VPS IO Benchmark Competition
Thought it'd be interesting to run a little competition to see which LEB has the best IO per $ spent. If you score 57 MB/s & your box is $5/month then your IO per $ spent is 11.4.
This is the first time we've run a competition, if you guys like the idea then we're happy to do something recurring themes (i.e. UnixBench/GeekBench/IOPS scores).
We will be measuring the IO from the following dd command:
dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
How to Enter
Simply run the following command on your box to enter, this will complete a full benchmark with ServerBear (not just dd):
wget -N https://raw.github.com/Crowd9/Benchmark/master/sb.sh&&bash sb.sh 'HostName - LEB Competition' 'PlanName' 'email@example.com' 'Price'
View the benchmark script (if you need to see what we are executing): https://github.com/Crowd9/Benchmark/blob/master/sb.sh
- HostName with the name of your host (i.e. Hostigation), you must include the LEB Competition so we know you are entering.
- Plan Name with the name of your plan (i.e. OVZ-128)
- Your Email address (you can leave this out if you want, but I will need this to send you the report + email you if you win)
- Price - Just include the monthly cost of the plan (in USD)
Why can't we just post our own DD numbers? - If we just asked you to run the dd command on your box, there's no way to regulate cheating or fudging of numbers.
I will update this thread with the scores, ranked by IO per $ spent. Once completed I'll aggregate it up to an individual host so you can see which hosts provide the best IO value. The competition runs until Midnight GMT on the 31st August 2012.
- 2 x winners (one of which must be non-ssd) will get their winning LEB paid upfront for the next 2 years (paid via Paypal)
- 2 x runners (one of which must be non-ssd) up will get their runner up LEB paid upfront for the next 1 year (paid by Paypal)
- You must benchmark a LEB (base plan monthly cost must equate to less than $7/month)
- You can only benchmark a single box once, so any tweaks must be made before you run it
- Multiple entries from the same user are accepted but must be different LEB's & IP addresses
- All entries will be checked to ensure the system specs match up with the plan submitted
- The benchmark is high CPU & IO intensive, we cannot be held responsible for any issues it may cause with your host.
Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.