Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions on DNS Zone, What's TTL ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions on DNS Zone, What's TTL ??

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

In the DNS Zone, If I add two IPv4 to a Specific HostName, which it will point to ?? Let Me make it clear.

Suppose, I have a domain name abcd.com.

I created a Sub-Domain (sub.abcd.com), It's not like Sub-Domain but I've created 2 Zones like this & if I point sub.abcd.com to:

sub.abcd.com => 1.2.3.4
sub.abcd.com => 5.6.7.8
  1. Then, to which IPv4 sub.abcd.com will point ?? [I heard that it depends on the visitor, low latency/routing will be preferred]

2. If I want that firstly, it will try to connect to 1.2.3.4 and if it doesn't get any response it'll later connect to 5.6.7.8 or Vice-Versa, then what's the process of doing this ??

3. I saw Something TTL (Time to Live) in DNS Zone. What's it & what are it's usage? Does it have any impact on the above?? Like, if I set TTL to 1 or 2 seconds ??

Regards,

Mahfuz.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited November 2014

3) TTL is time to live, basically it controls how often DNS servers will check with the authoritative nameserver to see if its changed.

From what you have described you want to look at DNS that supports failover; Rage4 from @gbshouse does.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    1. No, it's just so called round robin. Both ips will be returned in random order.
    2. Usually it's handled by end user OS/browser
    3. TTL describes the period of time for which the record is valid. Usually it's used by public/caching DNS for faster responses. After TTL expire new valus are fetched from main DNS servrr