Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i swap my HDDs with SSDs on my dedicated webserver
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should i swap my HDDs with SSDs on my dedicated webserver

khavkhav Member
edited December 2014 in Help

My website uses basically just php(i.e no database) and my server setup is Nginx+PHP-FPM.At peak times(>400 users online) , i have notice that my web proxy loads a little slow and videos take about 1-2 seconds longer to load.My iowait is between 10-40% according totop command.

My OS is centos 6.5

Would any ssd really speed things things up in my case and worth the switch?

Is there any command i can run on the server to see if ssd worth it ?

Regards

Comments

• Yes, SSDs should reduce the iowait and improve the responsiveness of the system.

Thanked by 2khav coolice
  • @rds100

I also notice that ssh tend to be slow at that time , like a yum update taking like 4-5 mins to finish

I want to be sure ssd will benefit me because its going to add $200 to my hosting bill (2x1TB Samsung 850 Evo Pro in RAID 1)

• How much space do you use? Do you really need 1TB?

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited December 2014

@khav run iotop and /or atop ( I recommend and on second terminal) and press d to watch process by disk activity an monitor disk busy staus

sar -d 1 -will give you an idea of used iops (rule of thumb 100 for sata drive / 20k for single ssd)

ps. you can install munin can store the data for the day so you can analyze all you peak usage

pss I do not know what script you run but 400 online users and 40% iowait smell as misconfiguration unless you rund file download service or image hosting...

PSSS If it is read IO you can compensate with disk cache in ram (or single ssd flashcache in write around mode - It's totally save to be single in that mode and will be inexpensive upgrade)

PSSSS I vote for SSD it is really nice to work with

• I recommend to use quality SSD drives. Cause I have heard a lot that SSD drives life is less as compare to HDD. Always user Raid 10 setup with SSD.

• @AlphaNinevps_com said:
    I recommend to use quality SSD drives. Cause I have heard a lot that SSD drives life is less as compare to HDD. Always user Raid 10 setup with SSD.

I recently saw a review of 8 ssd drives (consumer grade), they all lasted for over 300TB of writes. Some lasted to 2PB...

• khavkhav Member
    edited December 2014

@rds100

Yes i need 1tb hdd currently around 500gb is used by system + logs
    Also its a really busy site and users 100tb+ bandwidth per month
    @coolie
    sar -d 1

02:55:38 AM DEV tps rd_sec/s wr_sec/s avgrq-sz avgqu-sz await svctm %util 02:55:39 AM dev8-0 215.15 15434.34 1236.36 77.48 1.06 5.28 2.45 52.73 02:55:39 AM dev253-0 219.19 14658.59 1228.28 72.48 1.14 5.75 2.41 52.73 02:55:39 AM dev253-1 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

iotop

Total DISK READ: 11.13 M/s | Total DISK WRITE: 70.40 M/s

• Stop unnecessary logs. It'll help a little on performance and your ssd lifetime.

• khavkhav Member
    edited December 2014

@NanoG6 said:
    Stop unnecessary logs. It'll help a little on performance and your ssd lifetime.

This has already been done ....i log to the minimum

• Just curious can you post a link to the site.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited December 2014

What the hell is writing with 70MB/s, while there are only 11MB/s reads. You should investigate this.

• @rds100

Can you shred some light and tell me how

I guess logs are writing to files ...

• @khav said:
    rds100

At least run iotop to see who's writing that much.

• khavkhav Member
    edited December 2014

@msg7086 there is a lot of php-fpm process each having an IO of 30-99%