Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anycast IP addresses & IP failover now available at BuyVM!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anycast IP addresses & IP failover now available at BuyVM!

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Hello everyone,

After much work, Anycast IP addresses & failover IP addresses are operational!

Customers with service in all 3 of our locations can assign themselves anycast IP addresses and then enable them to be bound on each virtual server!

We've also brought failover IP support, making it so you can failover/migrate an IP within the same location, allowing you to build an affordable high-availability cluster. All IPV6 addresses, all Internal IP addresses, all anycast IP addresses, & all non-main IPv4 addresses can be put into "failover/floating" mode.

Customers wishing to use anycast (and have services in all locations) can visit the the 'Networking' tab of whatever virtual server they want to 'own' the anycast addresses, click
the gear drop down, and assign up to 5 addresses to themselves. If you require more, just
open a support ticket and we'll take care of you.

OpenVZ Customers

Once you click save on each VPS, you'll now have a new 'ha0' interface. This interface is bridged right to the nodes primary interface, allowing you to bring up/down the interface, and it's IP addresses, without our assistance. Usage of applications like heartbeat will allow you to automatically migrate any configured IP addresses between virtual servers within the same location.

Be sure to follow standard 'network interface configuration' guides for your distribution of
choice.

KVM users

Bind the IP addresses within your VPS like it was any other standard IP address. IP's marked as failover/anycast will not be issued over DHCP, meaning you must configure the addresses yourself.

Remember, do not set the default gateway on any anycast addressess. Due to the nature of anycast, outbound connections are not predictable, meaning there is no promise the return path will return to the location it started.

Comments

• Fantastic! I have been following the various threads.

• Nice one!

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Congrats mate :)

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited December 2014

@Francisco I take it that ordering is back up? Any chance of a bundle for KVM? :)

• Is the anycast ip address is ddos protected?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

If you pay for it to be, yes.

It's $5/month.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

It's $5/month.

Francisco

Sadily I don't remember your company name

• It's finally here!

• PetaByetPetaByet Member
    edited December 2014

Seems like all OpenVZ VPSes are out of stock.

Edit: Everything is out!

• @wojons said:
    Sadily I don't remember your company name

BuyVM/FranTech

• T> @Francisco said:

It's $5/month.

Francisco

Thank you

• Great news! You're giving out a great deal here =)

I still can't see Lux location at the website. Are they available?

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited December 2014

@lmerino said:
    I still can't see Lux location at the website. Are they available?

OpenVZ: https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=30

KVM: https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=31

KVM Storage: https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=32

Everything is out of stock

Thanked by 1lmerino
  • Oh, they're so sold out! >_<

Stock should return later today/tomorrow :)

I just want to get the last few quirks figured out. Alas, a lot of the final stuff can only be found out with large scale beta.

Francisco

• @Francisco Tried assigning an IP - and it looks like it assigned it across all 5 of my VMs (figured it would make me choose the 1 in each location). And not seeing ha0 after some on - save - off - save - on - save.

Will just wait it out - or perhaps wait for someone smarter than myself to write a guide :P

Stallion automatically shows what IP's are available to each VPS, but you have to actually flick each of them to the 'on' state for it to be allowed past the IP locks.

Aware of the ha0 thing, OpenVZ screwed up how bridges bind in the newest builds of VZCTL so I got a fix on the way out the door in a bit.

Francisco

• @Francisco Ah okay. By default the anycast IP was flicked to 'on' on all of my VMs - not sure if that's correct? I'm fairly familiar with Stallion now, thought it would be 'off' until I went in and turned it on for each location - but I guess that may've been a feature to prevent people from having dead zones if they didn't turn it on everywhere.

Future feature request: At a glance, give me the VMs that the Anycast IP is assigned to - from the networking tab of each page - list of hostnames would be useful for determining which IP is set to what VMs (for anyone with more than the required 3 VMs).

• @Francisco said:
    Stallion automatically shows what IP's are available to each VPS, but you have to actually flick each of them to the 'on' state for it to be allowed past the IP locks.

Aware of the ha0 thing, OpenVZ screwed up how bridges bind in the newest builds of VZCTL so I got a fix on the way out the door in a bit.

Francisco

Can I just tell you that you're a genius?

It should've left them in off mode but maybe I fumbled on the SQL insert :) Ticket it in.

I'm not 100% sure if the 'show everything available' was the best way of handling it. I think the best thing would be for us to also add a 'pop over' where you hover over the IP and it tells you what VM "owns" it and what's floating it.

I expect there to be a rush of extra polish this week.

Francisco

• @0xdragon said: Can I just tell you that you're a genius?

I thought that went without saying when talking about @Francisco

@Francisco said: It should've left them in off mode but maybe I fumbled on the SQL insert :) Ticket it in.

Done.

@Francisco said: I'm not 100% sure if the 'show everything available' was the best way of handling it

>

I expect there to be a rush of extra polish this week.

Simpler UX can come later. We're just stoked about the functionality being there :D

• Hello Fransisco, I have existing DDOS protected assigned for each my vps (I have total 3 vpses). Is it possible I add 1 anycast ip as DDoS protected? or should replace existing ddos protected ? Thank you

@mikeyur

Try that, that should sync your ha0 interface now :) I'll check into the 'automatically active' thing as well.

KVM's should be addressed as well. There'll be a future node side update for that to address IP locks for IPV6 and reducing the amount of chatter users are getting.

Thanks for the interest,

Francisco

• So far so good bro ;)

• @Francisco Cool, will try it out later. I'm getting 'status unknown' in Stallion right now for all my boxes.

• My two OpenVZ hosts are showing "Status Unknown" as well (my one KVM is showing Active).

For those OpenVZ hosts, console (says disconnected), setting root password and reinstall do not seem to be working. The OpenVZ hosts are responding to pings, so I'm guessing it's just a control plane problem?

• @oti @mikeyur They're working on that, should be fine soon.

• Seems the "filtered" anycast IP's are unreachable at the moment.

IRC -

<Aldryic> But if you want, just quote this line letting folks know Staminus seems to have misconfigured something while setting up Anycast, and that we're working to get Filtering back up ASAP.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited December 2014

I must confess, it's impressive to see a host prepared to add features rather than drop prices in order to sell services. It's an example I'd like more hosts to follow.

• Any good tutorial for Debian 7? Would be an interesting project to set up a HA cluster over the holidays season.