Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ubuntu server partitioning
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu server partitioning

DH22DH22 Member
edited November 2014 in Help

I am getting my first dedicated server (technically 2nd, but the other was only a cheap low spec atom). Been managing VPSs for a couple years so should be able to get by well enough. However, I need to tell them partitioning and not sure what to use.

I will be using Ubuntu 14.04 with 2x1TB drives in raid 1 and 16GB RAM. Server primarily will be used for hosting 5-10 WordPress sites with nginx. I might put some of them within their own VPS. I will also be running a game server which will use less than 1GB of space.

I don't see myself using more than 300GB of space at most for web hosting. Since I will have quite a bit more space I might use it for backing up files from my desktop and VPSs hosted elsewhere.

Want to send them partition info soon, so any quick advice on what to use is much appreciated.

Comments

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited November 2014

said: I might put some of them within their own VPS

This is what Docker was made for.

said: so any quick advice on what to use is much appreciated.

Just use LVM, modify partition sizes when the disks are mounted. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lvm