Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advise on mutliple ips on single nameserver
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advise on mutliple ips on single nameserver

praveenpraveen Member
edited December 2014 in Help

I was doing some testing on our own DNS setup using Power DNS and MySql replication and things are going nice. I noticed that some DNS providers provide multiple ip's for single name server , to make it more clear for e.g if we do a intodns query it should look like this

ns1.domain.net. ['xx.xxx.xxx.xxx', 'xx.x.xxx.xxx'] [TTL=172800]

just in curiosity I tried adding a duplicate 'A' record for the second ip on the name server for ns1.domain.net and created corresponding child name server record on the domain registrar .

Now it is working and intodns query returns exactly as shown above.

I also tried switching off all other dns servers keeping only the second ip on ns1.domain.net and tried accessing the test records and seems working fine. When we ping ns1.domain.net some times it goes to first ip and otherwise second.

My question to the experts here is that, is there any other logic like load balancing to be implemented to achieve this in correct way? or is there any harm in leaving the second ip there? can this cause any issue?