Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS usage stats (DNSMadeEasy vs. Rage4)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS usage stats (DNSMadeEasy vs. Rage4)

pechspilzpechspilz Member
edited December 2014 in General

I just moved a domain from my DNSMadeEasy account to Rage4 since I wanted to use DNSSEC and SSHFP records which DNSME do not support. It's just an admin domain which generated around 5000 lookups per day on average. However, once the domain was active on Rage4 the amount of queries (according to Rage4's usage stats) increased over 20 times to over 200k queries a day. Did anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Check your TTLs. By default the Rage4 ones are quite low, like 3600 for NS records and such. Crank those up for things you're sure won't be changing too often.

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited December 2014

Agreed, but default TTL on DNSME is 1800! Except for NS.

• Yeah, I always have crazy stats like that, which is why I bought an unlimited account.

• edited December 2014

@0xdragon said:
    Yeah, I always have crazy stats like that, which is why I bought an unlimited account.

+1 Prometeus has these for 12EUR https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=2

For 12 EUR, the features included are quite worth it.

• unlimited domains
    • unlimited queries
    • dnssec
    • geodns
    • failover
    • vanity nameservers

It translates roughly to 15USD

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • 0xdragon said: Yeah, I always have crazy stats like that, which is why I bought an unlimited account.

Which whom? DNSME or Rage4?

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Rage4 via Prometeus.

• I noticed that with Rage4 so moved to DNSME

Thanked by 1asf
  • You're pretty much at the mercy of your DNS provider and must trust their figures.

In my opinion, this is the issue with pay-per-query DNS services, you have no way to independently verify the amount of queries you're using. From what I understand, the amount of resources needed to record the amount of queries is equal to answering the query itself, which is why most services don't count queries.

Thanked by 1Profforg
  • If you have DNSSEC enabled in Rage4, expect your stats to be at least triple the usual amount. NSEC3 is enabled by default after all.

• Yeah, I got that too so I deleted my domain from Rage4.

• Thanked by 1SplitIce
  • Same here. A domain that had 1+ million queries at Rage4 which originally made me get an unlimited package had less than 50,000 queries the month after I changed to DNSMadeEasy, no change in TTL. Ho hum.

Once Francisco gets the bugs worked out in his Staminus Anycast setup, will be $45 / year for your own cluster. A lot cheaper ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

GStanley said: Once Francisco gets the bugs worked out in his Staminus Anycast setup, will be $45 / year for your own cluster. A lot cheaper ;)

Pfft it's already fixed ;)

Wasn't so much a fix as "Goddammit OpenVZ why are you so silly".

Francisco

• if I order this, does it will give me an additional account of Rage4.com? or no additional account and only can manage domains in the panel of prometeus?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Number of queries processed depends from various factors like DNS software used (cache distributed or not), GeoDNS, DNSSEC enabled, EDNS0 support, public DNS servers etc. We are hosting large number of domains but only few users questioned the number of requests - our answer is that we collect raw data from our servers and do not affect them in any way

@ranpha - yes, we use DNSSEC with NSEC3in live signing mode but DNSSEC is not enabled by default - you need to configure it manually

• I have same problem

• hotsnow said: if I order this, does it will give me an additional account of Rage4.com? or no additional account and only can manage domains in the panel of prometeus?

You get an (additional) account with Rage4, and manage everything from the Rage4 system/panel.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • I dont't care . Because once you buy an iwstack account for 30 euro,then you get a 512M 5G HDD kvm running for a year plus a FREE rage4 account and 10 G HDD ftp/static site. never image such a wonderful provider.

Thanked by 2marrco myhken
  • Is GeoDNS for all zones included in the unlimited package Rage4?

• sepei said: Is GeoDNS for all zones included in the unlimited package Rage4?

Yes.

• @cece said:
    I dont't care . Because once you buy an iwstack account for 30 euro,then you get a 512M 5G HDD kvm running for a year plus a FREE rage4 account and 10 G HDD ftp/static site. never image such a wonderful provider.

How and where to get this deal

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited December 2014

@sonic said:

See 'Rage4 DNS Account' - https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=2

• Not free, it's 15$

• You are right @kcaj, that's for the 12EUR Rage4 DNS deal.

The deal in the quoted text is this one for 30EUR: https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=17

^ @sonic

• @sonic said:

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=17

Please note that Rage4 account opened via Prometeus can be used only for internal private/business purposes.

• @gbshouse That was kinda obvious judging from the too-good-to-be-true-price but I don't think that fact is stated anywhere when ordering the product. And why make it unlimited if its only for internal purposes?

• gbshouse said: internal private/business purposes.

What exactly does this mean?

• @kcaj said:
    What exactly does this mean?

No reselling im guessing