Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Looking for feedback on our OnApp Cloud setup. Free stuff!

Looking for feedback on our OnApp Cloud setup. Free stuff!

ElliotJElliotJ Member
edited July 2012 in General

Now Virt.IO has switched to OnApp Cloud, we're looking to find out a few things as we're trying to improve our level of service for everyone. To do this, we're offering active LET members a chance to have a 256MB KVM on us, absolutely free with no commitment to buy from us (although, if you do want to continue your plan, let us know)

What we're trying to find out

• We're trying to decide between OnApp's own portal vs. using a highly integrated WHMCS setup.
  • How our SSD set-up holds out under database strain, or Minecraft strain, your choice.
  • If anything's not working as you'd expect, what that is, and how it can be improved.
  • Generally, if there's anything you'd like to see in terms of free/small-fee extras (No pie, no kittens).

We really want these tests to be utilised well, so if I notice you're idling away, you'll get a firm slap from me, personally :3 Seriously guys, please only sign up if you're interested, someone else might really want a go :p

Our conditions for the trial

• We only have 10 slots available.
  • It's a 1 week trial, commencing when you sign up.
  • Only one trial VPS per person.
  • It's only open to active members of the LET community ('cause we love you guys)
  • You're agreeing to our standard terms of service when signing up, viewable here
  • You use the VPS, and let us know how you're getting on in this thread. If you hate it, don't be shy!

VPS details, and how to get one

So! You're still interested after reading through all that, or you got bored of reading it. If it's the latter, please read everything above!

Here's what you'll be gettin'

• 256MB RAM
  • 3GB SSD Storage
  • 100GB Bandwidth
  • The WHMCS integrated control panel
  • Our everlasting love.

To apply for one, simply reply to this post saying that you agree to our trial conditions, as well as our standard terms and conditions, making sure you're an active member of LowEndTalk.

Thanks for reading guys, and I hope you're interested.

Cheers!

Comments

• Sure, I'd like to test that onapp.

Disclosure: I work for Query Foundry LLC.
    I own DA International Group Ltd.
  • ZenZen Member

I agree to your trial conditions, as well as your standard terms and conditions. VPS please. ;)

I work for Nodisto.

• I've love to run some benchmarks if possible :)

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • I'd like one to test.

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • I'd love one to test, and i accept your terms. :']!

Thanks, Chris. (UK)

• Droppin' some PMs now! Thanks for the responses :)

• I'm also interested in testing, if you have free slot's count me in please.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

Eek, we're onto it @dmmcintyre3, I'll update you in a mo'. :(

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

Update: Looks like we've found our first OnApp bug. I'll drop you a message @dmmcintyre3, sorry about that.

• May I try it?

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said: May I try it?

Absolutely :) Message incoming.

• vahevahe Member

Hey, I'm interested too. Any slots available?

• Am I missing something.. But uhm, it keeps "failing" to do things...

Ref Date    Action  Status
    849 2012-07-26 00:19    ConfigureOperatingSystem    Cancelled
    848 2012-07-26 00:19    ProvisionVirtualMachine Failed

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

@eastonch said: Ref Date Action Status 849 2012-07-26 00:19 ConfigureOperatingSystem Cancelled 848 2012-07-26 00:19 ProvisionVirtualMachine Failed

If those are the only two items in your log, then that was me forgetting about the OnApp provisioning bug. Basically, it gets confused about which template to install, so throws a small hissy fit.

Hopefully, you'll be able to continue as normal from your end, but if it doesn't, let me know.

EDIT: Yup, one of the old OnApp bugs has bitten again, looking into it. Sorry about that.

• It's saying that it's locked.

Actions
    Virtual Machine is locked

And it keeps refreshing... I selected Debian x86 6

• @eastonch said: Am I missing something.. But uhm, it keeps "failing" to do things...

I can only see the one fail. I'm rebuilding it now.

Loading Deck - Cloud Consultants: Server Management | Consultancy | Software Development
  • It allowed me to start "deleting it" so I deleted the isntance and tried it again.

• @eastonch said: It allowed me to start "deleting it" so I deleted the isntance and tried it again.

Looks like you're online now :)

Loading Deck - Cloud Consultants: Server Management | Consultancy | Software Development
  • When building the VPS on the panel it appears as pending its status although I already got the confirmation email about it been created.

• Completely online now, running ServerBear's scripts to get a full output of performance.

Initial setup was a bit rocky, however once it's setup, it seems really easy to use, the top bar where I can view graphs, looks a little small and doesnt have enough attention brought towards it for my liking personally.

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

@thekreek said: When building the VPS on the panel it appears as pending its status although I already got the confirmation email about it been created.

There's 'created' and there's 'created' your plan would've been activated on WHMCS, but still needed to be deployed on the OnApp Hypervisor.

I might have a look at the email templates to clear up the confusion.

@eastonch said: the top bar where I can view graphs, looks a little small and doesnt have enough attention brought towards it for my liking personally.

Onto it :)

• @ElliotJ thanks for clearing up the confusion, it would help a bit to add a small knowledge base.

• +1 @thekreek

Some form of handy "How the @halfeatenpie do i do this?!"!

• @thekreek said: knowledge base.

http://wiki.virt.io

Let us know if you need any articles which aren't in there and we'll get them written.

• We have a neglected knowledge base that could do with a few more articles actually. http://wiki.virt.io/

I'll note down what people are getting most cheesed off about, and write up some articles tomorrow.

• Could that be highlighted on the onapp control area, eg, "Troubleshooting / Wiki Link" somewhere on the page, for people not used to this sort of CP, @jhadley.

• @ElliotJ I talk too fast without checking the whole site before, apologies.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

@eastonch it's in the footer of the page, but I take your point, it'd be nice if it was more visible. I'll work that in when I'm fixing up the OnApp navigation links.

@thekreek No worries, we all do it :P

• Ah, i'm tired and i'm looking for things that just shout at me, rather than looking for specific things, knowing that if I ever get stuck, there's a help button, or help page, without actually needed to look for that form of usability... Puts me at ease, as a client / tester. :']!

• LAKidLAKid Member

@ElliotJ vmhosts.co.uk is using exactly same setup.

• @LAKid said: @ElliotJ vmhosts.co.uk is using exactly same setup.

With the OnApp/WHMCS integration? Interesting. I personally haven't come across another provider on LEB using it before. Aside from that, we are using KVM instead of Xen, and hopefully the SSDs will play nicely.

We're really deliberating on whether to use the current WHMCS integration setup, or fall back onto the standard OnApp panel. Hopefully this will give up some insight.

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited July 2012

[root@ ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf iotest 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.10039 seconds, 346 MB/s

wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin --2012-07-26 01:05:57-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 140.99.94.175 Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|140.99.94.175|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream] Saving to: `100mb.bin'

100%[=====================================================>] 104,857,600 10.7M/s in 9.7s

2012-07-26 01:06:07 (10.3 MB/s) - `100mb.bin' saved [104857600/104857600]

IOPING [root@~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=testfilex bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.66566 seconds, 403 MB/s

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.1 Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 3292.704 MHz Total amount of ram : 245 MB Total amount of swap : 1023 MB System uptime : 4 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 10.2MB/s Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 2.44MB/s Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 2.23MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.39MB/s Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 11.2MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 8.68MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 971KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 1.31MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.29MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 2.01MB/s I/O speed : 467 MB/s

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

@LAKid said: 403 MB/s

Not as fast as I'd hope to be seeing, although I'm presuming it's the initial hit with people (re)installing stuff and running benchmarks.

Hopefully by tomorrow it'll stabilise and hit 600MB/sec+

• DanielMDanielM Disabled

@jhadley said: Let us know if you need any articles which aren't in there and we'll get them written.

So you own This or @ElliotJ ?

• Just to add, we're not just looking for lots of dd tests, but some thoughts on the control panel, any bugs, general usability etc., and most importantly, whether having tried the server you think the prices are reasonable.

• @DanielM said: So you own This or @ElliotJ ?

@Jhadley owns VirtIO.

• @DanielM said: So you own This or @ElliotJ ?

I own it at the moment and Elliot's helping out. Elliot has helped out an awful lot so it may well become joint ownership fairly quickly.

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited July 2012

@ElliotJ I have one of those free vps from Vmhosts, I thought you are a cousin or something, because the control panel is exactly same. Based on my experience, if you want to make clients feel comfortable, don't use WHMCS integrated control panel, it's a crap and slow even though it works.

• @LAKid said: @ElliotJ I have one of those free vps from Vmhosts, I thought you are a cousin or something, because the control panel is exactly same. Based on my experience, if you want to make clients feel comfortable, don't use WHMCS integrated control panel, it's a crap and slow even though it works.

Thanks for your input @LAKid, I had a similar first impression, but it's nice to hear it from other people too.

Depending on how things go, we might be able to try out the OnApp portal too, so you can compare/contrast the two experiences.

• The centos 6 template isn't that good. (ext3 filesystem, too much crap running by default) It's slow to reboot/reinstall There doesn't seem to be a way to change OS templates (click "Rebuild Virtual Machine" and it just reinstalls the same template)

• @dmmcintyre3 said: The centos 6 template isn't that good. (ext3 filesystem, too much crap running by default) It's slow to reboot/reinstall

As discussed on IRC, the templates aren't ideal at the moment. I'll be looking at rolling our our own templates shortly.

Changing OSes is a little awkward at the moment - You need to stop and then delete your virtual machine, and then re-deploy it.

• LAKidLAKid Member

Debian 6 is fully functional without any problem: Centos is a crap. Below is after webmin/virtualmin installation:

Debian Linux 6.0 Kernel and CPU Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 on x86_64 Real memory 243.42 MB total, 121.85 MB used Virtual memory 1023.99 MB total, 16.92 MB used

• azizmbazizmb Member

Can I give it a test run if there's any slots left? I've read the terms and conditions and accept them!

• I like OnApp, please send me one. thanks.

• namename Member

@ElliotJ said: Our everlasting love.

I only want it, : )

I'm a stupid cat, don't blame me.

• DanielMDanielM Disabled

@jhadley said: I own it at the moment and Elliot's helping out. Elliot has helped out an awful lot so it may well become joint ownership fairly quickly.

Ahh, well good luck :)

and btw i was going to reply other day but ive had to reformat the infected servers! and i lost your email :(