Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

High RAM Provider

High RAM Provider

CiriumCirium Member
edited July 2012 in Providers

Hello everyone. I'll make it quick. I am looking for a High RAM OVZ Provider within the united states.

I am currently looking for

-5GB of RAM -1TB of bandwidth (Minimum) -10GB Disk

I am currently with ChicagoVPS, for $20 a month I get 4GB of ram, 2TB of bandwidth, 50GB Disk. However, the problem is, after talking with their staff, they seem to not offer anything above 4GB. 4GB RAM doesn't seem to be cutting it. So, I'm looking for 5GB of RAM.

I have looked everywhere around here trying to find a cheap provider with 5GB of RAM for less than $30 (Im shooting for 30)

Now I know its unlikely, but if anyone knows a provider with my requirements, or close to it I would love you to death if you could list them below.

-Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited July 2012

RamNode custom plan? You probably won't find anything cheaper than $30.

• NickMNickM Member

Just wondering.... what are you doing that you need that much RAM? The solution to memory problems doesn't always have to be "throw more RAM at it", you know...

Thanked by 2klikli Mon5t3r
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

try to PM @mistert . he mentioned before he provides high ram somewhere

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• CiriumCirium Member

@AsadHaider

Thanks. It helps. I have contacted them. However I feel that I may not have much luck. They seem to be sold out of all their VPS's starting with 1GB of RAM.

@NickM I actually run a popular minecraft server for a couple friends of mine. And surprisingly enough it does use that much RAM.

@jcaleb Will be contacting him shortly.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@Cirium said: I actually run a popular minecraft server for a couple friends of mine. And surprisingly enough it does use that much RAM.

What if you change virtualization? E.g. get a 2GB or 3GB KVM/XEN/OVZ+vswap ?

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• CiriumCirium Member

That could be a possibility.

However, according to my experience that will not differ the RAM under any circumstances.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator
    edited July 2012

Hold on.... how about location?

edit: here man is mistert website, you get get i think upto 8gb but in germany http://www.de-punkt.de/?pid=1000767&mode=vserver

his let offer post: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3490/individual-kvm-based-vps-located-in-germany-starting-at-477usd-379-eur

• NickMNickM Member

Ah, minecraft. Throw more RAM at it.

• @Cirium said: -5GB of RAM -1TB of bandwidth (Minimum) -10GB Disk

Build your own dedi + colocation?

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some), PM for details.

• @Cirium said: High RAM OVZ

And you know Java does not work too well with OVZ right? You probably only need 2GB of RAM to run this same server if you have used Xen or KVM...

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some), PM for details.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • TazTaz Disabled
    edited July 2012

nvm.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• CiriumCirium Member
    edited July 2012

@NickM well, what else can you do righ? I have used Xen VPS's and are currently on the OpenVZ (Due to ChicagoVPS's sick deal). I still end up needing high RAM like this.

@zhuanyi I'm to broke to afford that.

@NinjaHawk Minecraft.

• @Cirium If it's for minecraft, buy a kimsufi/hetzner, or if you want something US based then how about the $35 Dual Opteron 2216 datashack server?

https://www.datashack.net/dedicated/

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

Wait for IPXCore to roll out the configure it yourself, perhaps they will support ram as high as this.

• @AsadHaider said: If it's for minecraft, buy a kimsufi/hetzner, or if you want something US based then how about the $35 Dual Opteron 2216 datashack server?

@Cirium Here is your solution :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • CiriumCirium Member

@AsadHaider cool. I like that idea. I wasn't aware any dedicated server could be so low in price.

@jcaleb I have just under a month before my ChicagoVPS expires. Hopefully its sometime soon.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@Cirium I think what you like about ChicagoVPS is the price, have you tried pleading with Chris or jshinkle to give you 1GB more?

• u4iau4ia Member

Joe's Datacenter will colo a mid-tower for $50.month, and I'm pretty sure I saw a coupon floating around that would bring it to $40. Just a thought.

• luke_hluke_h Member

Hello Cirium.

May I offer you my company wares? http://www.creeperhost.net We have exactly what you are looking for :P We sell Minecraft hosting on Virtual Private Servers. Go give it a go :)

• JarJar Member

DixHost can probably set you up with 1TB ram for $4.50.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • @zhuanyi said: And you know Java does not work too well with OVZ right? You probably only need 2GB of RAM to run this same server if you have used Xen or KVM...

Where'd you get this from?

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

Try also the morher of summer posted by ninjahawk

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1173899

Thanked by 1Jar
  • luke_hluke_h Member

@jarland 1TB of Ram eh? That would be nice :P @Brandon +1

• CiriumCirium Member
    edited July 2012

@jcaleb I have with jshinkle and he doesn't seem to budge. Will be seeing if Chris is around somewhere. And well yeah, why not get the best price you can. @u4ia Used them before. They're not bad. Considering that aswell. @luke_h Looking into it. @jarland Looks okay, however if crap ever went down, I only speak English. @Brandon The last time I was on Xen I needed 3GB of RAM, and I only had a few players back then. Now I have 3 times that many players. I'm not so sure about that.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

I hope you find a good home soon.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator
    edited July 2012

another, try pm bijian of http://neuronhosting.com they specialized on minecraft they seem to have 6GB. priced at 54$ but you might get some arrangement

• TazTaz Disabled

@jcaleb mother of memory :D

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Look for a cloud ... but it will cost you more than 30 dollars. Pick up a dataschack server ... starting at 35 dollars a month and get the 8 gb ram package. Total will be 45 dollars a month ... this will be the cheapest solution.

Great budget VPS hosting @ http://basshost.com

• vdnetvdnet Member

Cirium,

What's your physpages count in /proc/user_beancounters?

I bet our application servers could do wonders for you. Usually we see up to 20% less RAM usage than Xen and up to 30% less RAM usage than UBC for application hosting, so 5GB UBC could potentially fit on 3GB.

ByteOnSite :: Affordable cloud VPS, 7 years of experience

• CiriumCirium Member

@vdnet

physpages 190057 845819 0 2147483647

• vdnetvdnet Member

That right there tells me you are using 742MB of actual RAM pages and have bursted to 3.3GB. So you would fit right in on our 3GB RAM server with SWAP. Right now running SAVE20 to save 20% off. If it doesn't work for you, I'll refund you.

ByteOnSite :: Affordable cloud VPS, 7 years of experience

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited July 2012

@Cirium your peak ram usage since the last time your beancounters reset was 3304mb on that VPS, which isn't much more than 3gb RAM.

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • PatsPats Member

@jarland said: DixHost can probably set you up with 1TB ram for $4.50

u sure? or u didn't have your coffee today.. :)

• jshinklejshinkle Disabled

Don't worry, he has pleaded. Generally not opposed to doing more than 4GB of ram, but there comes a point in which things need to move off of VPS's to dedicated servers to support the eventual I/O load and the eventual CPU load.

With that, we told him that the cost of his ram would go up from the normal price to the next tier pricing so that we can shift and move VPS's around and possibly his so that he can be more isolated with the amount of resources he is requesting and requiring.

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/Xen Based - SolusVM Control Panel - TUN/PPP/FUSE/SIT/GRE - cPanel/DirectAdmin/Parallels - Chicago/Buffalo/LA Coming Soon! - Great Support!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • klikliklikli Member

As mentioned OVZ is the problem but anyway AWS EC2 with Spot Instance might be what you want. ~USD$20/mo for a 7.5GB cloud. (I used the current prices to estimate the monthly cost)

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

• biplabbiplab Member

@Cirium,

You can try this WHT offer. Note that I have no experience with them.

• Nick_ANick_A Member

@AsadHaider said: RamNode custom plan? You probably won't find anything cheaper than $30.

Ha, nothing that cheap from us even.

OP - time for a shameless plug for our Minecraft brand - www.minecraftlayer.com. Out of your price range, but that's where I direct everyone who asks to run MC on our VPSs. You -can- run it on ours, but we don't advise it for various reasons.

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

@jcaleb said: Wait for IPXCore to roll out the configure it yourself, perhaps they will support ram as high as this.

It will, however, base price on that amount of ram would be $40 on our current pricing scheme for ram.

Additionally, after speaking with @jshinkle at length about other things: if he's not willing to increase ram arbitrarily, then there's probably a good reason. So not sure if we would want the business on one of our standard nodes.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • JarJar Member

@AsadHaider said: if you want something US based then how about the $35 Dual Opteron 2216 datashack server?

Tweaked that bad boy tonight. Never seen a Minecraft server run so smooth.

• Minecraft servers require the following.

RAM. Lots of it. I've seen as much as 128MB/player in some cases, depending on how stupid you configure everything.

CPU. Bukkit, to my knowledge only runs on two cores. One for the "main" processing, the other, for the "offloading" of some things, I don't know if they finished making it off-load terrain gen to the second core yet.

HDD IO. This is the speed that you're going to map gen. I reccomend SSD's or atleast a RAID0 HDD setup. Anything else, you find yourself with many users; lagging, le. feck. out.

Also, make sure that your MC Server is using a localhost MYSQL Server, as remote servers will slow everything down, that's if you plan on using MYSQL and not Flat-Files (Sometimes useful).

I would also look into using a Debian Distro and then using Minstall, after this just simply install java 7 and you're good to go, I wouldnt perhaps host your website & your MC server on the same server, that's just standard. Use IPXCore for their webhosting if you're going to want something cheap, but effective :']!

Hope i've somewhat helped, I'm full of cold and in a rush, so I dont doubt you not being able to make any sense of this.

Systems Administrator | IWFHosting

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

• JarJar Member

Wait, bukkit is using a second core? I've been out of this game too long, even a little bit handed off to a second core would be wonderful.

• PADPAD Member

Half of your problem is configuration, let me see your almost certainly terrible configuration. ;)

Thanked by 1Jar
  • Nick_ANick_A Member

@jarland said: Wait, bukkit is using a second core? I've been out of this game too long, even a little bit handed off to a second core would be wonderful.

Yep. You can pass off garbage collection to other cores, for instance.

Thanked by 1Jar
  • @Jarland it was using a second core; from about #800 I think? But only offloading some functions.

They were working on make it offload terrain generation to secondry core in 1500~ I think? However, servers would be consistently using only ~15% of the second core, without terrain offloading...

I've been out a while too;' need to catch up.

Systems Administrator | IWFHosting

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

Thanked by 1Jar
  • DamianDamian Member

@Nick_A said: ep. You can pass off garbage collection to other cores, for instance.

How can I force this to happen?

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • luke_hluke_h Member
    edited July 2012

@Damian You can't. It does it automatically (normally). I also advise using craftbukkit++ as well, much better than the original bukkit but has broken some plugins which have been patched, I know for a fact that Citizens won't work on craftbukkit++

And for the love of god, don't use Spout.

• I think at 5gb you're likley to start pissing providers off with excessive I/O.

Its time for you to go dedicated.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Op for that much of ram, if you want to use vps, Ger a ssd powered one. Or get a dedicated.

• @NinjaHawk said: Or get a dedicated.

+1. I'd say you're better off just getting a cheap dedicated server.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
  • Nick_ANick_A Member

@Damian said: How can I force this to happen?

I just make McMyAdmin do it :P

But you can find the right Java flags on the internet...somewhere...