Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone have problems with EDIS and hosted RPis?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone have problems with EDIS and hosted RPis?

netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Mine went down weeks ago, and William nor EDIS is answering emails :/

Comments

• Forgot about mine long time ago, thanks for reminding me :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • William doesn't work for Edis anymore

Thanked by 3sepei rds100 Mark_R
  • LeeLee Veteran

Not seen or seeing any issues with EDIS, I have services in Austria, Iceland and Chile.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Mine is online and has a year of uptime.

Thanked by 2netomx Mark_R
  • I broke mine :( need to ship a new SD Card (second one so far) but can't find the time to do it. I really wish they would offer SD reinstall for some reasonable fee, I would probably pay up to $20 to save myself the shipping and hassle...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • The network to my RPi at EDIS had been a bit flakey over the last few days but my RPi has been stable.

• To make these last longer would it be better to boot and keep the actual OS on an external USB drive as I think they last longer than SD cards?

• @linuxthefish said:
    To make these last longer would it be better to boot and keep the actual OS on an external USB drive as I think they last longer than SD cards?

Another option is to set the the SD Card as read-only, then use tmpfs for files which change (if any) or mounting a remote share.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

they rebooted it, so... nvm :P

• I need to swap my sd cards every 3 months or so because they break :(. Had one go down yesterday, the fsck with the alternate superblock is still running. You might need to send them a new SD card...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Raymii said:
    I need to swap my sd cards every 3 months or so because they break :(. Had one go down yesterday, the fsck with the alternate superblock is still running. You might need to send them a new SD card...

Damn :(

• @linuxthefish said:
    To make these last longer would it be better to boot and keep the actual OS on an external USB drive as I think they last longer than SD cards?

Does a Pi support direct USB booting?

• Raymii said: Does a Pi support direct USB booting?

No, it only supports SD card booting, but you can use the SD card only for the booting and then use the USB for storage after it boots. We do this on our Raspberry Pi servers.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:

Do you still need a SD in them to network boot?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rds100 Good to know. I'm sonsidering buying a bunch of Raspberry Pis just to mess around with.

• @trewq yes, they always boot from SD card first. We turn off the SD card after the bootloader runs. By turn off i mean really turn it off (a couple of FETs and a small PIC microcontroller). So the SD card only gets used to load the boot code, after that it doesn't exist any more and the customer can't access it or damage it. This way there is always a working boot loader and a way to recover the system, no matter what the user does.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @rds100 said:
    No, it only supports SD card booting, but you can use the SD card only for the booting and then use the USB for storage after it boots. We do this on our Raspberry Pi servers.

Do you have config examples for this?

• @Raymii PM me your email.

• Mine went down weeks ago, and William nor EDIS is answering emails :/

I am not working for EDIS anymore.