Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Configure-it-yourself VPS plans

Configure-it-yourself VPS plans

DamianDamian Member
edited July 2012 in Providers

We're getting close to releasing custom VPS packages. You'll be able to use a slider to select how much ram/disk/bandwidth/IPs you want.

Due to the way the Solus module works, they will have to be manually provisioned, however, we're "here" for sales for about 18 hours a day.

How important is instant provisioning to you? Would you be able to tolerate manual provisioning to get the exact resources you want?

OR: There's a way to make it do automatic provisioning, but it prevents the memory from being granular on a single-digit level. Would you like being able to select your disk/bandwidth/IPs if your ram were selected from a drop-down box? I'd probably make the RAM divided by 16mb.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.

Comments

• Option to have our own package is nice :) Some place I've tried is less than 3 hours :)

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • 18 hours a day for each or take turns ? If each, then it is IPX(hard)core. M

top - 22:32:38 up 906 days, 2:58, 1 user, load average: 3.94, 5.13, 8.38

Thanked by 2Amfy ipxadam
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Member
    edited July 2012

http://www.whmcsslider.com/ ? I think I got license for that... If not I was planning into getting one and integrating it with my new site, but the thing that bothers me is the manual setup..

Disclosure: I work for Query Foundry LLC.
    I own DA International Group Ltd.
  • DamianDamian Member

@Maounique said: 18 hours a day for each or take turns ? If each, then it is IPX(hard)core.

There's 3 of us, and all of our "awake" times overlap from about 3am to 10pm. We're all on-call 24/7 for issues otherwise.

@LiquidHost said: http://www.whmcsslider.com/ ? I think I got license for that... If not I was planning into integrating it with my new site, but the thing that bothers me is the manual setup..

It's not that, it's the one that comes free with WHMCS.

• TazTaz Disabled

Whmcs already offers configurable option selection. using the regular configurable option. Nothing difficult. only issue, solus will not create package from whmcs. Manual Slave labour. Si Necesita mexicano's amigo! :P

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @Damian said: It's not that, it's the one that comes free with WHMCS.

Never knew there is a one that comes free xD

Anyway, I usually get orders for custom quotes via emails. In my opinion the clients don't mind waiting a couple of hours for custom servers.

• DamianDamian Member

Updated original post with another idea that makes it automatic provision but not able to directly select your memory value.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@Damian I hope you use your 32MB package as a base for this option (:

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• KairusKairus Member

@Damian said: if your ram were selected from a drop-down box? I'd probably make the RAM divided by 16mb.

That sounds like a good option. Most people are going to stick to the standard 32, 64, 96, 128, 192, etc.

• Nick_ANick_A Member

@Damian said: Updated original post with another idea that makes it automatic provision but not able to directly select your memory value.

Yeah the dropdown idea should work great.

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • TazTaz Disabled

@Damian You can offer backup vps with that sorta option. Typically, lower memory + higher resource doesn't work together for average web usage and the vice versa applies as well.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• manual provisioning makes it very flexible in choosing the node. Someone needs a lot of space, a little cpu and ram ? Put it on a server where io is low and cpu hammered, for example. Live migration will allow for specializing in this market. I hope one day every host will offer something special, and plans wont be comparable on just 10-15 criteria only, with epic reviews spanning 3-4 posts :) M

• DanielMDanielM Disabled

Dont make this mistake. Its a huge cash loss

• @DanielM said: Dont make this mistake. Its a huge cash loss

I think it depends. I am willing to pay a premium for that. I.e. space 1 dollar, ram 1 dollar, cpu 1 dollar, bw 1 dollar of the standard plan. I want double bw but half space, cpu and ram. Normal price 3.5 dollars, but i am ok with 4. If they make a scheme to put this in practice, could be a good way to get customers and manage resources. It is not easy, but can be done. Who does this will discover the holy graal. M

• flyfly Member

what if you made a slider, and then each possible config is a specific ID, which pipes into solus to create the specified plan. I know it's hacky, but it's definitely better than manual provision...

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited July 2012

Look at this suggestion: Put a minimal plan like the 32 ram one, then sliders with double the cost for each resource that is in demand, and the cost price of the resource which is not in demand. It should work out well. Further tweaks are possible also. If you are to provision manually, at least make the most of it. A good economist can do a model if you have lots of records, determine cost per resource and the value of each unit for the market. We should get out of the amateurish hosting and start the scientific era :) M

• PatsPats Member

@kbar said: pipes into solus to create the specified plan

+1 http://wiki.solusvm.com/API:Admin

• DamianDamian Member

@DanielM said: Dont make this mistake. Its a huge cash loss

Can you give more input on this?

@kbar said: what if you made a slider, and then each possible config is a specific ID, which pipes into solus to create the specified plan. I know it's hacky, but it's definitely better than manual provision...

12288000000 possible configs if I left the RAM slider at 1 MB increment.. I don't think I want to deal with that many configs :X

• I wouldnt go with the automatic and let the machine decide where to provision. I mean, it can be automated, but the machine will need an extremely complicated algorithm to provision taking into consideration the load on each machine and resources. It is possible, but if they can do it manually, better set the price at the sliders first. M

• Something like this @Damian? http://tailoredvps.com/

Systems Administrator | IWFHosting

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

@Maounique said: I wouldnt go with the automatic and let the machine decide where to provision. I mean, it can be automated, but the machine will need an extremely complicated algorithm to provision taking into consideration the load on each machine and resources. It is possible, but if they can do it manually, better set the price at the sliders first. M

That's actually what I was learning towards, too. Then it also lets me review each order for things like 10 megabytes of ram, 500gb disk space, and 8 gigabytes of transfer. Then I can contact them and ask are you suuuuuuure?

And if people want immediate gratification, the "regular" plans will still be available and still be auto-provision. This isn't intended to replace our current plans.

• DamianDamian Member

@eastonch said: Something like this @Damian? http://tailoredvps.com/

Yes, but not as structured. Want 163mb of ram, with 229 gigabytes of ram and 306 gigabytes of transfer? We can do that.

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited July 2012

I have seen some "configure it yourself" offers, typically those are completely uninteresting compared to "prebuilt" plans from other providers. Because as soon as you select all the specs to match some other provider's prebuilt plan, it turns out you'll have to pay 2x more than with the other provider. Or something like that.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • DamianDamian Member

@kbar said: @damian you shouldn't allow 1MB increments. how are you going to budget your RAM?

Not sure what you mean by budget my ram?

Additionally, running into a problem there. We sell RAM for $1 per 128mb, which would be $0.0078125 per megabyte, but WHMCS won't accept values of less than $0.01...

• DamianDamian Member

@rm_ said: I have seen some "configure it yourself" offers, typically those are completely uninteresting compared to "prebuilt" plans from other providers. Because as soon as you select all the specs to match some other provider's prebuilt plan, it turns out you'll have to pay 2x more than with the other provider. Or something like that.

I've seen these too, and i'm not sure why. Ours will be on the same price point as plans.

• KuroKuro Member

@Damian said: Want 163mb of ram, with 229 gigabytes of ram and 306 gigabytes of transfer? We can do that.

:O

@Damian said: Additionally, running into a problem there. We sell RAM for $1 per 128mb, which would be $0.0078125 per megabyte, but WHMCS won't accept values of less than $0.01...

Why not increments of 8MB?

• DamianDamian Member

@Kuro said: :O

Oops, that's not going to work!

@Kuro said: Why not increments of 8MB?

It requires me to copy/paste a line manually for each value. I did about 4 of them with 16mb of ram and thought it was crap then. Might only do 16mb increments up to 256mb, then switch to 128mb increments

• DamianDamian Member

Need to figure out how to do configurable options for less-than-1-cent per each.

• I'm ok with this.

Catalyst Host - Pie Approved!
  • TazTaz Disabled
    edited July 2012

Can we get negative pricing :P

• blackblack Member

$0.58? Do want.

Download and upload speedtest: wget dl.getipaddr.net/speedtest.sh -O- | bash || You can find my other useful scripts on GitHub. Free Proxy Detection || You can contact me on Twitter

• @Damian said: Need to figure out how to do configurable options for less-than-1-cent per each.

I would not suggest allowing orders <1$ to pass. Simpply there will be a couple of cents left for you after taxes get paid.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

I've got a support ticket in with WHMCS. I expect to hear from them sometime next never.

@black said: $0.58? Do want.

We sell the same thing for $0.50/month.

@NinjaHawk said: Can we get negative pricing :P

Sure, but it'll be negative service :P

• DamianDamian Member

@LiquidHost said: I would not suggest allowing orders <1$ to pass. Simpply there will be a couple of cents left for you after taxes get paid.

That's another good point for manual activation: being able to mandate a minimum transaction, and then for orders that are less than $1, incrementing the payment interval for quarterly or more.

• blackblack Member

@Damian Order link?

Download and upload speedtest: wget dl.getipaddr.net/speedtest.sh -O- | bash || You can find my other useful scripts on GitHub. Free Proxy Detection || You can contact me on Twitter

• Sounds like fun @Damian! Still curious how you will pull this off though :]

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

• DamianDamian Member

@black said: Order link?

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/3384/ipxcore-32mb-openvz-vps-for-50-cents-per-month

@eastonch said: Still curious how you will pull this off though :]

WHMCS is the one giving me grief now. If I can get it licked, then we'll be able to open it up for beta testing.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Member
    edited July 2012

I have opened a ticket at that guys selling the configurable options addon that I linked above. Appears it is not really usefull, as the scroller would not work for automatic provisioning (as already mentioned) and the drop-down menu seems ugly. It is easy to confgiure, though. Atleast from the SS I got. It might save you some time if you deside to check them out

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited July 2012

How is it going to work if someone wants like 500gb storage and 128 mb ram? Wouldn't that node bring in a lower average profit? I can't see this being profitable in the traditional VPS format.

Anyhow, I think WHMCS allows the creation of custom solus packages independently with their latest module. I know for sure it allows 1 package to be upgraded however you want.

So have one package and have upgrade able RAM, HDD, CPU, Bandwidth and IPv4/IPv6.

(LOL) Like solus support will say refer to this article http://wiki.solusvm.com/index.php/WHMCS_Module_v3#Version_3.2_Stable_.282011.2F12.2F08.29

Great budget VPS hosting @ http://basshost.com

• @BassHost ; Another reason for manual processing, they can see oh look, we have a node that has xTB left, and xGB ram left, we have this one order for that amount, we can do it by doing this.. and this...

I assume @Damian will be eventually getting a "storage" node; just for "Storage VPS's" like @Francisco has with BuyVM.

• @eastonch said: I assume @Damian will be eventually getting a "storage" node; just for "Storage VPS's" like @Francisco has with BuyVM.

BuyVM, bringing you features everyone will copy and claim they innovated it months in advance.

See: SSD caches

Francisco

BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based / TUN, PPTP, FUSE, SIT & GRE Enabled! / Stallion Control Panel
  • @Francisco Hmm?

It's not something you've got "unique" by having a node just for storage VPS's, just marketing it differently.

• subigosubigo Member

@Francisco said: BuyVM, bringing you features everyone will copy and claim they innovated it months in advance.

See: SSD caches

lolwhat?

• KairusKairus Member

@Francisco said: BuyVM, bringing you features everyone will copy and claim they innovated it months in advance.

BuyVM: shoving their heads up their own asses.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • DamianDamian Member

@BassHost said: How is it going to work if someone wants like 500gb storage and 128 mb ram? Wouldn't that node bring in a lower average profit? I can't see this being profitable in the traditional VPS format.

It'll work because I will be able to better keep track of what's actually sold. Right now, the only thing that gets 100% resource utilization are the 32mb plans. People buy our larger plans, but don't use all of the resources. So can I sell the resources they're not using? What if they start using them? Then what? If I can sell custom plans that people purchase exactly what they want with the expectation(?) that they use all of what they purchase, it'll be MUCH easier for me to anticipate resource usage and buy/build new servers.

@eastonch said: I assume @Damian will be eventually getting a "storage" node

We've already got plenty of unutilized space on our nodes; no need for specialized storage nodes. (yet)

@Kairus said: BuyVM: shoving their heads up their own asses.

Not helpful, be kind to your fellow human beings :)

• SatelliteSatellite Member
    edited July 2012

@damian It's probably not worth it to have customizability to the extent that people can select their plan down to the single digit MB. Go with 16mb or even 32mb.

Expand:

The only person I see making any claims is you. You're far from the first to use SSD caching, nice try. And claiming you're the first person to think about backing up to VPSes is just laughable.

Get over yourself, TIA.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@Damian how much is storage per GB per month? I think hostigation is around 4 cents

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• namename Member

@Satellite said: It's probably not worth it to have customizability to the extent that people can select their plan down to the single digit MB. Go with 16mb or even 32mb.

I agree, If it takes too much time tweaking whmcs and solusvm why not do it simple.

I'm a stupid cat, don't blame me.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@name said: I agree, If it takes too much time tweaking whmcs and solusvm why not do it simple.

+1

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host