Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Berihoster.ru - not very sweet at all
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Berihoster.ru - not very sweet at all

edited December 2014 in Reviews

Hello,

With the recent "cripple" of the ruble I bought a few Russian VPSes hoping for a sweet, cheap barging. But you don't half get what you pay for.

I found this nice deal http://vds.menu/vds.php?id=525 for just 58Rubles thats around a dollar. I was aiming to use it as a cheap VPN but there was no Tun/Tap or PPP support.

Hmm, was next going to use it as a cheap CDN server so I ran a test on it. Sadly the petabyet token had expired before it had finished the test (facepalm)

========== Network =========

Gathering network information

Finishing up...

Generating & Sending Report to PetaByet.com...

========== Benchmark Report =========

Token Expired.

root@alpaca:~#

However I did run the freevps benchmark

root@alpaca:~# ./bench.sh

>

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz

>

Number of cores : 1

>

CPU frequency : 1199.778 MHz

>

Total amount of ram : 256 MB

>

Total amount of swap : 512 MB

>

System uptime : 4 days, 21:06,

>

Download speed from CacheFly: 517KB/s

>

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 286KB/s

>

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 423KB/s

>

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 440KB/s

>

Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 457KB/s

>

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 385KB/s

>

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 342KB/s

>

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 459KB/s

>

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 489KB/s

>

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 417KB/s

>

I/O speed : 345 MB/s

Personally dont buy from them, very very slow and limited CPU and no VPN support.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

So, you're the one overloading the server, huh?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

btw, try softether

• Well the 100mbit connection advertised on vds.menu is false, on Berihoster website it isn't written anywhere.

If you go on your vemanager you can see the bandwidth and disk limit set in the vm:

Also tun/tap/ppp were never advertised, so if you need them you better ask the host before buying.

What I like about Berihoster is that their datacenter is in Tomsk, not Moscow or St. Petersburg. Tomsk is in Siberia, in ASIA, not EUROPE. This means that with 1USD/month you have a VPS in ASIA, which is very rare.

The only bad thing about them that I can say for now is that they changed the bandwidth limit without any alert or announce. It used to be 8000 kbit/s the day when I bought it. But I'm fine with that as the location is pretty cool and the price very cheap to be in ASIA.

Thanked by 1bf1
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2014

MuZo said: This means that with 1USD/month you have a VPS in ASIA

If you're in for that, you should check out Infobox in Krasnoyarsk: http://infobox.ru/vps/linux/
    which is even further South-East.
    It's not as cheap but seems more well-known and I remember seeing some good reviews.
    However all their plans have a disk I/O limit (starting with 10 MB/sec on the two lowest ones); also they require pre-paying for a year on the lowest plan, and induce you with discount on other plans, I'm not a fan of doing that with any host in general, not to mention wouldn't recommend doing that here, as it's quite possible there'll be some other b/s like with Berihoster.
    One other thing that distinctly doesn't impress me with Infobox is that they openly say the host machine is connected at 100 Mbit/sec; so only 100 Mbps is shared between all customers on a node; and all of them have unmetered "up to 100 Mbps" each. Overall speeds are perhaps not too great for everyone.

• Why did you expect from $1 VPS?

• @Maniac said:
    Why did you expect from $1 VPS?

I get better from a 0.25€ VPS from Nanovz.com

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited December 2014

Story about folks who wants rent sky rocket for 1$ per month. LoL

• Withouth an iPV4 and not in russia. You can't compare that

• Interesting fact, all hosters who translated to English and support PayPal discreased their performance too quickly, guess they oversold exactly with cheap OVZ.

edited December 2014

Maniac said: Why did you expect from $1 VPS?

You must be new here, so let me explain you something. Cheapness has never been an excuse, because $1/month is not even that "cheap" by LEB standards. You can easily get top-notch service with Gigabit network, 500 GB bandwidth, uncapped CPU and hundreds of megabytes/sec disk performance for $13-15/year at a top-rated LEB provider. Okay, not in Russia, but you can compare. If for nothing else then due to the fact that you can easily serve your Russian visitors from Europe, e.g. from Netherlands or France, so Russian and non-Russian hosts pretty much have to compete in the same market.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • @rm_ said:
    You must be new here, so let me explain you something. Cheapness has never been an excuse, because $1/month is not even that "cheap" by LEB standards. You can easily get top-notch service with Gigabit network, 500 GB bandwidth, uncapped CPU and hundreds of megabytes/sec disk performance for $13-15/year at a top-rated LEB provider. Okay, not in Russia, but you can compare. If for nothing else then due to the fact that you can easily serve your Russian visitors from Europe, e.g. from Netherlands or France, so Russian and non-Russian hosts pretty much have to compete in the same market.

Russia != Not Russia, may be Russia ~= Ukraine / Moldova

Apples to oranges...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MuZo said: This means that with 1USD/month you have a VPS in ASIA

...though if you route through Europe, it's meaningless.

Do vds.menu VPSes route through Asia?

• rm_ said: If you're in for that, you should check out Infobox in Krasnoyarsk: http://infobox.ru/vps/linux/

which is even further South-East.

Yep, I'm tempted to buy one :)
    I'm also keeping an eye on adman.com (Novosibirsk) and netangles.ru (Ekaterinburg), they are more expensive than Berihoster/Infobox but still under LET limit. Do you have any experience with them?

raindog308 said: ...though if you route through Europe, it's meaningless. Do vds.menu VPSes route through Asia?

Well I suppose it all matters from the peering the provider does/has. But yes, most probably all the traffic to Asia will route trough Europe. Even so I still find the location pretty cool for a LEB.
    vds.menu is just a list of providers and doesn't provide any services.

• You can see a comparison with another host here (which was 60 rubles/mo)

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/832887/#Comment_832887

• MuZo said: MuZo

If provider located in Siberia it not meant they use local DC. Also Adman has a 10Mbit port on starter offers.

edited December 2014

raindog308 said: VPSes route through Asia?

MuZo said: Well I suppose it all matters from the peering the provider does/has. But yes, most probably all the traffic to Asia will route trough Europe.

Rostelecom has some Japan and China peering, Transtelecom has some China (but all of these likely overloaded). So you will need to check if your VPS provider uses one of these as their upstream. But even then, it'll be very much "hit and miss", don't be surprised if either forward or back route (or both) from/to Asia to your VPS go via Europe or the US.

MuZo said: I'm also keeping an eye on adman.com (Novosibirsk) and netangles.ru (Ekaterinburg). Do you have any experience with them?

Nope, haven't used any of them.

I hear very good things about Park-web OpenVZ in Novosibirsk: http://www.park-web.ru/content/blogcategory/50/166/
    But here the prices are in "у.е." which is their quasi-legal way of saying "Euro" (from 3.5 EUR).
    Also apparently you can get a 3 day free trial of a VPS.

Thanked by 1MuZo
  • fitvpn said: If provider located in Siberia it not meant they use local DC. Also Adman has a 10Mbit port on starter offers.

Berihoster

14    64 ms    64 ms    64 ms  RASCOM-CJSC.ear1.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [212.162.44.114]
     15    65 ms    66 ms    64 ms  80-64-96-118.rascom.as20764.net [80.64.96.118]
     16    66 ms    64 ms    64 ms  80-64-96-118.rascom.as20764.net [80.64.96.118]
     17   115 ms   115 ms   115 ms  82-117-166-157.nts.su [82.117.166.157]
     18   118 ms   116 ms   122 ms  core-gw.tomgate.net [31.24.24.4]
     19   122 ms   122 ms   122 ms  31.24.30.23

Tomgate --> ISP in Tomsk

Adman

12    40 ms    38 ms    39 ms  ojsc-rostelecom-gw.ip4.gtt.net [77.67.75.178]
     13   153 ms   152 ms   152 ms  95.167.93.10
     14   147 ms   146 ms   145 ms  217.65.83.18
     15   153 ms   155 ms   151 ms  adman.com [91.199.149.3]

http://whois.domaintools.com/217.65.83.18

inetnum:        217.65.82.0 - 217.65.83.255
    netname:        NOVOCOM
    descr:          JSC Rostelecom regional branch "Siberia"
    remarks:        Novosibirsk

Netangels

12    56 ms    57 ms    57 ms  ae3-xcr1.fri.cw.net [195.2.10.94]
     13    60 ms    62 ms    60 ms  rostel-gw1.fri.cw.net [62.208.252.26]
     14   113 ms   113 ms   113 ms  95.167.93.122
     15   133 ms   133 ms   132 ms  customer.xe-4-2-0.ebrg-rgr3.ur.ip.rostelecom.ru [87.226.138.210]
     16   114 ms   113 ms   112 ms  79.133.95.21
     17   109 ms   116 ms   113 ms  91.201.52.143

http://whois.domaintools.com/91.201.52.143

org-name:       Internet-Pro Ltd
    org-type:       LIR
    address:        Internet-Pro Ltd
    address:        Anton Khalikov
    address:        Tveritina st., 34
    address:        620026
    address:        Ekaterinburg

• Also LiteUnit seems to offer vpses in Novosibirsk

13    38 ms    38 ms    37 ms  rostel-gw2.fri.cw.net [62.208.252.222]
     14   154 ms   154 ms   152 ms  95.167.93.10
     15   124 ms   123 ms   123 ms  188.254.107.178
     16   124 ms   124 ms   125 ms  h-15-166.siberia.net [212.17.15.166]
     17   128 ms   128 ms   125 ms  serv3.liteunit.net [78.153.149.3]

http://whois.domaintools.com/212.17.15.166

netname:        MAGISTRAL-BGP-PTP
    descr:          Magistral Telecom JV.
    descr:          1201, 12, Lenin street
    descr:          630099, Novosibirsk

Although their business is registered in the Seychelles and they seem to be gaming related

Адрес   Suite 1, Second Floor, Sound & Vision House, Francis Rachel Str. Victoria, Mahe, Seyshelles 

• berihoster.ru enabled tun/tap within minutes after I asked and their benchmark while worse than Vstoike it's not so far from the benchmark of Edis russian server.

I think for the price it's a pretty decent deal.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • bf1bf1 Member
    edited December 2014

I have seen far worse for $5, and they were located in Germany or France, if you look at the bench and ignore the network which is not their fault as @MuZo said, you see I/O speed : 345 MB/s which doesn't show that the node is oversold, this is good for a name server or for someone who wants a VPS in Siberia, or for someone from Tomsk with a website or something that will actually make use of it, create a website on how to train seals or upload pictures with polar bears.

MuZo said: Suite 1, Second Floor, Sound & Vision House, Francis Rachel Str. Victoria, Mahe, Seyshelles

That's just copy-pasted from some other company's user agreement: https://startpage.com/do/search?cat=web&cmd=process_search&language=english&engine0=v1all&query="Suite+1,+Second+Floor,+Sound+&+Vision+House,+Francis+Rachel+Str.+Victoria,+Mahe,+Seyshelles"&abp=1&x=0&y=0
    And it doesn't look like there's any relation or affiliation between them.

The end IP 78.153.149.3 belongs to Adman (mentioned earlier in this thread), maybe just a VPS from them.

Also the LiteUnit website is sketchy as hell, and worst of all, looks like it's written by some school kid (lots of blatant spelling mistakes and generally bad style). That none of the VPS ordering links actually work, is probably for the better.

edited December 2014

bf1 said: for someone from Tomsk with a website or something that will actually make use of it, create a website on how to train seals or upload pictures with polar bears.

A gigabit VPS in the EU will be faster for Russian users than a slow (what, less than 5 Mbit?) VPS in Russia, especially at your hypothetical scenario of hosting photos/pics.

But I'd like to emphasize, low network speeds like these are not at all "normal" or "to be expected" for Russia. That guy using Park-web mentioned he gets 200+ Mbit on his VPS.

• bf1bf1 Member
    edited December 2014

Less than 5Mbit to EU and US or Asia, but anyway I was thinking about the local community when I gave those examples, meaning the community in Tomsk. About bandwidth, I know this is an example of a remote location and that many Russian providers offer better speeds. I also emphasized on the fact that this is a special case, not a general one where the host is overselling their nodes and that causes performance problems.

P.S. Thanks for pointing out the provider's name, the person that posted the info didn't mention it and I didn't understand exactly what provider he was talking about, now I will check park-web out to get a vps there.

@rm_ said:
    But I'd like to emphasize, low network speeds like these are not at all "normal" or "to be expected" for Russia. That guy using Park-web mentioned he gets 200+ Mbit on his VPS.

edited December 2014

bf1 said: Less than 5Mbit to EU and US or Asia, but anyway I was thinking about the local community when I gave those examples, meaning the community in Tomsk.

Home broadband users in Tomsk pay $15/month for unmetered plans which easily pull 50+ Mbit from EU servers. Again, your 5 Mbit VPS won't be the best choice to host content for them :)

(And Berihoster's network speedtest looks so sad, it gives me reasons to believe the speeds won't be any faster than 5-10 Mbit even within Tomsk.)

• I know I can't be right in this argument and you will always counter me with something, but you misread again my statement, I was referring to local users from Tomsk accessing a website hosted at this provider, which would theoretically work faster because it's very close unless the bandwidth is limited to 5Mbit/s for everybody? In that case it's good for a collector like me, I like the location and I will get one because of the price.

@rm_ said:
    Home broadband users in Tomsk pay $15/month for unmetered plans which easily pull 50+ Mbit from EU servers. Again, your 5 Mbit VPS won't be the best choice to host content for them :)

bf1 said: unless the bandwidth is limited to 5Mbit/s for everybody

Could be exactly that, or the network is way too oversold.
    Did you test upload speeds? Maybe just the downstream is capped.

• rm_ said: bandwidth is limited to 5Mbit/s for everybody

How to get more if port capped to 10Mbps? LoL Nobody provide 100Mbps unmetered port for 1$ per month :)

edited December 2014

fitvpn said: How to get more if port capped to 10Mbps? LoL Nobody provide 100Mbps unmetered port for 1$ per month :)

Well that Berihoster on their website does claim to provide 100 Mbps on this plan.
    If I bought and found that it's hard-capped at 5 or 10 Mbit instead, then I'd just request a refund.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited December 2014

Are you trust to miracle? :) All offers under 200 Rub capped to 10Mbps (few exclusions) looks like providers learn something avoid abusers. If looking for real performance try - Reg.Ru with XEN - I got 80Mbps easy