Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to hide webserver IP with proxy (ex: squid)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to hide webserver IP with proxy (ex: squid)

sonicsonic Veteran

I have a website (nginx + phpfpm + mysql) and i want to hide server ip.
Please let me easy way to do that as i'm noob.

I often use cloudflare or incapsule but i have bad experience with them.

Comments

• If your using CF you need to make sure your site doesn't leak the IP...

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • You can use nginx on another VPS as a reverse proxy. Ideally something close to your origin server because it will add a delay for the user. I typically do this from one of my servers at OVH if I need DDoS protection.

But as @wych said, you gotta make sure your IP doesn't leak. As a simple step: don't create any subdomains or point any other domains (that can be connected with you or the main site) at the origin IP. So don't make a ftp. or mail. subdomain pointing at the main server.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If you need SSL, use nginx. If you don't need SSL, varnish is easier to setup and faster in my experience.

Thanked by 2sonic vRozenSch00n
  • sure, my ip doesnt leak; i dont like CF coz much downtime these days
    i willing to pay for tutorial to setup reverse proxy to hide my webserver ip

• @sonic said:
    tutorial to setup reverse proxy to hide my webserver ip

Just use Google - http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/using-nginx-as-reverse-proxy.html

Thanked by 1netomx
  • What kind of bad experience did you have while using CF, may I ask?

• @erkin said:
    What kind of bad experience did you have while using CF, may I ask?

A lot of downtime these days

• @KuJoe said:
    If you need SSL, use nginx. If you don't need SSL, varnish is easier to setup and faster in my experience.

Could you please link me to tutorial :D

• AndreiAndrei Member
    edited November 2014

Would a reverse proxy on a VPS for shared hosting be possible?

• Andrei said: Would a reverse proxy on a VPS for shared hosting be possible?

Sure, you can reverse proxy to whatever you want, as long as it's correctly set up on the other side.

Might be more complicated to really hide the original IP address though. (as the best way to really hide the IP would probably be like to run the webserver in a jail/vserver, with it knowing only the ip of the jail/vserver and use some kind of nat/firewall to redirect traffic from the external ip to this one. (it's theoretical, didn't try that)

In shared hosting you can't change that. if the webserver knows the web facing ip then some script can leak it.

Thanked by 1Andrei
  • AndreiAndrei Member
    edited November 2014

@ben78 said:

Many thanks for your reply, if I have a website on a VPS in lets say in Germany and I want to hide it behind a reverse proxy in France, does it matter how far the countries are apart or internet speeds in general?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Andrei said: Many thanks for your reply, if I have a website on a VPS in lets say in Germany and I want to hide it behind a reverse proxy in France, does it matter how far the countries are apart or internet speeds in general?

Yes. France <-> Germany would be something like 20 ms away so not a big problem.

• @Nyr said:
    Yes. France <-> Germany would be something like 20 ms away so not a big problem.

Is a 512mb RAM VPS enough?

• @Andrei Depends what kind of traffic you're pushing, but yeah, should be more than enough.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Andrei said: Is a 512mb RAM VPS enough?

Since you are talking about shared hosting, I assume you don't have millions of hits per month. Even 64MB of RAM would be enough.

Thanked by 2Andrei Quinten
  • extremezextremez Member
    edited December 2014

@mikeyur said:
    You can use nginx on another VPS as a reverse proxy. Ideally something close to your origin server because it will add a delay for the user. I typically do this from one of my servers at OVH if I need DDoS protection.

But as wych said, you gotta make sure your IP doesn't leak. As a simple step: don't create any subdomains or point any other domains (that can be connected with you or the main site) at the origin IP. So don't make a ftp. or mail. subdomain pointing at the main server.

I never create any subdomain pointing direct to my ip.
    but my ip still leak when I checked here
    http://www.crimeflare.com/cfs.html#box

dunno how they were able to detect my server ip

• bf1bf1 Member
    edited December 2014

Would be interesting to find out. That crimeflare website is very funny treating everybody as a criminal just because they are using cloudflare, but I am sure some are, here are some examples from their list of criminals: surrogatemotherhelper.com, baby-shower-decoration-ideas.com, msnperak.gov.my

@extremez said:
    dunno how they were able to detect my server ip