Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Account logs off when RDP session disconnects
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Account logs off when RDP session disconnects

arjunkingarjunking Member
edited November 2014 in Help

Hi

I got a windows server 2012 vps from drserver and it came with RDP details. It doesn't have VNC. My aim is to run some softwares on the server. But as soon as I disconnect my session, the software stops working. Is there any solution to this?
Please help me.

Comments

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited November 2014

You're supposed to use services on Windows servers - it's more secure and won't stop on disconnect.

• @arjunking Can you tell me the software's name?

• Why don't you just install VNC then? Or TeamViewer?
    If you don't know what you are doing, youre going to get hacked and cause trouble for everyone on the Internet and yourself.

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited November 2014

If you have done everything right then contact Drservers and tell them it logs off when you
    disconnect your Remote Desktop Connections

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited November 2014

@ad0 said:
    If you have done everything right then contact Drservers and tell them it logs off when you
    disconnect your Remote Desktop Connections

He has not done everything right. Its his responsibility.

Why would DRServers have to fix his misconfiguration?

Why even order Windows if you don't know how to use it?

• How is it his fault? This isn't normal for application to close.

Did a little googling and found this for you:
    http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/200638-disconnecting-from-remote-desktop-causes-the-computer-to-log-off-user

@ItsChrisG said:

• arjunkingarjunking Member
    edited November 2014

@c1bl said:

arjunking Can you tell me the software's name? Those aren't common applications. Someone wrote them for me. One is .net and other is java application.

@ItsChrisG said:
    Why don't you just install VNC then? Or TeamViewer?
    If you don't know what you are doing, youre going to get hacked and cause trouble for everyone on the Internet and yourself.

I have clearly mentioned that i haven't been provided with VNC . Drserver didnt provide me with it. This isn't my first windows server but this is my first windows server without VNC. And the previous ones were windows 2003 so this is new for me.

@vladka24 said:
    How is it his fault? This isn't normal for application to close.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/200638-disconnecting-from-remote-desktop-causes-the-computer-to-log-off-user

Thanks man , will check it out.

Windows 2012 doesn't have remote desktop session host whereas windows 2008 used to have it so i am having difficulty in configuring it.

http://serverfault.com/questions/580916/stop-log-off-when-disconnected-from-rdp-session

Plus here ,it is clearly mentioned that the session isn't supposed to log off on disconnection by default.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Have you installed Remote Desktop Services on your server?
    Not needed if you only have two people connecting at one time (both have to be administrators).

Anyhow, if you installed RDS services you need to:

If you are in an AD environment create a GPO for your account or group. The policy you're looking for is User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Session Time Limits\Set time limit for active but idle Remote Desktop Services sessions (set to disabled).

If you are not in an AD environment you want to use Local Security Policy. The policy you're looking for here is

Local Policies\Security Options\Microsoft network server: Amount of idle time required before suspending session (set to 99999, or 208 days, which is the maximum).

Thats a possible solution.

Thanked by 2arjunking Maounique
  • ad0ad0 Member
    edited November 2014

@vladka24 said:
    How is it his fault? This isn't normal for application to close.

He has done everything right this is a Dr.Server fault he need's ask them. The reason could be how Dr.Server configured the server, he can log in RDP so it's shows he's done everything right.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@ad0 said:
    He has done everything right this is a Dr.Server fault he need's ask them. The reason could be how Dr.Server configured the server, he can log in RDP so it's shows he's done everything right.

I have a different opinion on this.
    Dr.Server deployed the server, how the actual server is configured is up to the customer. Unless the server is rebooting because of a hardware issue when the user disconnects I would says this is a config error done by the user.

I manage a customers infrastructure with, lets just say ALOT of 2012 servers and I have never seen this problem that an application would close when user disconnects.

It would be nice if the user could record the session from connect, start application, disconnect.
    To eliminate user issues.

• Whose mistake it is, is not the point. Thanks for the solution. Some will say , it is mine as I should know how to configure , some will say drserver as they had provided me with rdp details so they should have configured it properly. Anyways now they have refunded me and i have switched to vultr . Thanks for the solution again