Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider that allows Keepalived Failover on Virtual IP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider that allows Keepalived Failover on Virtual IP?

Has anyone ever setup keepalived to have a virtual IP address "shared" between two VPSs?

I was going to set this up with ChicagoVPS, but they said it wasn't possible and recommended lame DNS failover.

What provider might support this? Setting it up at home during tests has been a piece of cake.

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Iwstack

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • This can be done on our VPSes.

• contact @drserver and he will be able to set this up for you.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • One thing that I didn't make clear in my initial post is that I would want this to be separate physical servers. I believe it is easy if each VPS is on the same host machine, but it seems that IP addresses get locked in to a certain physical server's MAC address.

@jeff_lfcvps @wojons @drserver -- would this still be possible with VPSs on separate physical nodes?

• Or choose are cloud provider with redundant virtual routers which can do load balancing and failover automatically.

• @smcpeck said:
    One thing that I didn't make clear in my initial post is that I would want this to be separate physical servers. I believe it is easy if each VPS is on the same host machine, but it seems that IP addresses get locked in to a certain physical server's MAC address.

jeff_lfcvps wojons drserver -- would this still be possible with VPSs on separate physical nodes?

This should not be an issue at all. I suggest opening a ticket with him.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

smcpeck said: One thing that I didn't make clear in my initial post is that I would want this to be separate physical servers. I believe it is easy if each VPS is on the same host machine, but it seems that IP addresses get locked in to a certain physical server's MAC address.

We are currently testing new way of fail over VPS hosting. Open sales ticket, i will explain you more there. Also we can discuss pricings

• Last time, I made an implementation of HA Cluster (DRBD, Corosync, Pacemaker, failover/floating IP) at dediserve.

You can get 65% black friday discount:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/38227/dediserve-black-friday-65-off

Or just contact @dediserve, and tell what you need.

They have good support. :-)

• @Imam86 said:
    Last time, I made an implementation of HA Cluster (DRBD, Corosync, Pacemaker, failover/floating IP) at dediserve.

You can get 65% black friday discount:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/38227/dediserve-black-friday-65-off

Or just contact dediserve, and tell what you need.

They have good support. :-)

The sale is over I believe, it is for BF only

• smansman Member
    edited December 2014

Keep in mind that the the amount of protection this gives you is limited. You are still vulnerable if the data center goes off line which happens more often than most people think even in the better data centers. Almost certain both servers will be on the same network segment so you are still vulnerable to DDoS issues, core router and core switch issues, UPS issues. If both servers are in the same rack then you are vulnerable to rack switch issues. Those things combined are probably almost as common if not more so compared to issues with individual servers.

I'd love to see someone offering virtual IP between 2 completely different data centers with reasonable physical separation (ie. same city is ok but not 2 buildings next to each other)...at a reasonable price. It's possible but rare.

Thanked by 1smcpeck
  • CloudVPS allows this on their Openstack platform, they even have a guide for it: http://www.cloudvps.com/community/knowledge-base/load-balancing-with-ip-failover/ - the two "Availability Zones" are in two different data centers, fully redundant links in between.

• We also offer Geo Load Balancing at DNS level, so you can have installs in multiple clouds, and failover between them or global traffic direction between them.

Thanked by 1vimalware