Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Help us with Beta testing - Free KVM VPS for testing

Help us with Beta testing - Free KVM VPS for testing

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hello,

So the past 5 days were way too long. Problems kept appearing one after another with my new provider (Talking about Limestonenetworks). Anyway, finally everything is resolved and I am ready to move the KVM testing from my dev server to a production server and I was hoping that you guys can test it out for 10 days, do whatever you want with it and in the meantime review the performance and give me feedback and suggestions on improving the quality.

It is planned to release a new line of KVM beta servers along with other new improvements, on my first anniversary after 1 whole year in the hosting industry. So far I have been testing it in a clsoe enviroment, without other users on the node, now I was hoping to see how the things work out with 10-20 users on a production node.

The node itself is: E3 1230 v2 16GB of RAM, ready to be upgraded to 32GB if needed for the testing 4x750GB WD HDDs in hardware RAID10

The beta plans are: Hdd Space: 50GB CPU Cores: 4 RAM: 512MB Bandwidth: 400GB Port: 100mbps

Upgrades are possible, just include your reason for additional resources in your request.

A couple of things that are important as well: - This plan comes with absolutely no SLA or uptime guarantee - This package will be cancelled and terminated on 28th of July 2012. - Please do not keep absolutely no valuable data on this VPS, as random data-loss might occur. We should not be held responsible for any data loss.

And finally the order link: https://liquid-solutions.biz/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=51

The ISO's are: CentOS 5.8 32/64 bit netinstall CentOS 6.3 32/64 bit netinstall Debian 6 netinstall More can be added on request

And apologise for my bad English

Disclosure: I work for Query Foundry LLC.
I own DA International Group Ltd.

Comments

• @joodle said: Stress testing allowed?

Preferably not atleast at the begining, as I asume that everyone that signs up would start doing different benchmarks. Maybe in a couple of days if you are still up to it?

• May I have one?

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Member
    edited July 2012

@kbar said: .biz ?

The .com domain is myne as well and redirects to the same website. Anyway, the thread is about something else, hoping not to get the thread derailed, atleast before I get a couple of results and feedbacks.

@ErawanArifNugroho said: May I have one?

Yes of course, just sign up through the link in the begining :) It should be delivered automatically.

• flyfly Member

either vnc or debian netinstall is crashing a lot and is really slow... might wanna take a look

• VNC Kept Crashing for me; the one on Solus anyway. I got debian installed fine.

Systems Administrator | IWFHosting

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

• flyfly Member

yeah vnc kept crashing for me as well.... and apparently partitioner is frozen

edited July 2012

Did you by any chance use the "back" button to get on the control page for the VPS? I found out that on my side if I kept the page opened (the one for VNC), it does not close.

Debian install works fine, just tested it.

@kbar said: partitioner is frozen

Can you elabore this? As it seems to be installing fine?

• flyfly Member

first time it crashed saying something about sockets or w/e... second time it just hung at the place where you select locales, and right now it's moving 1% per 5 or so minutes on partitioning the disk.

• @kbar said: first time it crashed saying something about sockets or w/e... second time it just hung at the place where you select locales, and right now it's moving 1% per 5 or so minutes on partitioning the disk.

This is extremely weird. I will make sure to check the VNC thing, if possible to take a screenshot or just copy the error the next time it appears, as it has not happened to be About the HDD, it gets weirder as I have just installed debian without a problem, but I did use standard partitioning.

• netomxnetomx Member

I want IF you let me to install a win3.11 image =) hahaha

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • @netomx said: I want IF you let me to install a win3.11 image =) hahaha

Sure, link me to the ISO. I wonder how 3.11 looks.

• I'll do a full review later / tomorrow..

Here's the freevps bench test.

root@kvmbeta:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.1
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3300.220 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 501 MB
    Total amount of swap : 979 MB
    System uptime :   6 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 10.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.94MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 5.10MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.45MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 434KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 9.11MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 3.42MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 5.08MB/s
    I/O speed :  80.6 MB/s

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

• TaylorTaylor Member

They went out of stock quick /;

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• @Taylor said: They went out of stock quick /;

Experiencing some node problems, apperantely a process is eating a huge amount of RAM and working on resolving it. Only 7 are deployed at the moment, I will reopen the page ASAP I get this resolved.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@LiquidHost said: Experiencing some node problems, apperantely a process is eating a huge amount of RAM and working on resolving it. Only 7 are deployed at the moment, I will reopen the page ASAP I get this resolved.

Make sure to @Taylor me when you do :P

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• I will restart the node in 5 minutes to apply some updates, hopefully noone would start anything then.

edited July 2012

As mentioned, server had to be rebooted ASAP, there were problems with memory allocation, I posted it on the previous post.

Also, taking a look at your issue, as all the other users installed debian in a couple of minutes, something is wrong with your partitioning. Did you do anything custom or left it as default?

• @LiquidHost personally I just installed it as standard, using GUI and only using "reccomended" options, being this my first KVM VPS :P

• @eastonch said: @LiquidHost personally I just installed it as standard, using GUI and only using "reccomended" options, being this my first KVM VPS :P

It was targeted at @kbar :) As he has been stuck on partitioning for 20-30 minutes.

• netomxnetomx Member

@LiquidHost said: Sure, link me to the ISO. I wonder how 3.11 looks.

Let me get it, I'll send it tonight =)

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • netomxnetomx Member

damn, out of stock :(

• @netomx said: damn, out of stock :(

Just to figure out something on the allocations, stock will be added in an hour

• netomxnetomx Member

@LiquidHost said: Just to figure out something on the allocations, stock will be added in an hour

I hop eI can get one =)

• If, we like this. How much is it ?

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • Is this with virtio driver? I was getting around 190MB/s IO with dd, but might be under a load.

• JackJack Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Some of benchmark is here :

http://www.lebstats.com/2012/07/18/liquidhost-kvm-beta-testing.html

I bought mylowendboxs.com :)

• nice :)

@Jack said: I bought mylowendboxs.com :)

• @LiquidHost said: Is this with virtio driver? I was getting around 190MB/s IO with dd, but might be under a load.

How do I use the virtio?

• JackJack Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said: How do I use the virtio?

Go into SolusVM ..

Go to settings i think

Disk driver at the bottom click drop down...

select virtio

reboot

• I can only find virtio in Network Card option. Is that it?

• JackJack Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said: I can only find virtio in Network Card option. Is that it?

No is there not a disk driver?

• Nope :( At another provider, it's there, and I can easily change it. But in this beta kvm, I can't find it

• Nope, just checked myself.

Give me a second, there is someone from solusVM logged in to the node checking up the RAM allocation .

• My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • @Jack said: Go into SolusVM ..

Go to settings i think

Disk driver at the bottom click drop down...

select virtio

reboot

only "if"..

@LiquidHost do /scripts/upcp-beta

Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
    Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
    edited July 2012

@Mon5t3r said: @LiquidHost do /scripts/upcp-beta

Was just doing it :)

Anyway, the disk driver should appear now. Also, the memmory allocation problem is now resolved.

EDIT: I did think that virtio driver option was available in stable release as well, as it is available at the admin side. Didnt even bother to log through a user panel, not even on my dev node. Weird.

EDIT2: About the IO:

[root@115-242-63-74 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.26191 s, 171 MB/s

Not great, but reasonable for the server and should keep around 90MB/s on filled node.

5 more are added as stock, more will be added tommorow, just want to keep it slower.

• Well, 12 VMs have been sold and only 2 of the users responded to this thread (kbar and Erawan). What a shame. I will wait a couple of days for feedback from them and if I do not get any feedback, I will cancel them and give the VMs to someone that would do the testing.

• ZRBLOGZRBLOG Member

:( Out of Stock

Welcome to My BlogVPS-Hosting-Server
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited July 2012

@LiquidHost said: Well, 12 VMs have been sold and only 2 of the users responded to this thread (kbar and Erawan). What a shame. I will wait a couple of days for feedback from them and if I do not get any feedback, I will cancel them and give the VMs to someone that would do the testing.

You have to give people a little more time, a week at least. It's not even been a full day, not everyone has spare time, granted most of them will still end up idle it's the hallmark of a LEB.

@ZRBLOG said: ZRBLOG 10:18PM FlagThanks Member Out of Stock

Indeed.

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

• @nunim said: You have to give people a little more time, a week at least. It's not even been a full day, not everyone has a lot of spare time. Granted most of them will end up idle, the hallmark of a LEB.

Yes, I will give them more time. I am waiting for my /26 block now and will set up more VPS. I just tend to post always when I get a test vps to try out, while signing up, just for the provider to see that I do take it realtively serious and will indeed do something. I have actually already terminated a user that ordered 3 -.-

• netomxnetomx Member

out of stock :(

• @LiquidHost : Just in case, we like with the vps, how much will it sold?

• @netomx said: out of stock :(

They got sold out.. Once my /26 arrives there will be plenty for everyone.

Anyway @ErawanArifNugroho The plans would be as follows: 512MB 30GB RAM 400 BW 7$ monthly

and 4$ monthly for a 256MB one.

Atleast this is what I am considering, most likely will go with that setup.

• edited July 2012

Thank you :) And I saw more function is SolusVM. I will try another benchmark this evening :)

• netomxnetomx Member

30GB RAM for $7 ?? Count me in!

Thanked by 1jcaleb