Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unofficial LET introduction thread! - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unofficial LET introduction thread!

Comments

• @vpsnodebox http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/36/how-many-lebs-do-you-have/p1

@infinity @jack Forgot about that, google's great indexing ability. But yeah, that thread...

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • Hi all,

I'll be lurking and lurking and than maybe posting and maybe lurking some more than maybe I'll mix in a LEB offer and than lurk some more because well I am a lurker, this sentence is long!

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Herro, my name is Hassan, living in USA, originally from Lebanon. I own and run my own webhosting company, and I wanted to be part of the discussions here :)

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited October 2012

Hello, I'm Max, and I just saw this thread, which is why I commented on it!

I own Max's Hosting Services, which currently specializes in Minecraft hosting, however, we're looking to expand to other markets very soon.

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited October 2012

@george_fusioned why are you moving now away from your sunny island?

• @djvdorp said: @george_fusioned why are you moving now away from your sunny island?

I'm still not 100% certain that I will take this step... it's not that easy, I'm already married and a baby is coming soon.
    But if I would do it, it would be for a better quality of life. Better healthcare, better schools etc.

LOL

• @George_Fusioned said: I'm still not 100% certain that I will take this step... it's not that easy, I'm already married and a baby is coming soon.
    But if I would do it, it would be for a better quality of life. Better healthcare, better schools etc.

Where are you planning to move to, and from where?

• @Raymii said: Where are you planning to move to, and from where?

I currently live in Rhodes, Greece. We're thinking about moving either to the UK, Netherlands or Austria.

• UK and nl have shitty weather :( Austria is beautiful.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hi !

I guess i am late here because i thought this is a thread where Taz was presenting himself and ppl were hissing and booing him like in other threads... So never read so far, but it got really big and i was wondering WTF...

So, I am from Bucharest, Romania, I live in the old jewish part of town, between the armenian church and the jewish theater. That is a good and a bad thing, one good thing is that is close to center and I dont have to walk a lot to various offices, and is bad because the houses are really old and internet came here late while power fails often, no matter how much ppl dig around to replace cables.
    I started a neighbourhood net some 15 years ago when we were sharing some dial-up, it grew up to a 4K leased line, then to cable, then to ADSL, then to fiber and now under my bed are converging 4 networks that in their glory times had like 400 users, but now with cheap internet and insane speeds locally only have about 50 users or so and will probably be stopped soon as maintaining switches in attics and ftp cables through trees is not worth it anymore.
    I am 37, married (of sorts), i like computers and servers, I make a VPS for everything or buy one, I have recently colo'ed my first server (some 3 months ago) and I am also one of the VPS collectors (tho, managed to cut back on that a lot lately).
    I have/had VPSes with many providers here, tho they didnt know it was me because i use many aliases as I find it too risky to give my real name to a kid with a server or even legit ppl because databases can be leaked... I am paranoid, I know, yet I never been terminated because of abuse by anyone.
    Recently been around @prometeus to learn a lot of things, we might even make a contract soon to help him with boring aspects of the vps business as he is a man with many talents making many hundreds of euros a day so you can imagine his time is expensive.
    I just quit my job (effective 1st) as I am ill (asthma sufferer) so I have to move some place in a forest at a safe distance from cities and pollution.
    If you were reading this hoping for some personal info, you will be disappointed, so stop reading now :) I am a paranoid freak since the times I was running some game servers and ppl turned out to my door to give me retribution for banning their team because of the cheating... While Aldryic is far away, you may never know :P
    Speaking of Aldryic, I am a fan of Tor and other tools to remain anonymous on the internet because I strongly believe that without anonymity there can be no democracy and no real opposition to governments running amok.
    I am not using them myself, most of the time, but I like to know they are there and ready anytime.
    As you can imagine, I do not smoke and really hate it, i dont have a car, I dont drink, nor take other drugs (even coffee or pepsi/coke). I also hate all forms of organized religion, no matter the gods themselves, I believe any dogma is bad in all aspects of live and humans can't understand gods if they exist, faith should be between the person and the god(s) without intermediaries. And, yes, organized atheists are a cult too, IMO.
    I like cooking but I am far from making great-looking plates like Martin, however ppl like my food and I am glad i can trade cooking for dish washing, cleaning and washing clothes.
    Romanian cuisine is varied from mediteranean-like in the south to nordic style in the center and north (not much fish tho, but potatoes, meat, beer, etc).
    M

• edited October 2012

@djvdorp said: UK and nl have shitty weather :( Austria is beautiful.

Exactly my thoughts :)
    Austria is actually the easiest place to move to, since I have relatives there (my mum's Austrian) and I was born in Innsbruck (so I'm considered an Austrian expatriate).
    Indeed Austria (and in particular Tirol :) is beautiful!

Then again, how can you leave this behind:

• @george_fusioned given that view, I think it's time you set up a commune...store supplies for a year... ;)

• Hi, guys.

I am Tianyi, come here to find reliable lowendbox providers and share my experience with providers.

• Hi, I'm Ishaq. Manager at BlueVM. I live in the UK. I like milkshakes >_>

• @Liam

London.

• @Jack

Milkshades? o.O

Mango mostly.

• I'm Dick, from the Netherlands. I use cheap VPS'es for storage of my important files, which is kind of my hobby project. All my virtual servers are connected with each other using OpenVPN and by using a redundant filesystem, my important files are saved on several different locations of the world.

It's a bit hard to find servers for this, because I can only use hardware virt (Xen, KVM, VMWare) servers. I don't need lots of memory (only 128 MB ... actually I just checked one of the servers and excluding buffers/cache it is using just 24 MB), but I need about 30-40 GB of storage (although more is always preferred).

Anyway, that's why I check LEB :) I currently have my NAS at home for storage, 2 VPS'es in the Netherlands (one is only doing meta data and my mail/website), 1 VPS in UK and 1 in US.

• @cybje welcome to LET...good intro (use case). What redundant filesystem do you use? Btw, you may have noticed there are lots more storage vps offers...check recent threads

• cybjecybje Member
    edited November 2012

I use MooseFS, because it's relatively easy to setup. To add a chunkserver (server that saves the files) I just need to sign a new OpenVPN client key, configure the MooseFS chunkserver so it will connect to the master and install the firewall. This is a matter of about 10 minutes including installation of MooseFS and OpenVPN.

Only disadvantage is that the MooseFS master is not high available. In my case this is not a problem, because I only need the redundancy. If the MooseFS master is down, I have to do a manual failover to another server that has the metadata saved.

A nice advantage of MooseFS is the possibility to set the level of redundancy (on how many different servers the data will be stored) per file and directory. So more important data can be stored on more servers.

• Hi, I'm Mangkook from Malaysia. I'm here to discover the new side of VPS and LEB. I wanna learn how to setup my own vpn and socks proxy since my ISP throttle torrent activity 20 hours a day and allow it at dawn. I'm not a heavy downloader, I just want to be able to do so at will, not scheduled. I also think it'll be very good experiment and learning experience.

• Hi, my name is Robert, you can read more about me here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/162180

• I am from Pakistan, i am from health profession, this is just pastime.

• Sean McRobbie here, director of OpenITC. Many of you will already know me from the early LEB days as XenVZ from way back when our 32MB VPS was used to set up the LowEndBox wiki.

We have been very quiet for some time as we've been very busy developing on many fronts. OpenITC comprises of two technical directors so that's what we do: We develop almost everything in-house from billing, ledger system / assest management, VPS management and IP resource management. It's of huge importance to us as it really streamlines they way we operate allowing us to achieve really great pricing.

In the last 24 hours I completed support for Linux KVM. Our panel now supports OpenVZ, Xen and KVM. We hope one day that our platform will be ready for others to use so would love to hear feature suggestions at some point (in another thread, of course).

• @HalfEatenPie said: My name is Don and I'm from Colorado, USA living in Pennsylvania, USA while an asian from South Korea. I always get asked the question "are you South Korean or North Korean?" so there you go, I"m south Korean, stop asking me that.

I own everything

Isn't south korea the oppressive one? How did you get out?

• @Robert_ES said: Hi, my name is Robert, you can read more about me here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/162180

You linked the thread that condemns you!?! hah.

• @Corey said: Isn't south korea the oppressive one? How did you get out?

I'm good friends with Ill. We were bros.

• @HalfEatenPie said: I'm good friends with Ill. We were bros.

Oh I just researched and north korea is the bad place....

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

@Corey said: Oh I just researched and north korea is the bad place....

Word. Yep.

Now I'm in the land of shotguns, cheap beer, and apple pie.

I like it better than rice.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Corey said: Oh I just researched and north korea is the bad place....