Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowCost VPS in Kansas, Good or Bad idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowCost VPS in Kansas, Good or Bad idea?

gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Hi gang!

We are currently investigating the idea to offering cheap OpenVZ VPS in Kansas Area. You can find sample plan below:

UCV-128
Monthly Plan
1 CPU Core (Fair-Use)
128 MB Dedicated RAM
5 GB Storage
300 GB Bandwidth
100 mb/s port
1 dedicated IPv4
Kansas, USA Datacenter
Estimate price: $1.25/month

and

UCV-256
Monthly Plan
1 CPU Core (Fair-Use)
256 MB Dedicated RAM
10 GB Storage
500 GB Bandwidth
100 mb/s port
1 dedicated IPv4
Kansas, USA Datacenter
Estimate price: $1.75/month

All VPS will have fair-use policy on IO and CPU, and strict restriction on SMTP.

What do you think about those plans? Will you be interested into those offers or maybe you have others suggestions?

Regards, David

LowCost VPS in Kansas
  1. Are you interested into LowCost VPS in Kansas?23 votes
    1. Yes
      13.04%
    2. No
      78.26%
    3. Other suggestion, see my comment below...
        8.70%

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I can get more for the same price from a provider with a good reputation: http://tinyvz.com/

gig port, 10GB disk, 128/256, 500GB BW. Though when I used the service, I didn't care for his homegrown panel's lack of features (changing hostname was a ticket, etc.) Still, been around a while, good rep last I heard.

I'm not saying more people serving out of Kansas is a bad idea but there's competition.

• Kvm or xen yes, openvz no

• Nothing new to see here. If you're doing the same thing as everyone else, it boils down to marketing.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@joereid said:
    Kvm or xen yes, openvz no

We first think on Xen, but at this price and ressources, the OS will suffer...

An alternative, is Xen with 256mb and 512mb, but the price will increase.

• Isn't the market for VPS's in NA and EU a bit saturated ...? Iceland, Australia, Singapore, Hongkong, Japan, Africa, .. plenty of exciting locations

Thanked by 1sepei

@4n0nx said:
    Isn't the market for VPS's in NA and EU a bit saturated ...? Iceland, Australia, Singapore, Hongkong, Japan, Africa, .. plenty of exciting locations

Yes, the USA is saturated in my own opinion, but there is still demand. Also the location you propose are very expensive. A real good server and /25 cost a lot! Last time I check, an Dual-Xeon E5 in Singopore cost at least 3 time the same server in USA, France or Canada. :(

• davidgestiondbi said: Yes, the USA is saturated in my own opinion, but there is still demand. Also the location you propose are very expensive. A real good server and /25 cost a lot! Last time I check, an Dual-Xeon E5 in Singopore cost at least 3 time the same server in USA, France or Canada. :(

But the demand is only for even cheaper servers than the existing ones, right? There are so many deals on LET/LEB...

There are not a lot of offers for these locations -> more demand?

Just saying, I really don't need a $1.25 128mb VPS in Kansas when there are $10/y 768MB offers or better..

@4n0nx

Yes and no.

We were looking in the last weeks for Singapore, but like I say, it's very expensive to buy servers over there. So even with 50-100+ new clients, it's still dificult to make profit, pay staff, etc. so the reliability will drop. We don't want to oversell our nodes to be able to make profit.

Thanks for you opinion! :)

• Maybe launch a vpn service? i definitely would pay the prices mentioned in the original post if it came with a pre-installed vpn solution.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • inklightinklight Member
    edited December 2014

@raindog308 said:
    I can get more for the same price from a provider with a good reputation: http://tinyvz.com/

Looks like they are ramhost affiliate or the same ..their shared host not Good . OP if you want host site on it search on other provider . better not choose any provider have 15$/Yr or less Most of them are overselling

• Isn't there a DC in that area that has free directadmin?

@linuxthefish said:
    Isn't there a DC in that area that has free directadmin?

Maybe, but not our.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited December 2014

Maybe worth it if you need a VPS in Kansas, but you can get a better deal from Ramnode at $15/yr in Atlanta which I don't think is that much further away?

Also, if it's difficult to make a profit on servers in Singapore, etc. just charge more than you do in the US/EU

As long as it's still a pretty low price, people will buy and you can charge enough to make a profit

• inklight said: Looks like they are ramhost affiliate or the same

tinyvz is a 'lowend' Ramhost brand. Ramhost has been around for years, started out in Kansas City and has expanded to other locales. tinyvz may be their old KC equipment. And IIRC it's Kansas City, Missouri -- not Kansas City, Kansas :) Regardless, Ramhost is an excellent VPS provider.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @Mark_R said:
    Maybe launch a vpn service? i definitely would pay the prices mentioned in the original post if it came with a pre-installed vpn solution.

I never really set up VPNs because it was so tedious, but then found out there are many install scripts which make it take less than 2 minutes! :)

This discussion has been closed.