Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen 128 or OVZ 128 for Wordpress?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen 128 or OVZ 128 for Wordpress?

jeffpanjeffpan Barred
edited July 2012 in General

Hi, I have a blog running with wordpress on a Xen 128MB VSP installed by the LEB script.
But my mysql sometime eats too many memory thus make the VPS crached.
If I switch to OVZ 128M it seems the burst memory of 256M is enough for my WP application.
So which is better for wordpress, Xen 128 or OVZ 128? thanks.

Comments

• Lower memory installs are usually better on OpenVZ since an Xen/KVM box needs to run its own kernel etc.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sometimes the same thing can take more RAM in OpenVZ than in Xen, except in the case that vSwap is enabled by the provider. I'm honestly not sure if SQL is hurt by a lack of swap or not, but I would suggest going to BuyVM's 128 (they still add stock every few days) and their SQL hosting that costs next to nothing.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

I think its 10 dollars for a year for their SQL hosting :P

(I haz one)

• @GetKVM_Ash what's the best price for your 256M KVM VPS? thanks.

• £4.00 a month at the moment, unless the promo on the third/fourth page of LEB is still valid, I'm not 100% sure I will check for you now :)

• @jeffpan said: But my mysql sometime eats too many memory thus make the VPS crached.

You shouldn't allow this to happen.

Configure mysql (and your php/http) to stay within your available memory. If you get a high traffic peak some users will be refused, or queued and made to wait, but the integrity of your VPS remains intact.

Same thing applies whether you have 128MB or 2GB RAM.