Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

storage + ssd + gbit: is dacentec the best for me?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

storage + ssd + gbit: is dacentec the best for me?

I need a gigabit port for occassional bursts although montly traffic won't be more than 1-2TB, I need storage drives and an SSD too for OS/database. It seems that dacentec has a very good offer at $40 (2x2TB disks, 8GB RAM, passable Opteron CPU) + $15 for the SSD. Anything better? I am not against grabbing two servers even (one for storage, one for SSD) or paying a little (5 or perhaps 10) more. Online.net for example has a very cheap SSD server but that Atom CPU is a bit weak for database, I am afraid. What I am not 100% happy about is the lack of FTP backup. But then again I have a $10 yearly VPSdime 50GB storage VPS which will do for the most important stuff.

Comments

• Try Object Storage from RunAbove

• Try Object Storage from RunAbove

• edited December 2014

Side note: If you absolutely need to mount/access the files directly from a Linux machine, Openstack Swift is supported by only two programs - s3ql (which is useless for your purpose) and cloudfuse . Cloudfuse has a few known issues, see the link for details.

On Mac, you can easily use Cyberduck, and on Windows, Cloudberry Explorer.

• chxchx Member
    edited December 2014

The storage is for seeding from there (legal stuff, just lots of legal stuff) I have no idea how that would work via a network mount... you know how it is, most of the things just sit there peerless for weeks then suddenly someone needs it.

Then there will be some websites. Which also need to reach this storage (sigh).

But that doesn't help with the original question: any other good hosts :) ?

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

All December try out our new AMD Opteron server for 75% off the first month ($10) with promo code NEWAMD

• Hey, we might be able to help you if you're not in a hurry. Shoot me a private message if you're interested. ;)

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited December 2014

Delimiter could do you a Dual L5420, 16GB RAM, 2 x 2TB, /29 and 10TB transfer for $59/month (paid quarterly). That could be done from stock.

• 2x2TB for $40 is indeed a nice deal. If you don't need large traffic between your website and your storage, you can mount the storage onto the SSD server and then you can choose a cheaper / more reliable plan for websites.

For example having a SSD node with DO/vultr and then a storage server from VPSDime/Dacentec/online/ks etc.

• @icry said:
    Try Object Storage from RunAbove

I can't believe people still recommend RunAbove after all the negative things said about them.

• @chx said:
    It seems that dacentec has a very good offer at $40 (2x2TB disks, 8GB RAM, passable Opteron CPU) + $15 for the SSD.

Link to the offer?

• @Crab https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart - coupon NEWAMD for 75% off first month

Thanked by 1Crab
  • @TheCTS said:

Plz...Tell me wat is the problem with RunAbove....???

• @icry said:
    Plz...Tell me wat is the problem with RunAbove....???

Pretty sure they have killed peoples live VM's etc. have a read through the RunAbove thread.

• @wych said:
    Pretty sure they have killed peoples live VM's etc. have a read through the RunAbove thread.

Ok...Thanks Bro....Then Do you think that they may cheat on Affliate commissions too...???

• @icry said:

More than likely but no idea as I haven't been promoting them to find out first hand.

• @wych said:
    More than likely but no idea as I haven't been promoting them to find out first hand.

Ok...Thanks....Said Because Had my 3 sites in its lowest sandbox plan 2.5$/month for little more than a month and Did'nt have any problems till now...But I am currently reading that runabove thread and I starting to get afraid.....Will backup all my sites asap...tanx a lot...Didnt even think that they may cheat...Coz their representation and the backup from ovh made me blindly believe them....Tanx a lot for opening my eyes :)

• You should always have backups, and just remember OVH isn't a saint they have pulled a few shady moves in the past.

• wych said: You should always have backups, and just remember OVH isn't a saint they have pulled a few shady moves in the past.

or maybe it's the client who did shady moves. i still have my account and servers are fine..

• @TarZZ92 said:
    or maybe it's the client who did shady moves. i still have my account and servers are fine..

Given some of the people I saw complaining about those issues I doubt they were shady, sure some of them ran MongoDB or similar.

And the sandbox instances are well that; sandbox and OVH can kill them as they wish.

Either way good for you.

• @TarZZ92 said:

I made an account and spun up a small VM. I updated it, and then left it idle for 24 hours until I could come back to it. When I logged in again, my VM was deleted. I'm totally a shady person.