Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SPI - Squid Proxy Installer (incl Authentication)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SPI - Squid Proxy Installer (incl Authentication)

Squid

Squid Proxy Installer (SPI) is a fully automated Squid 3 proxy installer shell script. It's build on top of Squid 3.x and NSCA authentication together with htpasswd from Apache. The script installs Squid 3 and sets up a anonymouse/elite proxy including user authentication to prevent abuse through bots, scanners and unwanted users. NSCA and htpasswd are used for the user authentication to be made as easy as possible.

All you have to do during the installation is to specify a desired username and password for the first user account. More accounts can be added later with htpasswd. It uses the default port 3128 which can also be changed later in the Squid configuration.

Supported OS:

• RHEL 5 based OS (32 & 64 Bit)
  • RHEL 6 based OS (32 & 64 Bit)
  • RHEL 7 based OS (32 & 64 Bit)
  • Debian (32 & 64 Bit)
  • Ubuntu (32 & 64 Bit)

Download:

Notes:
On 64 Bit versions of Debian & Ubuntu Squid requires more than 256 MB RAM even though the use is less afterwards while it works perfectly on 64 Bit versions of RHEL.

If you have any questions or problems feel free ask.

Comments

• i installed on debian 7 64bit but cant acces port 3128,
    Getting this error page:

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: /

Invalid URL

Some aspect of the requested URL is incorrect.

Some possible problems are:

Missing or incorrect access protocol (should be http:// or similar)

Missing hostname

Illegal double-escape in the URL-Path

Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

• edited January 2015

@shivoham
    What is the URL you are trying to access? Or does it happen with every URL?

I'm myself using it on Debian 7 and it works like a charm.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited January 2015

Works great, doesn't really work with OpenVZ but KVM works fine :)

• edited January 2015

@nexmark

Sorry but what? I developed and tested it on OpenVZ and it worked every single time. Running one on my iwStack cloud KVM, too.

God it's just a hell simple shell script. And Squid always worked on OpenVZ.

• @nexmark said:
    Works great, doesn't really work with OpenVZ but KVM works fine :)

Working great on 5 of my OpenVZ instances here, must be a problem your end.

• links are all dead, please update

• JustJon said: links are all dead, please update

Hello JustJon,

It has been moved to Github: https://github.com/hidden-refuge/squid-proxy-installer

Thanked by 1muratai
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Nice

• You're welcome guys. If you have a Github account feel free to follow and star the repo. Issues and suggestions are welcome to be posted in the Github Issues page for this script.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

SandwichBagGhost said: wget https://apps.singul4rity.com/squid/spi --no-check-certificate && chmod +x spi && ./spi -rhel5 && rm -rf spi

Promotes a terrible security practice (blindly running a script you just downloaded from a random website while also forcing to accept an invalid SSL cert). Will not touch this with a ten foot pole, most likely the rest of the script is also full of blunders like this.

• I have installed it, thanks for it. How do I use it now? Can I use it to unblock websites similar to a proxy server? Connect from windows to unlock websites at work etc,?

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited August 2015

@rm_ said:
    Promotes a terrible security practice (blindly running a script you just downloaded from a random website while also forcing to accept an invalid SSL cert). Will not touch this with a ten foot pole, most likely the rest of the script is also full of blunders like this.

I'm sorry that StartSSL (yes, it is a SHA1 cert til 2016 - I didn't buy it... I just maintain the server and software) is not accepted by most OSs when using wget/curl. The file hosting has been moved to Github where you can view the content from Github without downloading the file. Needless to say that some OSs even don't accept the cert that Githubs has.

https://github.com/hidden-refuge/squid-proxy-installer

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited August 2015

forumsuk said: I have installed it, thanks for it. How do I use it now? Can I use it to unblock websites similar to a proxy server? Connect from windows to unlock websites at work etc,?

It is a HTTP proxy you can use with software that supports this kind of proxies like Firefox or Chrome (plugin necessary). Hostname of the proxy is your VPS IP and port is the default used port 3128. After you've set it try to browse a site. You will be asked to login with the username and password you've set through installation.

I recommend https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/proxy-switchyomega/padekgcemlokbadohgkifijomclgjgif for Chrome to manage proxies.

You can unblock sites with it that depend on geolocation such as Netflix and much more. I don't know the setup at your work place. They might filter Squid traffic and block it. Quite easy to do with all firewall stuff and Cisco hardware and etc.

• Any suggestions on a web browser based proxy? Something like glype, but better? Does squid support something like this?

• @Jonchun said:
    Any suggestions on a web browser based proxy? Something like glype, but better? Does squid support something like this?

Sorry, but Squid is a HTTP proxy server and a HTTP reverse proxy.

It is not a PHP script proxy like Glype.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Very nice , though I just copy my configs on new server in 5-10 mins my squid works with ncsa authentication but I will prefer this one, will make things easier.

• Saahib said: though I just copy my configs on new server in 5-10 mins my squid works

Feel free to fork it and modify the code according to you needs.

This discussion has been closed.