Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Debian 6 vs Ubuntu 11 for 256Ram LEB

Debian 6 vs Ubuntu 11 for 256Ram LEB

dantesdantes Member
edited July 2012 in Help

Hey,

I can't decide. Which of the above should I pick? What are the main differences between ubuntu and debian?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Well Ubuntu is Debian based :P

Personally, the reason why I choose Debian over Ubuntu is because (usually) on initial install Debian uses up less RAM than Ubuntu. Also some people state Ubuntu is too bloated (but I think it just works for other people).

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
  • The reason i choose Debian over Ubuntu is because Debian is more conservative with their packet management, so you don't have to login every day and do 10 updates.

Thanked by 1tux
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

installing mysql server on ubuntu is such a PITA

• rds100rds100 Member

Ubuntu is just broken debian. So i'd go with the less broken thing.

• JarJar Member

Both are fine. The main difference is how they manage their repositories, which is a preference for most people, and quite frankly not one that even matters to most people. But if you ask a bunch of old time unix nerds, Ubuntu is "hipster" (aka marketed to the end user) and is therefore significantly inferior.

Thanked by 2djvdorp HalfEatenPie
  • is this a real question? i wont use ubuntu if i really don't need them.

Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
  • Use Debian 6 for less memory usage :)

Most of my vps is using Debian 6. One of them is using Ubuntu 11 for the IPv6 testing purpose

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • JarJar Member
    edited July 2012

I've got a Ubuntu template running on 3mb of memory so it's not an issue of using less memory, but one of laziness simply installing Debian 6 minimal templates which more OpenVZ providers have better versions of than their Ubuntu counterparts because they'd rather not take the time to make one. Just the way it happened, no good reason.

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited July 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Use Debian 6 for less memory usage :)

Most of my vps is using Debian 6.

Same here, but ppl say ubuntu is more friendly to newbies, tho that matters for desktops. I would say start with debian, it should work. M

top - 22:32:38 up 906 days, 2:58, 1 user, load average: 3.94, 5.13, 8.38

• AndriAndri Member
    edited July 2012

@jarland said: Ubuntu is "hipster"

Then Debian is "retro". And I'm a retro. :D

I trust Namesilo for my domains. Use DOLLARLESS for $1 discount.
    Thanked by 1Jar
  • Nick_ANick_A Member

@Andri said: Then Debian is "retro". And I'm a retro. :D

What would a CentOS fan be?

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited July 2012

Neither Debian nor CentOS are retro, the only retro Linux currently in use is Slackware.

Thanked by 3Maounique Andri ska
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: Neither Debian nor CentOS are retro, the only retro Linux currently in use is Slackware.

Yep, but even I dont use that, and I started with 3.1... M

• @jarland said: Both are fine. The main difference is how they manage their repositories, which is a preference for most people, and quite frankly not one that even matters to most people. But if you ask a bunch of old time unix nerds, Ubuntu is "hipster" (aka marketed to the end user) and is therefore significantly inferior.

Hell no, Arch is hipster, the awkward Linux distro. :3

On topic though, Debian all the way.

• I don't think you would see any difference between Debian 6 and Ubuntu 11 other than Ubuntu 11 having software packages that are more current.

• AsimAsim Member

Why not compare with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

• yomeroyomero Member

Yesterday I was fighting with that crapppppp ubuntu.

Each day they add another layer to the sound system stack or wtf??? Is so complex and harder to debug. I prefer Debian and alsa, period.

On topic, both will use around the same RAM.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: the only retro Linux currently in use is Slackware

Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
  • MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited July 2012

@yomero said: Each day they add another layer to the sound system stack or wtf??? Is so complex and harder to debug.

I had once a problem with cmus, just got rid of pulseaudio and it worked... Sometimes it is just better when it's simple. But this is desktop stuff, sorry for derailling again :P M

• JarJar Member

Your linux installations have sound?

;)

• Yeah, my home server has sound as I listen to bbc through bluetooth 24/7. I mean it is always on, I just turn on the headphone or the speakers when I eat for example. M

• IsaiahIsaiah Member

Debian 6 vs. Ubuntu 11 for a 256RAM. — Debian would be the right choice for many reasons. In simple, you'll just have to try it to know the difference(s).

Minimum VPS Packages || "Good things come in small packages".
    Thanked by 1yomero
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

Debian for server, Ubuntu for desktop. I tried Ubuntu on server and it eats so much memory compared to debian.

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• I think there was some problem there. Ubuntu should not take much more ram as a server than debian. If you are over 15% more or so, something is wrong or the conditions are not the same. M

• JarJar Member

Ubuntu 12.04 minimal - 3mb ram Which like takes more memory again? ;)

• harryharry Member

prefered debian than ubuntu, when you run a server use debian

• nunimnunim Member

Debian 32 bit I find to be the best platform for low end vps, it consumes little memory, has apt-get (my favorite package management system). Packages are stable but sometimes a bit older, I will use Ubuntu when I require more current package versions without compiling from source/using testing repos.

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

• @nunim said: Debian 32 bit I find to be the best platform for low end vps, it consumes little memory, has apt-get (my favorite package management system). Packages are stable but sometimes a bit older, I will use Ubuntu when I require more current package versions without compiling from source/using testing repos.

Add Debian sid and you have the latest and blazing packages.

The Original Daniel.

• yomeroyomero Member

@MrLawoodle said: Add Debian sid and you have the latest and blazing packages.

Too complex, and most time dependencies break lot of stuff. Better to look for:

• Debian Lenny should use even less memory.

Reprise Hosting (AS62838) - 2x Intel Xeon L5520, 1TB SATA, 8GB memory, 10TB BW, $49/mo! promo. Cheap VPS.
    VPSHostingDeal.com - Low-cost self-managed OpenVZ + Xen cheap VPS hosting. Plans starting at $12 PER YEAR!

• OMG, this is some uber necromancy skill :)
    But, since is already brought back from the dead, I run now xrdp on 256 ram and heavy java freenet at the same time (OVZ). Debian 7.32 bit.
    Ubuntu server is well balanced so should do similarly well, but debian will be better overall.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Seems to me old timers started out with Debian and just stick with that. Ubuntu is the new hotness. I think because it is the first Linux OS the gamers use. Then when they are old enough to move out of the parents basement and do something useful with Linux they stick with Ubuntu. At least that's my theory.

My one complaint with Ubuntu is they keep moving stuff around from version to version. STOP DOING THAT!

• skaska Disabled

Well, I started with Slackware, went to Suse and ended up with Debian. I guess it's simply a matter of choice once you have a detailed overview of how the distros differ from each other.

Make:something
  • Ubuntu is just Debian with upstart. Why not Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? I haven't had a package update in ages.

DONG SQUAD 420
  • gbshousegbshouse Member
    edited August 2013

We run Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS x64 on all our servers (except Windows ones) and we are happy with it. I like the Ubuntu PPA as it allows us to build custom packages using their build servers so we do not have to keep our own repo box.

• I personally like debian more, Ubuntu 13.04 is much more lightweight than the others, 12.04 I do not know, it behaved slowed than Debian 6/7. I would go with debian

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@spekk said: I personally like debian more, Ubuntu 13.04 is much more lightweight than the others, 12.04 I do not know, it behaved slowed than Debian 6/7. I would go with debian

They are like 95% the exact same thing. Biggest differences are just what versions they use. How exactly did you reach those sort of conclusions?

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@NanoG6 said: installing mysql server on ubuntu is such a PITA

apt-get install -y mysql-server

What is so hard about that or am I missing something? It's easier then CentOS. It's already enabled after install and keeps reminding you to set a root password and the default config is reasonable and already includes bind-address=127.0.0.1. So more idiot proofed all around.

This is on 12.04 LTS. Can't speak for other versions.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • I'd go to Debain.

*LetBox.Com Amazing Unmetered VPS Boxes
  • Debian, because Debian.

• mpkossenmpkossen Administrator

@sman said:

I also wondered what the issue was/is. Ubuntu has one of the easiest MySQL installation procedures out there.

I recommend Prometeus and Vultr! | Follow @LowEndNetwork on Twitter and win a dedi!
    Check out my blog at mpkossen.com

• Debian 7 Wheezy

• @rds100 broken?..... you are broken. You just get every day updates.
    Better would be Debian 7 32bit minimal.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

either way it should be 32bit like @Infinity580 says, because it uses less RAM.

• Infinity, he said that a year ago

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • @netomx said: Infinity, he said that a year ago

It's not less true today, for small disks and memory 32bit is better, I would do the cut at 2 gb disk, 128 ram but to each his own, 256 is probably about the same, starting from 1 GB the benefits of 64 bit start to become aparent and if 100 mb more in disk is not a problem, is better to go with 64 on ovz at least.

• @Maounique said:

I'm not getting the picture; as I recall, @rds100 said that ubuntu is a broken version of Debian.

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • well, i quoted the wrong post then. I thought it is obvious it is about the 32 bit thing, not the ubuntu-debian discussion.

On that matter i stand on the debian side. But I agree Ubuntu makes better desktops and helped a few ppl cross the line in the linux camp.