Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone have a Chromebook & seen any good deals this w/e?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone have a Chromebook & seen any good deals this w/e?

Considering getting one, wanted to know others thoughts on it.

Comments

• It's essentially Chrome with some hardware.

• they are also giving away 1TB google drive.

• I'd probably install Linux onto it for more general use as well.

• I'm looking at the c720, seems like a good machine to run Ubuntu on. You can also get it cheap

• Yeah I'm also looking for something to run Ubuntu on, plus it claims to have good battery life. Need to find a decent deal within the UK.

• @krs360 said:
    Yeah I'm also looking for something to run Ubuntu on, plus it claims to have good battery life. Need to find a decent deal within the UK.

There was a few on ebay, refurbished with 12 month warranty for 132 pounds. It's the best I've found.

• Saw one but one month warranty

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am buying EEEPCs with 2 GB ram for 50 Eur here, no need for a chromebook. If it were at 100 $, maybe.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    I am buying EEEPCs with 2 GB ram for 50 Eur here, no need for a chromebook. If it were at 100 $, maybe.

Link me, please.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Bought one, used it for a few months, sold it. For the $200-300 they're asking, you can get an Atom-powered device with 4GB of RAM, a bigger screen, and a 500GB hard drive that is comparable.

With a regular laptop, you can do everything a Chromebook can do. The reverse is not true.

You do get 1TB of space, so if you were paying $10/month for Dropbox or OneDrive or whatever, over two years that'd add up to $240, so the Chromebook would in theory be free. They also give you some wifi passes for plane rides...though honestly, if you have to find all this free stuff to balance out the cost of the device people must not really want it that badly :-)

The Samsung one I had was SSD-based and was actually not bad...I could see buying one to run an alternate operating system.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • I installed Ubuntu on mine with Crouton. It surprisingly ran well.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@FtpIt_Radi said:

http://www.okazii.ro/netbook/asus/laptop-notebook-asus-10-1-white-eeepc-1000h-eepc-1000h-intel-atom-n270-1-6ghz-1gb-ram-40gb-hdd-camera-wifi-card-reader-vga-a162618835

Of course, not always super deals can be found. I took my latest 901 with 4+16 GB ssd, good battery (some 3-4 hours), 2 GB ram, 220 Ron which is about exactly 50 Eur.

• I personally would not want one, sorry I am a Windows guy when it come to workstation for whatever usage.

Ontopic, there's a lot of vendor and models you can look it up on youtube there's bunch of different reviews

• I would run Ubuntu on it as we'll but you are right in saying you can pickup a regular laptop for a similar price. @raindog308

• I've seen some really good Dell deals in the UK, similar size and specs to the Chromebook but running Windows, and they were around the same price too.

• bashedbashed Member
    edited December 2014

i had the c720 installed xubuntu and fluxbox because it only has 2 gb memory. i like the intel Chromebooks because i prefer regular x86_64bit package instead of arm. I was able to recompile the kernel and everything it was great. But 2gb memory is too little so i mostly ran fluxbox wm and at the the time upgrading to 4gb was expensive now it's like 40-50 i think. i sold it for a nice profit and miss it im lugging around a 15" heavy acer now

Im looking to buy anther one.but not on eBay but Rather on Craigslist. Too much demand on eBay and some sellers are selling them too high with buy it now when you can pay a little more for a new one at a store.

Black Friday i didn't find any good Chromebook deals. it doesn't matter though i don't mind used and eventually one will popup on CL cheap anyways.