Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Storage] Any BuyVM promo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Storage] Any BuyVM promo?

Hello all,

any info promo for storage vps from buyvm here?

Thank

@Francisco

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've never seen them do promos.

They're the Apple of the LowEnd world :-)

• @raindog308 said:
    I've never seen them do promos.

They're the Apple of the LowEnd world :-)

So I'm paying 21$ for the name, while the services actually cost 7$?

• @xDutchy said:

Probably, yes. Storage is cheap these days. Although, they also have staff costs.

xDutchy said: So I'm paying 21$ for the name, while the services actually cost 7$?

LOL. Also, they exploit third world labor, force you to listen to U2, and in the movie Ashton Kutcher plays Francisco.

Thanked by 2Maniac vRozenSch00n
  • @xDutchy said:

No. That's like saying you're paying $100K for a Lexus vs $25K for a Honda and it's all because of the name. I'm not commenting on the quality of any providers, just the market in general.

• vpslegendvpslegend Member
    edited December 2014

@xDutchy said:

You're putting BuyVM & part-time or summer hosts( 99% of whom wouldn't even be around in an year's time ) in the same league? Really lold hard at that.

• alexhalexh Member
    edited December 2014

vpslegend said: You're putting BuyVM & part-time or summer hosts( 99% of whom wouldn't even be around in an year's time ) in the same league? Really lol's hard at that.

I've been with BuyVM since Oct. 2010; they're friendly, humorous, honest, and provide a great service. I would never consider BuyVM a "low-end" host based on my experiences. They're just a company you can trust, and I can see them being around for a long time.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Yes BuyVM might have a few plans priced 7$ or below but they definitely don't fall into the lowend category as you can easily get 3x specs with other hosts as compared to what you get at BuyVM.

K2Bytes said: Yes BuyVM might have a few plans priced 7$ or below but they definitely don't fall into the lowend category as you can easily get 3x specs with other hosts as compared to what you get at BuyVM.

There will always be cheaper. Heck, you can go to cloudatcost and get a lifetime VM for $35. If you're 20 and live to 80, that's $0.05 a month for 512MB, and I'm not even figuring in TVM. By that logic, anyone charging 10 cents a month is raping the customer!

If you do sign up...good luck with that.

I buy on reputation and my previous experience. There aren't many I would put in BuyVM's league.

K2Bytes said: but they definitely don't fall into the lowend category

First, what is your definition? Ours is $7/month or less. BuyVM has several plans that meet that price.

As for LowEndStreetCred...wasn't BuyVM the original $15/year provider?

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited December 2014

@raindog308 said:
    First, what is your definition? Ours is $7/month or less.

Well it was like that about 18 months ago or so but now it just seems to be "more for less". I have seen many people here saying $7 for 2 GB RAM is too expensive!!!

Providers also seem to be on their way to race to the bottom with 2$ managed vps(check providers section) plans.

So those are the few reasons I wouldn't consider BuyVM a lowend provider as of now.

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • I should've added a sarcasm tag or something to my previous post..

• raindog308 said: They're the Apple of the LowEnd world :-)

That's an insult to BuyVM, to be honest.

I personally think BuyVM are just sensible about their pricing and their strategy. Nothing wrong with trying to compete on features rather than pricing. Seems to work out fine for many companies. Those who compete on pricing have to give in on other things (like service, hardware, performance, etc.).

• I had to wait a whole hour for my latest ticket to be resolved... on my $15 vps... went to them directly from hostrail and haven't looked back (did I really just compare them???)... I'm more for features now than bottom dollar now too...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2014

Hi,

We don't have any discounts running right now.

If you're needing some really fancy features, though, we got those in spades.

As for the rest of you, while we did start on here and I still take part in threads related to us, you're right, we've been working hard to pull the brand into "enterprise features w/o having to take out another mortgage" .

Francisco

• I had VPS with BuyVM before there was BuyVM.

They were just Frantech back then.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@kendid said:
    I had to wait a whole hour for my latest ticket to be resolved... on my $15 vps... went to them directly from hostrail and haven't looked back (did I really just compare them???)... I'm more for features now than bottom dollar now too...

You should check what's in the pipeline :D Can't discuss it too much otherwise it'll turn this thread into a sales pitch and annoy the mods.

Francisco

• mpkossen said: I personally think BuyVM are just sensible about their pricing and their strategy. Nothing wrong with trying to compete on features rather than pricing. Seems to work out fine for many companies. Those who compete on pricing have to give in on other things (like service, hardware, performance, etc.).

That's why they stand out :) among many others who sells similar services.

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • @Francisco said:
    Francisco

Do an offer on LET or "the other place" :P

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Personally I wouldn't recommend their storage VPS if you are looking for something stable. I've had one with them for over two years and it's quite unreliable, just a couple weeks ago the entire node (storage03) I was on was lost. They seem to have major problems at least once per year, sometimes more.

They do give account credit for extended downtime which is nice. You'll probably just need to decide if it's worth the trouble.

RAID5 was the bane of those storage nodes so I'll agree with you there @colm. It was a poor choice on my side to use it with such large drives.

The nodes that have been rebuilt to RAID6/RAID60 have none of those issues. A prime example is the storage node over in Jersey that's sitting 200+ days uptime.

The LU storage is already RAID6 based and many of the nodes in LV have been rebuilt to RAID60 as well. The rebuilt ones have all been solid.

Even with top end drives, RAID5 is dumb past 1TB drives I've now realized.

I blame my lack of experience with RAID5 for that all so you have my apologize for the lack luster service.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • Francisco said: I blame my lack of experience with RAID5

A gentleman.

• @Steven_F said:
    No. That's like saying you're paying $100K for a Lexus vs $25K for a Honda and it's all because of the name. I'm not commenting on the quality of any providers, just the market in general.

24/7 BoltVM support seems like $25K for a Lexus. :D