Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutum.co Docker
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tutum.co Docker

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited December 2014 in General

I couldn't believe that I found no mention of this here. This is an excellent find that some of you guys will love. Basically it's a docker auto installer and web front end and you supply the VM (no OpenVZ, Docker doesn't work on OVZ) over API (Digital Ocean, Amazon, Azure) or you can bring your own VM from the LEB provider of your choice. KVM works.

https://www.tutum.co/

They have their own library of Docker applications ready to install or you can use the public Docker repo. You can even add a private image.

To anyone not familiar with Docker, think premade images for a TON of purposes. Premade web server? Check. Premade mail server? Check. It's pretty much a gold mine for the average LEB/LET user.

Just thought I would share this thing. Try it out, let me know what cool ways you find to make use of it!

Comments

• Good find, although at the moment the agent only works on Ubuntu 14.04

At the moment, Tutum Agent has only been tested in Ubuntu 14.04. We are working to make it available to more platforms soon. https://support.tutum.co/support/solutions/articles/5000513678

• Thanks to let me know this site :-)

• Good!

• Woohoo, nice find! Thanks! Sharing is caring­™ :-)

• gah no link with rackspace :(

• Saw the Pricing page. Just wonder how they will charge in the future. It's not fun to pay to install free software on Linux.

Thanked by 1borjaburgos
  • I don't know if they say it on the page but I think you are required to have 64 bits Linux running on your box to have docker.

Thanked by 1borjaburgos
  • borjaburgosborjaburgos Member
    edited December 2014

Hello everyone! This is Borja, CEO and co-founder at Tutum. Some of you emailed me and let me know you had first heard about Tutum here. I just wanted to stop by, say hi, and make myself available for any questions you may have. Thanks for all the feedback!

• @borjaburgos said:
    Hello everyone! This is Borja, CEO and co-founder at Tutum. Some of you emailed me and let me know you had first heard about Tutum here. I just wanted to stop by, say hi, and make myself available for any questions you may have. Thanks for all the feedback!

Will a self-hosted version eventually be freely available?

• TheLonelyTheLonely Member
    edited December 2014

Thanks!

This will come in handy for me.
    A selfhosted version would be nice to have but not necessary.

@Gadelhas said:
    I don't know if they say it on the page but I think you are required to have 64 bits Linux running on your box to have docker.

Nowadays a 64bit on low resource machines is almost equally than the 32bit version. See CentOS 7, only 64bit and no 32bit version.
    I always install the 64bit of an OS.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

TheLonely said: Nowadays a 64bit on low resource machines is almost equally than the 32bit version.

I don't understand what this means.

See CentOS 7, only 64bit and no 32bit version. I always install the 64bit of an OS.

Unless you have >4GB of RAM, running a 64-bit OS is pointless. You use extra disk and extra memory for 64-bit.

Granted, it's not huge and on a 2GB VPS with 60GB of disk or whatever, it doesn't make much difference. Still, you're talking to an audience that adores the 128MB VPS, so you won't see people here running 64-bit OSes in them.

64-bit only is one of the many reasons that CentOS 7 is disappointing.

• @Gadelhas said: I don't know if they say it on the page but I think you are required to have 64 bits Linux running on your box to have docker.

Exactly. Read: not suitable for LEBs. Interestingly enough, LXC runs on 32bit distros, but not Docker after migration to its own container technology. Too bad really.