Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Backup Solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Backup Solution?

I am currently using Crashplan it has been very slow all throughout. I want a service that can atleast give me half of my upload speed, which is 75 mbits. Looking for consumer level backup, not backing up a server. for personal use

I'm on Windows.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

How much do you have to backup?

BackBlaze generally gets good reviews, though I haven't used them personally. They are also unlimited storage but I don't know about speeds.

• @raindog308 said:
    How much do you have to backup?

BackBlaze generally gets good reviews, though I haven't used them personally. They are also unlimited storage but I don't know about speeds.

No more than 2.5TB at once most likely. It really depends since I backup footage from time to time, atleast I try to, it being slow and all.

• I use Crashplan with local network destination set up on another computer. Or use imaging capture solutions for faster backup/restore time.

"2.5TB at once" is enormous for consumer backup.

BackBlaze has a speed test page:

https://www.backblaze.com/speedtest/

They claim unthrottled. I did find this:

http://www.onlinefilestorage.com/does-backblaze-throttle-bandwidth-1665

• Backblaze.

• Yeah, Backblaze is more resource friendly than Crashplan.

• Trying out Backblaze now, but

Seems slower than Crashplan, which was 10megabits.

• Backblaze's datacenter is in california.

If you are far from it, then well....

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited December 2014

@StartledPhoenix said:
    Backblaze's datacenter is in california.

If you are far from it, then well....

But my speed is around 85 using a speed test, even to a california located server.

Thanked by 1Gadelhas
  • +1 for BackBlaze.

Where about in the world are you?

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited December 2014

@kcaj said:
    +1 for BackBlaze.

Where about in the world are you?

I'm in the US....

• Another one you could try is https://spideroak.com/. The 2015 pricing is $12 for 1 TB so is more expensive than Crashplan.

• A simple solution would be to purchase a 4/6/8 TB disk and put it in a server / at a friends house and backup to that disk. If that's not an option then I'd personally would rent a cheap server.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I've found that most of the consumer level backups solutions are slow to upload to. My recommendation having a 2 tier system in place which I find to be the most beneficial.

Home -> Server -> 3rd Party

Basically you have a VPS or server somewhere else that you backup to from your home computer, then that server is backed up via a 3rd party like CrashPlan, Dropbox, Backblaze, etc...

The benefit to this is that you first tier (Server) has a fast port speed (normally 100Mbps to 1Gbps) and makes backups and restores very quick. The second tier (3rd Party) is there for extra redundancy so if something happens to your first tier, you have something else just in case. Since the second tier is just a "backup of a backup", the upload and download speed aren't an important factor (as long as they eventually catch up to what you backup so you have fresh data to restore from). The reason I suggest this versus just backing up to a server directly is because the 3rd Party is usually a provider whose primary focus is on storing backups and making sure they are there when you need them so your data is probably much more protected and reliable than your server.

• @camjac251 said:
    Trying out Backblaze now, but

Seems slower than Crashplan, which was 10megabits.

That's the last file upload speed. Normally is not that reliable as it depends on what file it sent.

Just got an email from Code42 (Crashplan's parent) today. They are storing 5 Exabytes of backups. That's...a lot.

• Been very happy with CrashPlan, both on Windows and on Linux.
    If you have a lot of data to back up, it's going to take time for the initial backup, and you may want to give the Java process more resources, but it's always worked well for me.