Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is using bare metal server better or a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is using bare metal server better or a VPS?

I just purchased a Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB from delimiterVPS.

I have a small website and a forum which consumes less than 1GB of ram.
Is it better to use some kind of virtualization on top of the server or use it directly?
Any advantages of setting up Virtualization over a server?
I heard restarts are much quicker when using openVZ, is that true?

Comments

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited December 2014

Depends on your use case.

Bare metal gives you complete control over your environment, but virtualisation is cheaper and more efficient (you can go with providers that can spin up servers in seconds).

Thanked by 2Maximum_VPS comXyz
  • @evnix I have the same speck too. I use proxmox and divide it to several KVM and OpenVZ so I can play around.

• 0xdragon said: Bare metal gives you complete control over your environment, but virtualisation is cheaper and more efficient (you can go with providers that can spin up servers in seconds).

I have already purchased a dedicated server, is it better to setup a vitualized environment over it? or use it directly(bare metal)?

I was thinking in terms of keeping snapshots where in if something goes wrong with the software, I can just make a new container from the snapshot and destroy the old one instead of re-installing everything again.

I think, it also provides an added layer of security.(But I am not sure about this)

I basically have a LAMP setup, so was thinking in those terms.

• @evnix said:
    I basically have a LAMP setup, so was thinking in those terms.

You're completely correct. And I definitely think that it will help you! :)

• You get free virtualizor afaik, so you can divide it into VPS's for different services or for testing stuff.

• I use proxmox for snapshots of my hosting environment on my bare metal servers it give me faster backups, option for easy restoration if something go wrong and next year when i can get better servers on the same price i will migrate vm easily without adding a stress to customers...

I'm using bare metal cause cause whant to manage cpu fair shareness by myself

• Agree with our dragon.

I personally prefer VPSes than dedicated servers, don't know why :P

Maybe because I don't have to worry too much about RAID, power, HDD failure, someone cut my network cable..... when using VPSes

• Unless that's the only thing I intend to run, otherwise I prefer to use VMs or at least containers (e.g. docker) to keep them separated from the rest of the stuff on the dedicated.

• This is my first time using a dedicated server, so I have this question,
    If I use containers, can one IP be shared among the containers?
    If so, then how can two containers share the same port?

• The_creatorThe_creator Member
    edited December 2014

@evnix yes you can share one IP among multiple virtualization instance.

You have to use NAT configuration and some sort of reverse proxy like nginx or something else you can try this tutorial I found it on LET today:

http://fatgecko.com/article/3/How+to+Run+NAT+IPv4+OpenVZ+VPS+Servers+++IPv6+on+Centos

credit to the original author @AutoSnipe.

Regards

Thanked by 2zimbo evnix
  • thanks @The_creator, now I ll start experimenting with my first dedicated server :)

• I prefer running a virtualization layer with Citrix XenServer. It allows better management of the machine -- even if it is a single large VPS running on it.

• Personally you are almost better off with bare metal. Virtualization has a cost and it can lower your performance.

On the flip side you can do some very amazing things and make a 100$ server at like a 2000$ server.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2014

@evnix Virtualization - bigger application abstraction layers, worse performance, bad efficiency, ability to create and manage multiple virtualization nodes with easier node backup and management. In Your case, go with bare-metal - one usage one node, virtualization is used when having at least one physical machine and multiple clients with different needs.

• linuxthefish said: You get free virtualizor afaik, so you can divide it into VPS's for different services or for testing stuff.

A single IPv4 though.

• @kcaj said:
    A single IPv4 though.

Doesn't Virtualizor do NAT?

• sc754sc754 Member
    edited December 2014

@evnix said:
    I just purchased a Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB from delimiterVPS.

I have a small website and a forum which consumes less than 1GB of ram.
    Is it better to use some kind of virtualization on top of the server or use it directly?
    Any advantages of setting up Virtualization over a server?
    I heard restarts are much quicker when using openVZ, is that true?

If you have additional ip's I would use virtualization, particularly openvz for performance. It's very useful to virtualize the server to do complete system backups easily and of course for isolation. If however you dont have additional ips then better stick with bare metal unless you want to do a messy nat setup.