhere near them.

• ztecztec Member

@MrLabradoodle said: Reinstalled the wrong server.

Yep. Happened to me as well...worst mistake ever made.

• OK, I've got a new one:
    Adding the main user (root login disabled) to the sftp-group, then, after a restart some days later, noticing, that the sftp-group got a match-directive to disable the shell and chroot to /var/www.
    I was so goddamn happy when I was able to restore this using the recovery console...

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

< 2.0a BIOS update with CentOS 6... Nightmare.

• A couple years ago I was working on a server and went to check the partition map using fdisk. I hit the wrong key and ended up re-writing the partition table. Fortunately I had physical access to the server and I had some backups but I still had to reinstall everything. Painful mistake.

• I don't know about a big mistake, but sometimes when I reboot a VM I forget the connection in my terminal gets disconnected. So there have been times where I'll start executing commands on my local machine before I realize I'm installing packages on my laptop instead of my VM or something.

Happened just a moment ago. I tried creating a MySQL DB and after typing in:

mysql -u root -p

I got an error that mysql wasn't installed. Took me a moment to realize I wasn't connected to my VM.

• reinstalling the wrong VPS

• Asking sysadmins in Moldova to boot my server with IPMI...

• yeah. got new dedi today and install SolusVM slave with KVM VT. i don't notice but i make something wrong in bridge setup then restart network. :3 ( i hate IPMI )

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

ecit

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq;echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

then realized that i typo'd exit and that i just hardrebooted the cluster controller node at work.

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

[root@node0 ~]# rm -rf test*cd /home

again, typo...
    then.....

[root@node0 ~]# cd /home
    -bash: cd: /home: No such file or directory
    [root@node0 ~]#

lost days of work. gg no re

• Lots... I keep learning by doing (mistake)

Thanked by 1RLT